• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Electoral College

What do you think about the electoral college?

• Keep it as it is.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Scrap it and determine winners through popular vote.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Keep it but reform it somehow. (explain your thoughts)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
(If at any point I'm wrong pls correct me)

I have no problem with people saying that states with smaller populations wouldnt be as important if we didnt have the EC but I have a question :

Is it fair to give small pockets of our population so much power when it comes to chosing our president?

I cite Montana as an example. With less then a million people it has 11 electoral votes. Meanwhile Illinois with 11 Million has only 21 electoral votes.

At the same time Rhode island with 1 million people has 4 electoral votes while at the same time Gerogia with close to 10 million people has about 15 electoral votes.

I understand that it's not fair to the states with smaller populations if their voices arent heard but it's not really fair to the sates with bigger populations either now is it?

I belive logical way is reform.

I say we scrap it. The 2000 election is a perfect example. Gore wins the popular vote and Bush wins the electoral college vote. .
No one would care about the electoral college had the 2000 election not gone the way it did, and the only people that care now are those that voted for Gore.

When you guy loses, blame the system :roll:

I think it should be based upon who received the most votes
In 2004, had 50,000 people in Ohio changed their minds and voted for Kerry, would you think the same thing?

And in addition, it makes sense. After all, I wouldn't like to be living in one of the lower-population states where my voice would have little effect in a popular vote.

Which is preciesly why a constitutional amendment to change it to a national election and popular vote will never pass.

Still, it seems some peoples idea of some changes being needed has merit. I would wish for changes in all the states that assigned each electoral vote a certain precentage of the population of that state.

Each state is free to do so if that's what they want to do.

It shouldn't be winner takes all.The electoral votes should be praportionate with the vote in the state.

If that is what you want YOUR state to do then lobby YOUR state legislature. They are free to do as they please.

I voted for the popular vote, not because of "sour grapes from 2000" as party hacks such as Navy Pride contend, but because of the nature of politics today. In this modern day, will we ever again see a Democrat try to contend for votes in Texas, or a Republican in New York?

All they have to do is run on issues and take positions those voters favor? Many Southern states still have majority Democrat state governments.

With the abolishment of the electoral college, we won't see candidates fighting for battleground states - they'll be going for independent voters.

They'll be going after the areas with the most concentrated votes.

The bottom line is this would be a very fundimental shift in our federal government and required a constitutional amendment to change. It ain't gonna happen.

Back
Top Bottom