• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Downloading Firefox on Microsoft Edge Windows 11 Desktop

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Years ago I put Firefox on my laptop, because even back then I disliked Edge. I want to download it again on my latest computer. I don't know much about computers, so I want to avoid any issues and keep things as simple as possible.

I have an old Firefox password written down. I'm thinking I'll have to have a log in for this new download.

If I'm prompted, should I use the old password again, or will that cause any problems? Would it be less confusing to keep both computers separate as far as passwords? I don't want to sync them, but likely would just want to import the bookmarks from the laptop .

Thanks for any advice.

I use a desktop since it's m y home office. I use FF as a main browser - just download it. no password needed
If you mean to unlock (administrator) i doubt it matters

I use a desktop since it's m y home office. I use FF as a main browser - just download it. no password needed
If you mean to unlock (administrator) i doubt it matters
Thanks. I just wondered why I had that old password written down. I don't mind keeping the Edge as the default browser, but will mainly use the Firefox on an everyday basis.

Years ago I put Firefox on my laptop, because even back then I disliked Edge. I want to download it again on my latest computer. I don't know much about computers, so I want to avoid any issues and keep things as simple as possible.

I have an old Firefox password written down. I'm thinking I'll have to have a log in for this new download.

If I'm prompted, should I use the old password again, or will that cause any problems? Would it be less confusing to keep both computers separate as far as passwords? I don't want to sync them, but likely would just want to import the bookmarks from the laptop .

Thanks for any advice.
1. You don't need a password to download any browser that I've seen.

2. I have a total of 8 different browser installed on my desktop. None of them need a password to install.

3. Most of my browsers offer added benefits if I do create an account with them, such as being able to migrate bookmarks and such to the same browser on other devices, including phones. I don't do that...just my choice.

4. Windows...and the various browsers...wants me to set up a particular browser as my default. Windows wants me to choose Edge, of course. I have Opera set as my default.

1. You don't need a password to download any browser that I've seen.

2. I have a total of 8 different browser installed on my desktop. None of them need a password to install.

3. Most of my browsers offer added benefits if I do create an account with them, such as being able to migrate bookmarks and such to the same browser on other devices, including phones. I don't do that...just my choice.

4. Windows...and the various browsers...wants me to set up a particular browser as my default. Windows wants me to choose Edge, of course. I have Opera set as my default.
Thanks for your input.

The password is likely your old FF account. It's free and you can store bookmarks and other things to it and use it to synchronize between phones, laptops, decktops, tablets.
I have use FF exclusively nearly for about 10 years. I love the extensions that are available and if you do FaceBook it runs it in a containerized tab so it can sneak peeks at other tabs.

PM me if you want any details on extensions I run.

Thanks for any advice.
As far as I know, you don't need a password to download and install Firefox, unless there's a premium version I don't know about.
You should be able to export bookmarks to a file and transfer them that way, or alternatively dig into the profile folder and transfer the file that holds the bookmarks.
I have to restore my bookmarks regularly at work when they update the firefox version on the jumpbox server.

Thanks for any advice.
Stay away from Firefox. Upload Google Chrome. Use them as your browser and search engine. They are much safer. (y)

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions, much appreciated.

Thanks. I just wondered why I had that old password written down. I don't mind keeping the Edge as the default browser, but will mainly use the Firefox on an everyday basis.
Password is most likely for a Firefox account where your bookmarks and passwords are saved in the cloud.

I used FF at one time, but it seemed to be a resource hog with a large footprint.

Maybe it's more svelte these days.

I used FF at one time, but it seemed to be a resource hog with a large footprint.

Maybe it's more svelte these days.

Yep, that's been in discussion recently on a number of tech sites, to include at Mozilla. I used to be a member of some fancy Mozilla team I don't even remember the name of anymore, but a bit ago Mozilla seemed to do some big changes and I think I remember getting some notice about that team was no more. Point is that it is starting to get a bit harder to get answers from the Mozilla folks. It has been a very slow process of some sort of Mozilla going toward a possible profit making operation (maybe [very maybe]) and things are getting a bit like some other browser management teams. I tend to use SeaMonkey a fair bit, as I don't install extensions and get rid of all the frills I can with any browser I use. SeaMonkey can be run pretty slim.

But I did do about a five-day study earlier this year, or late last year, recording everything possible about how much Mozilla was using on a Windows 7 unit, and I think I also did that same study on a Windows 10 unit. An absolutely huge amount of data in that folder, because I tend to use screenshots a lot. But even some other data was time consuming to properly file. I was planning to compare that data with the same thing I did on another unit some 5 or 6 years ago, but the darn cancer moving stuff cut my plans right out of that ToDo list. I'm fortunate that I have about five units in two steady locations and one emergency location, so all those different units are great for collecting data to study, when one has the time. I know that use of "about" is strange, but I really have lost track of just how many units I have. Plus my family got me an Android thing for my last long hospital stay, but I only have accessed this site once with that unit. I don't much care for that unit.

By the way, has anyone had any experience with CentBrowser? Any thoughts about that browser?

Stay away from Firefox. Upload Google Chrome. Use them as your browser and search engine. They are much safer. (y)
Chrome is a data collection tool saving everything you do with it to your data profile. Nothing safe about it if you value your privacy.

There are 5 apps that steal data, I have no special google aps, and I haven't synced to MS. My online profile is pretty boring. I've had google chrome as my browser for many years and have never had a security breach or any issues related to accounts or anything. Not saying you are wrong, maybe I'm just lucky. Or just on-line boring.

I think some malware work quietly in the background.

There are 5 apps that steal data, I have no special google aps, and I haven't synced to MS. My online profile is pretty boring. I've had google chrome as my browser for many years and have never had a security breach or any issues related to accounts or anything. Not saying you are wrong, maybe I'm just lucky. Or just on-line boring.
I'm so boring that even Tor refused me their download.

The FSB tore their hair out for a while until they finally stopped hacking me altogether.

I think some malware work quietly in the background.
You may be right, got that covered too. If there is any, they're lame as hell, cause they aren't causing any issues so far!:sneaky:

Chrome is a data collection tool saving everything you do with it to your data profile. Nothing safe about it if you value your privacy.
I'm LMAO! How in the hell did FSB find you? I've got super tight security on my computer, I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stuff, but I have no external crap to slow me down, no you tube, no twitter, no other social media but DP, and that's the way I like it! AND NO TIC TOC!

I'm LMAO! How in the hell did FSB find you? ..............~
I tried to sign up with them for some trolling kopecks

So they screened me and decided I was not stupid enough to meet their standards.

I tried to sign up with them for some trolling kopecks

So they screened me and decided I was not stupid enough to meet their standards.
BE GLAD. BE VERRRRY GLAD! When you get in bed with flea ridden animals, you get fleas!

You may be right, got that covered too. If there is any, they're lame as hell, cause they aren't causing any issues so far!:sneaky:

They might work undetected, collecting data, and the user thinks that there's nothing wrong with the system.

Back
Top Bottom