• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Family health care coverage at work tops $22,000 a year

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Numbers listed below are facts and figures that I've grappled with for years. In fact, a good plan costs even more. Our plan runs about $30K right now, and that is with $1000 deductible per head and an out of pocket max approaching $7K.

Employers have been complaining about the cost of plans since the inception of the ACA...because costs went up.

Employers have been complaining about the cost of plans since the inception of the ACA...because costs went up.
So have survival rates. Would you rather people die?

Everyone should prepare for health insurance costs to go way up in 2021. Covid has cost insurers a bundle! Would not be surprised to see insurers increase premiums on the unvaccinated!

So have survival rates. Would you rather people die?
The employee is paying about $6K annually of the cost of the premium, not $22K, FYI. The employer is covering the rest.

I was simply stating that it is getting incredibly expensive for employers.

Everyone should prepare for health insurance costs to go way up in 2021. Covid has cost insurers a bundle! Would not be surprised to see insurers increase premiums on the unvaccinated!

Hmm....now wouldn't that be interesting.

Seeing as they can't change the price of the premiums for "pre-existing conditions" under the ACA. Or are we scrapping that provision now in order to charge higher premiums for unvaccinated?

Employers have always complained about costs. Take these benefit programs away from employers, let the government run them.

Seeing as they can't change the price of the premiums for "pre-existing conditions" under the ACA. Or are we scrapping that provision now in order to charge higher premiums for unvaccinated?
What the heck does charging more for being unvaccinated have to do with a pre-existing condition? Unless of course, that pre-existing condition is stupidity!

Many companies already charge more for smokers.

Growth in employer-sponsored health insurance costs, 2000-2009 (pre-ACA): 72.6% (average annual increase: 7.3%).

Growth in employer-sponsored health insurance costs, 2010-2019 (post-ACA): 34.9% (average annual increase: 3.5%).

What the heck does charging more for being unvaccinated have to do with a pre-existing condition? Unless of course, that pre-existing condition is stupidity!

Many companies already charge more for smokers.
Higher rates for smokers is part of the existing law…and then several states have ruled that insurers in their state cannot charge higher rates to smokers.

Currently, zero questions can be asked other than age, smoking status, where you live…and about members of a household/dependents.

Any democrat advocates for touching the ACA to change it for vaccination status risks having the ACA completely fall apart…and leaving countless Americans without health insurance.

The ACA has been under attack endlessly since it’s inception.

Just completed the renewal of our companies health care plan for 2022 and I thought the prices would soar due to covid.
They didn't.
Mine with health, dental, vision, and a supplemental life plan increased $4 a pay check.

Any democrat advocates for touching the ACA to change it for vaccination status risks having the ACA completely fall apart…and leaving countless Americans without health insurance.
You are seriously mistaken if you believe this would have anything to do with the ACA and pre-existing conditions. Several companies including one of the major airlines are charging employees more for their contribution portion if they are not vaccinated.

Higher rates for smokers is part of the existing law…and then several states have ruled that insurers in their state cannot charge higher rates to smokers.

Currently, zero questions can be asked other than age, smoking status, where you live…and about members of a household/dependents.

The ACA has been under attack endlessly since it’s inception.
Per the survey referenced in the OP, almost two-thirds of employees with employer-sponsored coverage are in self-funded plans, which aren't subject to the ACA's community rating rules for fully insured plans. Which opens the door for such employers to actions like those taken by Delta.

You are seriously mistaken if you believe this would have anything to do with the ACA and pre-existing conditions. Several companies including one of the major airlines are charging employees more for their contribution portion if they are not vaccinated.
Link please?

Per the survey referenced in the OP, almost two-thirds of employees with employer-sponsored coverage are in self-funded plans, which aren't subject to the ACA's community rating rules for fully insured plans. Which opens the door for such employers to actions like those taken by Delta.

Self-funded.

So the employers that are already circumventing the ACA.

Makes sense

Self-funded.

So the employers that are already circumventing the ACA.

Makes sense
Correct, the ACA largely regulates health insurers. Not employers who put cash aside to directly pay for their employees' health expenses.

It will be interesting to see if Delta’s premium differential for unvaccinated individuals is challenged in court (I expect it likely will be) and then how that turns out.

All these things are pretty complex legal issues…it’s interesting to read the details.

Time for single payer
Part of me would fully support that…part of my absolutely cringes at the thought because my father in law gets medical care through the VA and my Mom had Medicare before she passed…and both those systems are pretty bad.

Part of me would fully support that…part of my absolutely cringes at the thought because my father in law gets medical care through the VA and my Mom had Medicare before she passed…and both those systems are pretty bad.
In some cities the VA is the best hospital in that city

Medicare is a massive success

Numbers listed below are facts and figures that I've grappled with for years. In fact, a good plan costs even more. Our plan runs about $30K right now, and that is with $1000 deductible per head and an out of pocket max approaching $7K.

A perennial question is what, if anything, people would be willing to give up for a cheaper plan. Would they be willing to cut out the highest priced hospitals and physician groups in exchange for lower premiums? The nice thing about the marketplaces is that they offer an actual chance to ask people that question and allow them to answer it. Rather than having an employer try to guess and/or take on responsibility for that decision.

Correct, the ACA largely regulates health insurers. Not employers who put cash aside to directly pay for their employees' health expenses.
Yeah, that's not the DELTA situation though. I thought maybe DELTA was fully funding some sort of "medical coop" or something like that but that's not the case.

Back
Top Bottom