• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fantasy fans: which releases first?

shrug...I don't expect either to be released in my lifetime and it doesn't matter. There's plenty of other stuff to read.

For example, after watching season one of "3 Body Problem", I've started reading the books. Those will keep me busy for the time being.

Ive heard rumors that GRRM is looking for co-writers to help finish GoT, because its clear he wrote himself into a hole: too many characters, and he cant figure out how to finish their various storylines in a satisfying way.

But then again, it may be in his best interests not to finish it, since his outline was shown on the GoT TV show and a lot of people hated it. He's probably thinking "oh crap," what do I do now?

Ive heard rumors that GRRM is looking for co-writers to help finish GoT, because its clear he wrote himself into a hole: too many characters, and he cant figure out how to finish their various storylines in a satisfying way.

But then again, it may be in his best interests not to finish it, since his outline was shown on the GoT TV show and a lot of people hated it. He's probably thinking "oh crap," what do I do now?
For 12 years he's thinking "oh, crap, what do I do now?"

LOL

Yup. Why do you think he hasnt finished it yet?

He got rich and lazy. He's flying to sci-fi/fantasy events all over the world giving speeches and basking in his glory. He's also writing lots of other crap he's been contracted to write. HBO and others are paying him a fortune to write new stuff. He's an ass.

I'm waiting on the ACOTAR Hulu series to come out (if it ever does).

He got rich and lazy. He's flying to sci-fi/fantasy events all over the world giving speeches and basking in his glory. He's also writing lots of other crap he's been contracted to write. HBO and others are paying him a fortune to write new stuff. He's an ass.
GRRM has been rich for decades well before HBO made his book into a series. Hes been a Hollywood showrunner for years.

GRRM has been rich for decades well before HBO made his book into a series. Hes been a Hollywood showrunner for years.
No, we're talking a whole new ballgame with GoT. He's written books before and written for the screen, but with nowhere near this kind of success. Nobody had ever heard of him before GoT except a few hardcore fantasy fans. Now he's famous worldwide.

No, we're talking a whole new ballgame with GoT. He's written books before and written for the screen, but with nowhere near this kind of success. Nobody had ever heard of him before GoT except a few hardcore fantasy fans. Now he's famous worldwide.
GoT was a bestseller before it became a show, thats the reason why they made it a show in the first place.

Not that I'm holding Wikipedia up as the last word in accuracy, but all I found there re: Martin's early HW credits was that he wrote for TWILIGHT ZONE and MAX HEADROOM, and then was a writer-producer on the Ron Perlman version of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. (If you have never been exposed to a later remake of the concept, count yourself lucky.) So I agree that he was a showrunner, though BATB was not a stellar success and endures mostly as a cult favorite -- which is a definite accomplishment.

It looks to me as though all of his later involvement as a head honcho on various shows stem from the bestseller status of THRONES, beginning in 1996. But the article I referenced could certainly be in error.

I said no one ever heard of him before GoT. Where did I lose you?
You lost me when you said he became rich and lazy. This happened well before the HBO series came out, and hes been doing a whole bunch of other stuff, so he hasnt been lazy.

Not that I'm holding Wikipedia up as the last word in accuracy, but all I found there re: Martin's early HW credits was that he wrote for TWILIGHT ZONE and MAX HEADROOM, and then was a writer-producer on the Ron Perlman version of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. (If you have never been exposed to a later remake of the concept, count yourself lucky.) So I agree that he was a showrunner, though BATB was not a stellar success and endures mostly as a cult favorite -- which is a definite accomplishment.

It looks to me as though all of his later involvement as a head honcho on various shows stem from the bestseller status of THRONES, beginning in 1996. But the article I referenced could certainly be in error.
A showrunner, even on minor TV shows is richer than 90% of the public, so he didnt stop writing GoT just because he got more dinero. GRRM lives pretty modestly too, hes not flying around in private jets or has a yacht.

Exactly. The books hit huge. Then the HBO series was a spectacular success. He got all full of himself and started basking in the adulation. He gave up on GoT, and started writing crappy Hedge Knight/A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms junk and the precursor series to GoT, House of the Dragon, which is okay at best.

What he's done is screw over all the people who bought A Song of Ice and Fire books that made him famous in the first place: But they're hard to write. Tons of characters, plots, subplots, counterplots, very hard to write. So he got lazy and is taking the easy money.

Robert Jordan knew there was a chance he wouldn't live to finish the Wheel of Time series. So he made voluminous notes on how the series should progress. After he died his wife picked Brandon Sanderson to finish the series. With Jordan's notes and the help of Jordan's wife, Sanderson did a very good job wrapping up Wheel of Time.

I can think of no author who started a hugely popular series of books and just quit on it. I don't understand why people defend George R.R. Martin. More than 90 million copies of A Song of Ice and Fire have sold in 47 languages. The fifth book left nothing settled, everything is up in the air, and Martin sits there with his thumb up his butt basking in his glory. Screw him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom