• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First on CNN: Federal judge orders former top lawyers in Trump’s White House to testify in criminal grand jury probe

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Can they take the 5th?

MAGA...making attorneys get attorneys.

The day trump won, I said to those around me, maybe he'll be the final nail in the gop coffin?

Look at the people the gop has elected over the years, nixon, reagan, bush sr.,W and then trump. A succession of losers and crooks.

When will the base of the gop realize these people are not out for you mr and mrs working person, they are out for them. Why would you want a union representing you with better pay and benefits when you can work in a 'right to work' state where your employer can fire you for any reason they wish, now that's freedom, do you smell it?

The gop bamboozles it's base election after election.

It would be a bad strategy. They can be offered immunity and compelled to talk and then be disbarred by the bar as they are not obligated to recognize immunity.

Just asking. That's almost all we saw from other "significant" witnesses recently. Generals, lawyers, associates, WH staff, etc. I realize that most of those were not in a court environment but still....

This means that Judge Howell ruled that Cipollone & Philbin (who claimed executive privilege) can NOT.

The table is now set for them both to be forced to say what Trump told them.
What it means is that the court doesn’t consider that they acted as Trump’s lawyers but we’re part of the illegal conspiracy. Thus, they have no privilege.

I don't think they will. I honestly think they want to testify but as lawyers needed to resist it for legal reasons. Now they have the cover they needed.
Cip isn't that type of lawyer

Another strange set of goings on. According to the GOP and MAGA team they are all completely innocent, relentlessly persecuted etc etc. BUT, give them the opportunity to prove that in court and they run interference for as long as they can to avoid giving testimony. THEN, force them to testify under oath and they suddenly need to plead the fifth, and their supporters seem to celebrate the fact that they are too 'implicated' to tell the truth under oath. What the hell is there to celebrate when your 'representative' is effectively admitting that they have been lying about their (or their associates) innocence? Is it really more important to frustrate half the population than for the whole population to know the truth?

TDS, we got him this time, for sure.

Orange man bad.

Does it ever get old to those who keep posting relentlessly?

MAGA...making attorneys get attorneys.

The day trump won, I said to those around me, maybe he'll be the final nail in the gop coffin?

Look at the people the gop has elected over the years, nixon, reagan, bush sr.,W and then trump. A succession of losers and crooks.

When will the base of the gop realize these people are not out for you mr and mrs working person, they are out for them. Why would you want a union representing you with better pay and benefits when you can work in a 'right to work' state where your employer can fire you for any reason they wish, now that's freedom, do you smell it?

The gop bamboozles it's base election after election.
The Tories in Britain are no different in that regard; 'jobs for the boys', tax breaks for the already wealthy, banks bailed out and rewarded for failing, and screw the rest of the working stiffs whose taxes pay their salaries.

What it means is that the court doesn’t consider that they acted as Trump’s lawyers but we’re part of the illegal conspiracy. Thus, they have no privilege.
Not necessarily. It could be that the court recognizes that a crime may have been ongoing by Trump and crew and the executive privilege goes out the window at that point. I believe it's the same crime fraud exception that applies to lawyer-client privilege.

And besides, they were not Trump's lawyers. They were the WH lawyers representing we the people's White House. Trump had his own band of shady lawyers.

Not necessarily. It could be that the court recognizes that a crime may have been ongoing by Trump and crew and the executive privilege goes out the window at that point. I believe it's the same crime fraud exception that applies to lawyer-client privilege.

And besides, they were not Trump's lawyers. They were the WH lawyers representing we the people's White House. Trump had his own band of shady lawyers.
The crime fraud exception refers to attorney/client privilege. Executive privilege isn’t applicable in this matter because advisors to a president normally have privilege when discussing matters of state with the president. Attempting to overthrow an election isn’t a matter of state.

Orange man bad.

What gets old is Trumphumpers bleating "TDS" in every thread as if they think it's a good point, while avoiding actual facts and reasoning like the plague. This is why you don't play chess with a chicken; it'll just knock over all the pieces, shit all over the board, and then strut around acting like it won.

Just asking. That's almost all we saw from other "significant" witnesses recently. Generals, lawyers, associates, WH staff, etc. I realize that most of those were not in a court environment but still....
It does make all the difference. Like they say in real estate, location, location, location.

Orange man bad.

Why, in your opinion, does Trump keep losing in court?

I don't think they will. I honestly think they want to testify but as lawyers needed to resist it for legal reasons. Now they have the cover they needed.

Cip isn't that type of lawyer
I don't quite understand your post. I think Cipollone is a fine lawyer and wanted to ensure that he was not perceived in any way as having acted inappropriately as it relates to privilege and his role as WH counsel. I think he wanted the issue of privileged resolved by the courts before answering questions that might violate that privilege. Hence my comment.

Planetary misalignment, deep state, everyone is out to get him, Hunter Biden, Hillary not locked up, Putin not doing enough, moon phases and all the best people have left him.

It's the damnedest thing. The cult leader in the cult, and even Kari and her lawyers yesterday or today, keep getting beat down in court. I'm not sure other people could do it that much if they were trying.

I wonder if they want to do that, or are they willing to talk so long as there is a clear legal path.
and, once their eyes have been opened during the J6 Committee probe, I believe that they are feeling a truer sense of loyalty to country.

I'll just say this...

Trump loyalist, including those within the GOP, f'd around and found out the hard way they can ignore a subpoena from a congressional committee but not one from a federal grand jury. Moreover, Trump, his entire Cabinet and their staff claimed executive privilege to avoid providing testimony to Congress, but they can't use it to avoid giving testimony in a criminal investigation or before a grand jury. They don't have a choice now but to show up and squeal like pigs before the slaughter and I'm here for it. :)

This means that Judge Howell ruled that Cipollone & Philbin (who claimed executive privilege) can NOT.

The table is now set for them both to be forced to say what Trump told them.
Nice. Remember their testimony in front of Congress would grind to a halt at certain points because of a variety of legal issues. In the grand jury, those issues will be moot, and the only way they won't be able to answer is to claim the 5th Amendment rights. They won't and their answers will be quite revealing.

Back
Top Bottom