• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Flat Earth

hfd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Flat Earth Society is alive and well. It is currently headed up by a gentleman named Daniel Shenton"

"The Flat Earth Society is an active organization currently led by a Virginian man named Daniel Shenton. Though Shenton believes in evolution and global warming, he and his hundreds, if not thousands, of followers worldwide also believe that the Earth is a disc that you can fall off of."

Ingenious 'Flat Earth' Theory Revealed In Old Map | LiveScience

The Flat Earth Society is alive and well. It is currently headed up by a gentleman named Daniel Shenton"

"The Flat Earth Society is an active organization currently led by a Virginian man named Daniel Shenton. Though Shenton believes in evolution and global warming, he and his hundreds, if not thousands, of followers worldwide also believe that the Earth is a disc that you can fall off of."

Well, you have all sorts of crazies in the world, what's your point? Look at this group:

Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

Well I believe it was Stephen Hawking in a Brief History of time who theorized that the universe exists more like the surface of a balloon and that if you traveled long enough in any one direction you would eventually end up back at the place you started. So it is really just a matter of scale and relative perception.

Predictability is grand.:D But, seriously, how could a guy who buys into solid science like evolution and global warming believe the earth is flat. That's generally reserved for fundamental Christians and the like, correct?

We should allow this alternative theory to be taught in every geography class.

:lol: ;)
teach_the_controversy_t-shirt_designs.jpg

Have you ever tried to argue with them on their forums? I have, and had never been more frustrated in my life. Arguing with the religious is one thing, as we cannot explicitly prove God does not exist, but it is explicitly known that the Earth is a sphere. They are some of he most bigoted people in the world. Even more bigoted than creationists, as the fact that the Earth is a sphere can very easily be understood and realised.

....and this is an "issue" worthy of POLITICAL debate because????

....and this is an "issue" worthy of POLITICAL debate because????

Why is it not. I find it exceedingly interesting that the main guy of the flat earth group clings to evolution and global warming. It is generally the rule that in ridiculing those who question such things are equated to flat earthers. Evidently not so. Surely a person with your intellect can see the delicious irony in such a revelation.

Were thought the earth to be flat yesterday today it is said to sphere who knows what tomorrow will bring

I do trust satellite images that it is in fact a sphere:)

Have you ever tried to argue with them on their forums? I have, and had never been more frustrated in my life. Arguing with the religious is one thing, as we cannot explicitly prove God does not exist, but it is explicitly known that the Earth is a sphere. They are some of he most bigoted people in the world. Even more bigoted than creationists, as the fact that the Earth is a sphere can very easily be understood and realised.
I just want them to explain why the equations used in geodetics work on this Flat Earth of theirs. ;)

Why is it not. I find it exceedingly interesting that the main guy of the flat earth group clings to evolution and global warming. It is generally the rule that in ridiculing those who question such things are equated to flat earthers. Evidently not so. Surely a person with your intellect can see the delicious irony in such a revelation.

Hitler was a vegetarian.

[/thread]

Last edited:
"Johnny told Lucy the world must be flat,people leave town they never come back."

"Small Town Saturday Night"
-Hank Hetchum

At least teach the controversy and let the students decide for themselves, right?

:)

I often wonder what it would take to convert a Flat Earth'er to believe in a Global Earth? Any Thoughts?

:lamo Yes, of course, but I mean.. would a trip into the outer reaches of the atmosphere, where you can visually see the curvature of the earth, and to circumnavigate the globe..... do you think that would do it? Or would they say that you've drugged them and caused them to hallucinate?

From what I've read, they are just merry pranksters, making fun of our science-addicted self-importance. It all started with the Bedford Level Experiment that triggered a long series of confusing and often comical situations involving both credentialed scientists and well-meaning amateurs.

I presume there are also some Biblical literalists who actually think that Earth is flat - because Satan takes Jesus to a tall mountain from where he could see "all kingdoms of the world", for example - but they must be a tiny minority even among Biblical literalists: after all, the Church had accepted the Aristotelian idea of spherical Earth from the beginning...

I often wonder what it would take to convert a Flat Earth'er to believe in a Global Earth? Any Thoughts?
One sub-orbital space flight, similar to John Glenn's, and it's all over ... :)

Back
Top Bottom