• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Drug Trade America vs Europe

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
People talk about crime rates, and of course most people know the drug trade fuels American crime and murder rates. So I was wondering a few things and maybe y'all can point me to places and sources (my google searches are sporadic...I don't know much about the drug trade or where to google).

1) What is the average price of drugs (pot, coke, ex, etc) in one nation vs the other?

2) Is it safe to assume the US has more drugs at a cheaper price than European nations?

Marijuana Prices – Havocscope Black Market

That is really the only place I saw.

3) Is the drug trade more lucrative in America?

4) Are there more users in the United States?

5) Where do most European drugs come from?

The reason I ask is because I am curious if the reason we have such a lucrative trade is based on price or number of users? It seems this is an important question to ask.

The reason I asked where is because it seems part of the reason the United States has a lot of drugs flowing...easily/cheaply is because it is easy to grow south of us. But I am not sure. I am more looking for sources and answers. I am simply curious.

Most drugs in the EU come from outside the EU.
Main offenders are north africa and west africa. These are huge growers and exporters if you can call it that, of all manner of drugs into europe.

Closer to home you have countries like albania where, because of instability, there are druglords who basically own parts of the country and they grow pot there.
Same can be said for macedonia though on a lesser scale.

I am not counting the netherlands where it's legal to smoke pot but you can't see pot outside of the netherlands.

Main offenders are north africa and west africa. These are huge growers and exporters if you can call it that, of all manner of drugs into europe.

Closer to home you have countries like albania where, because of instability, there are druglords who basically own parts of the country and they grow pot there.

I am not counting the netherlands where it's legal to smoke pot but you can't see pot outside of the netherlands.

So question. Would you say America has an easier access to the growers then? I mean geographically speaking?

So question. Would you say America has an easier access to the growers then? I mean geographically speaking?

Ah, I don't know.
I'd say no, because... welll... albania and macedonia are right at our borders... and it's quite easy to carry by boat drugs from west and north africa into europe.

But then again, I could just as well say yes since the US has a large border with mexico that has a lot of drug cartels that are quite well organized... but then again, you legalized/decriminalized it in what? 15 states? Soo... yeah.

But in terms of other drugs, so not marijuana, like opium, cocaine... hash... and others... I'd guess europe is more at risk simply because we have more entry points where as the US, has just 1, the south.

We're a large market because of the money & amount of active users we have so being closer, to say Colombia, has an impact on the amount of cocaine being imported because of shorter travel times compared to other large markets like Britain, France, Germany, South Africa, Nigeria, Russia, etc who mind you, get Colombian cocaine, but just not as much or often as what's hitting U.S. streets. Marijuana typically comes in from Mexico or Canada. We get heroin from Afghanistan, as does Iran, Russia & Europe and China has a legendary appetite for Afghanistan's opium. Vietnam's opium came stateside as heroin in soldier's coffins during the Vietnam War. Americans like drugs and spend lots of money on them.

So our high number of users is a big issue?

So if we treat users it would help our drug problem? I mean that is logical. But are drugs cheaper for users here?

So our high number of users is a big issue?

So if we treat users it would help our drug problem? I mean that is logical. But are drugs cheaper for users here?

Our "drug problem" is very much like our "terrorist problem"--an imaginary boogie man created by government clowns looking to bolster their budgets and scare the populace in the process.

Our "drug problem" is very much like our "terrorist problem"--an imaginary boogie man created by government clowns looking to bolster their budgets and scare the populace in the process.

Yea. Because I "don't" see crack heads any time I turn into the wrong neighborhood. I "don't" know several addicts who would rather use and steal from relatives, than to keep and raise their own children. Yes, it is all the government lies and we don't have a scourge of drug abusers in the inner city.

Sell that somewhere else. I've seen way too many addicts in my time.

Yea. Because I "don't" see crack heads any time I turn into the wrong neighborhood. I "don't" know several addicts who would rather use and steal from relatives, than to keep and raise their own children. Yes, it is all the government lies and we don't have a scourge of drug abusers in the inner city.

How many of these reckless people were only using marijuana?

You realize there are OTHER drugs other than marijuana right?

But hey. You want to talk about reckless users:

Is Driving While High Dangerous? Fatal Car Accidents Involving Marijuana Triple Over 10 Years

We have problems with narcotics in America. It isn't s government conspiracy.

I never claimed there weren't other drugs in America. I personally don't use any of these other drugs so you can understand that I make a clear distinction between marijuana and most other drugs.

I never claimed there weren't other drugs in America. I personally don't use any of these other drugs so you can understand that I make a clear distinction between marijuana and most other drugs.

Make as many distinctions as you want. The ones selling it are a problem.

Make as many distinctions as you want. The ones selling it are a problem.

Personally, I think it would depend mainly on who they were selling it to.

Personally, I think it would depend mainly on who they were selling it to.

Why does that matter? Who gives a crap? The guys selling it are the real scumbags.

Why does that matter? Who gives a crap? The guys selling it are the real scumbags.

Why? If an adult wants to do something in the privacy of their own home and it doesn't hurt anyone, why do you care?

You don't know the difference between drug addiction and crime.

That is understandable, considering the incessant spin on the drug issue, for decades.

They are really not the same.

Why? If an adult wants to do something in the privacy of their own home and it doesn't hurt anyone, why do you care?

Gee. Why do i have a problem with an unregulated and untaxed trade that people literally KILL over?

I don't know? Try looking above.

You don't know the difference between drug addiction and crime.

That is understandable, considering the incessant spin on the drug issue, for decades.

They are really not the same.

Well drug use is a crime...but...

My main point is that with hardcore addictive narcotics (aka crack, meth, etc.) is associated with MORE than crime. You can't exactly be an award winning parent with a meth pipe. That three legged race at the father son picnic isn't going to be great for a child after daddy just sniffed his booger sugar.

Why is this hard to understand? Drugs are bad, mmkay.

Not in a sweet innocent "dare" naive kid way. I mean just take a look at what happens to people who use. It is a sickness. It is a disease. A cancer. And more than the "adults" using it are victimized. Kids are. I know kids right now, 3 innocent and wonderful girls, in the middle of a custody battle because momma's drug habit her prison time and daddy's habit has made him a lovely petty criminal supporting his meth or whatever.

I believe in treatment of addicts. I do. That is part of the reason I ask questions. But it seems that every time I ask I get, no pub intended, stonewalled, and accused of being a partisan hack when I dare to question the narrative that drugs are "okay for a consenting adult" to use.

Maybe we ought to get our society clean? Seems like an evil thought right?

Ps

Sorry for late response.

Well drug use is a crime...but...

My main point is that with hardcore addictive narcotics (aka crack, meth, etc.) is associated with MORE than crime. You can't exactly be an award winning parent with a meth pipe. That three legged race at the father son picnic isn't going to be great for a child after daddy just sniffed his booger sugar.

Why is this hard to understand? Drugs are bad, mmkay.

Not in a sweet innocent "dare" naive kid way. I mean just take a look at what happens to people who use. It is a sickness. It is a disease. A cancer. And more than the "adults" using it are victimized. Kids are. I know kids right now, 3 innocent and wonderful girls, in the middle of a custody battle because momma's drug habit her prison time and daddy's habit has made him a lovely petty criminal supporting his meth or whatever.

I believe in treatment of addicts. I do. That is part of the reason I ask questions. But it seems that every time I ask I get, no pub intended, stonewalled, and accused of being a partisan hack when I dare to question the narrative that drugs are "okay for a consenting adult" to use.

Maybe we ought to get our society clean? Seems like an evil thought right?

Ps

Sorry for late response.

Better late than never. :)

CERTAIN drug use is a crime, would be the accurate statement.

Just a handful of drugs, out of many hundreds. For the most part, the legal drug alcohol causes more problems than any of the illegal drugs, separating the legal status from the effects of the drugs themselves.

"Drug use" became illegal just a century ago, and the social pathologies caused by that sorry set of laws have been increasing steadily ever since, to the point that children are selling them on street corners and trading them in schools. "Illegal" drugs are traded and used behind prison walls.

Let's be rational. :peace

Better late than never. :)

CERTAIN drug use is a crime, would be the accurate statement.

Well of course. But the legal drugs are regulated. Wouldn't you say that is a good idea? Many you have to get a prescription for. Also not a bad thing. But of course alcohol has to be discussed (which you do later so I will save my points for that reply).

Just a handful of drugs, out of many hundreds. For the most part, the legal drug alcohol causes more problems than any of the illegal drugs, separating the legal status from the effects of the drugs themselves.

Thus my reasoning that we need to treat addiction. Not the drug. Addiction must be treated as it is: bad. It costs lives and more. I'm not talking about addicted like "oh I'm addicted to John Woo movies." I'm talking dependent on the substance. That isn't a good way for people to be.

So being real here...I disagree with addiction. I also despise those involved in the current drug trade. They are blood thirsty (well greedy) savages. And they should be treated as such. But I am separating out addicts. Even though personal responsibility is a factor, I feel people get sucked in because of genetics and environment and blah blah blah.

Drug use" became illegal just a century ago, and the social pathologies caused by that sorry set of laws have been increasing steadily ever since, to the point that children are selling them on street corners and trading them in schools. "Illegal" drugs are traded and used behind prison walls.

Let's be rational. :peace

Sure. But drugs have always been an issue. Opium wars? Alcohol? People have been substance abusers for a long time. It just didn't look the same as it does now.

Well of course. But the legal drugs are regulated. Wouldn't you say that is a good idea? Many you have to get a prescription for. Also not a bad thing. But of course alcohol has to be discussed (which you do later so I will save my points for that reply).

Thus my reasoning that we need to treat addiction. Not the drug. Addiction must be treated as it is: bad. It costs lives and more. I'm not talking about addicted like "oh I'm addicted to John Woo movies." I'm talking dependent on the substance. That isn't a good way for people to be.

So being real here...I disagree with addiction. I also despise those involved in the current drug trade. They are blood thirsty (well greedy) savages. And they should be treated as such. But I am separating out addicts. Even though personal responsibility is a factor, I feel people get sucked in because of genetics and environment and blah blah blah.

Sure. But drugs have always been an issue. Opium wars? Alcohol? People have been substance abusers for a long time. It just didn't look the same as it does now.

WE need to treat addiction? YOU might need to addiction, but I don't. Addiction is a personal problem, and the reality is that society deals with many forms of addiction quite easily. Coffee addiction is customary and widespread. Coffee addicts are accepted into society with no problems, as are nicotine addicts and sugar addicts. Their addictions enable profits and income for many companies.
I think the way sugar addiction (and caffeine) is encouraged in young people is wrong and very short-sighted for health purposes.

Yes, tobacco addicts must use their drug outside, and I just hope that they pick up the damn cigarette butts. :lol:

Addiction in and of itself is not bad. A vice, to be sure, but we humans are not perfect.

Yes, I'm all for regulated drugs, by all means. I'm for regulation of the purity and strength of drugs, proper labeling, proper dosage in packaging, and regulated sales.

Trouble is we cannot do that as long as an irrational policy of prohibition drives public policy.

Pot is not legal in the Netherlands, that is a common misconception. If you are caught with a large quantity you will be charged. Dutch Drug Policy - Holland.com

I don't know about other drugs in the EU but all the weed is grown in Europe nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom