• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elections supervisor suspended following recount problems

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — An embattled county elections official at the center of Florida’s recall has been suspended.

Gov. Rick Scott issued an executive order Friday immediately suspending Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes from office for misfeasance, incompetence and neglect of duty.

Snipes has been the top elections official in the south Florida county since 2003 when then-Gov. Jeb Bush appointed her. She came under withering criticism for her handling of this year’s elections, as well as its legally required recount in close races for governor and U.S. Senate.

Snipes previously indicated she planned to step down in January. Scott said in a statement that taxpayers shouldn’t have to pay an official who has already announced her resignation.

COMMENT:-

In case you didn't catch it, "misfeasance, incompetence and neglect of duty" means "She didn't bother to do her job, but that is on top of the fact that she didn't know what her job was or how to do it, and that is on top of she misused the powers entrusted to her for improper reasons".

It will be interesting to see if someone challenges the entire Broward County vote based on the fact that the person who was entrusted with the task of ensuring that the election was run in a free, fair, open, and honest manner was fired for not doing so.

It will be even more interesting to see how the winners of the vote in Broward County advance the line "It doesn't matter that the election was distorted by someone who didn't know what they were supposed to be doing and wasn't even attempting to run a free, fair, open, and honest election - THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN and the election results (regardless of all improprieties) MUST be allowed to stand in order to protect free, fair, open, and honest elections."

I thought she resigned...what difference does it make at this point unless they plan a do over, like the hearings may end up doing in that North Carolina district?

This action seems to be fully justified, given this history of election irregularities that regularly come from that county, that department, and in particular, that individual.

From the Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — An embattled county elections official at the center of Florida’s recall has been suspended.

Gov. Rick Scott issued an executive order Friday immediately suspending Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes from office for misfeasance, incompetence and neglect of duty.

Snipes has been the top elections official in the south Florida county since 2003 when then-Gov. Jeb Bush appointed her. She came under withering criticism for her handling of this year’s elections, as well as its legally required recount in close races for governor and U.S. Senate.

Snipes previously indicated she planned to step down in January. Scott said in a statement that taxpayers shouldn’t have to pay an official who has already announced her resignation.

COMMENT:-

In case you didn't catch it, "misfeasance, incompetence and neglect of duty" means "She didn't bother to do her job, but that is on top of the fact that she didn't know what her job was or how to do it, and that is on top of she misused the powers entrusted to her for improper reasons".

It will be interesting to see if someone challenges the entire Broward County vote based on the fact that the person who was entrusted with the task of ensuring that the election was run in a free, fair, open, and honest manner was fired for not doing so.

It will be even more interesting to see how the winners of the vote in Broward County advance the line "It doesn't matter that the election was distorted by someone who didn't know what they were supposed to be doing and wasn't even attempting to run a free, fair, open, and honest election - THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN and the election results (regardless of all improprieties) MUST be allowed to stand in order to protect free, fair, open, and honest elections."

The woman had been in that job 15 years. It's hard to think she didn't know exactly what she was doing. But who knows for sure? I guess we have all probably worked with one or two totally incompetent or clueless people who kept skating by or even got promoted.

Well, since Rick Scott is a Republican, he probably just did it for racist reasons. No one is going to buy the whole she sucked at her job BS.

I think she might challenge this if it turns out she loses her almost $71,000/year pension as election supervisor.

Almost $11,000 a month. That’s what Brenda Snipes will be receiving in pension benefits when she resigns in January as the Broward County Supervisor of Elections.

The state pensions include $58,560 a year she’s already receiving from her earlier career as an educator, and she’ll be adding almost $71,000 a year for her time in elected office.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...sor-brenda-snipes-pension-20181126-story.html

I thought she resigned...what difference does it make at this point unless they plan a do over, like the hearings may end up doing in that North Carolina district?

The lady has "unresigned".

Now I'm probably being overly skeptical here, but something hints to me that there is some sort of a pension entitlement involved that requires the lady to remain in office until she said she was going to resign in order to collect benefits.

After all, it's not as if an "Election Supervisor" has incredibly onerous duties to perform once the votes have been counted if the next election is two years down the road.

I think she might challenge this if it turns out she loses her almost $71,000/year pension as election supervisor.

Thank you for that link. I sort of wondered about that. $5,916.66 a month (gross) isn't something to be sneezed at and that's what she loses if she gets fired rather than resigns.

$11k / Month retirement? Seems excessive. Most in the private sector don't have pension benefits that exorbitant.
This benefit what the tax payers are on the hook for?

$11k / Month retirement? Seems excessive. Most in the private sector don't have pension benefits that exorbitant.
This benefit what the tax payers are on the hook for?

Well, she does have two pensions.

Well, she does have two pensions.
Cool. How do I collect that?
Oh. Forgot.
Only public sector union members eligible.
Tax payers screwed over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom