• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does Romney support more gun control or not? (1 Viewer)

The only part of the 2nd that Romney understands is the second part. he has no clue as to what the whole thing represents.

I think both of theme failed to get it right.

Again: I don't care what Obama's going to do on guns. I'm not voting for the man.

Romney's trying to appeal to me, as a pro-gun rights voter. So I want to know if he backs a ban, like he said tonight, or if he opposes one, like he said tonight.

I’m really not all that concerned about Romney’s stand on assault weapons, because he will have far more pressing things to take charge of and with the Republican control of the house no such bill will see the light of day. His stand on gun control can’t be any more radical then Obama’s.

I understand where pro-gun people are coming from, the anti gun crowds ultimate goal is to take all guns away from citizens, and before anyone goes on a rant saying that could never happen, you better look around, because it has happened in other “democratic” governments. If you ask any pro gun people if they want to keep guns out of the wrong hands (criminals and nutcases and such) they will answer with a resounding yes.

However it really has more to do with the anti gun crowd and their goal of removing all guns that has more to do with preventing any reasonable and sensible passage of gun laws. Pro gun people know you can’t remove our guns in one step, so you resort to chipping away at our right to own guns, and we know this as well, so we fight tooth and nail against any new laws. The divide has been created by the anti gun people not the pro gun people. We as a whole would stop at nearly nothing to get the guns out of the hands of criminals. But our hands are tied, we know if we give that inch, the anti gun crowd is going to go after the mile.

obunny lost this exchange. Obunny has tried very hard to hide and run away from his anti gun record before he became president.

romney definitely has an anti-gun record. He supported every gun ban he was against.

romney definitely has an anti-gun record. He supported every gun ban he was against.

Biden is the most anti gun politician of the four. almost forty years of supporting every restriction that has come before him. Obama was very anti gun before joining the WH. Ryan is a solid NRA A rated politician. Romney is a C level politician on gun rights.

Lets see An A + C vs and F- and a D, no contest

I have no idea. It certainly sounded like it, but Romney's so bad at clarifying his ideas that I couldn't tell you either way. But the impression I had, and the libertarians I was watching the debate with had, is that Romney endorsed a nationwide Assault Weapons Ban.

I reject compromise on this issue.

Well we know that Sotomayor is an anti gun vote on the USSC

now his next pick has yet to vote on Guns but Jewish Lesbians who were employed by Harvard don't have a real good track record, as a group, when it comes to gun rights

Apparently Romney doesn't grasp the concept of the Second Amendment..

Not going to change my vote, but I thought his position and understanding on the issue was absurd. If I was in his shoes I would have attempted to briefly explain the Second Amendment.

For the record, Romney did sign anti-gun legislation into law when he was governer.

Neither Obama nor Romney will sign anti-gun legislation into law the next 2 years. It is almost a certainty that Republicans will retain control of the House of Representatives in the upcoming election. If that's the case, the House will not pass anti-gun legislation.

Should Obama win reelection, the House will remain in GOP control for at least the next 4 years. If that happens, they will not pass anti-gun legislation during those 4 years.

If Romney wins, the Democrats will probably win back the House of Representatives in the mid-term elections. Under that scenario, it is remotely possible that Romney could sign anti-gun legislation into law.

He said that he "didn't support new legislation", but then said that the Massachusetts AWB was "legislation we need".

Oh don't buy it for a minute, that waffling mother****er has no loyalty towards the 2nd amendment

I hope Gary Johnson nails him on this.

I wish they'd let him into the debate. He'd mop the floor with those two Bush clones. Heaven forbid we have an actual choice in an election.

It seems to me that Romney's position on gun control, assault weapon bans and existing law is rational. I don't think this should be a make or break issue for anyone considering voting for Romney. There are much more important issues to deal with, especially the economy.

From the Washington Post:

"Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney has actually been more active than Obama on gun control — albeit during his time in Massachusetts. Since leaving office, he has moved away from those positions.

While running for Senate in Massachusetts in 1994, Romney supported background checks and a ban on some assault weapons. “That’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA,” he said. Running for governor in 2002, he said, “We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts — I support them. I won’t chip away at them. I believe they help protect us, and provide for our safety.”

As governor, in 2004, signed an assault-weapons ban in the state. However, that law won support from some gun-rights advocates by making it easier to get and renew a firearms license. Romney also raised the state’s gun-registration fee from $25 to $75.

Romney joined the National Rifle Association in 2006, a few months before launching his first presidential bid. “I’m a member of the NRA and believe firmly in the right to bear arms,” he said in 2007.

Pressed by NBC’s Tim Russert on the issue that year, he said, “I support Second Amendment rights, but I don’t line up 100 percent with the NRA. They take some positions that are different than mine.” He continued to support the assault-weapons ban, reaffirming that position in a 2008 debate.

However, in a subsequent interview with conservative bloggers, Romney said, “I don’t support any gun control legislation, the effort for a new assault weapons ban, with a ban on semi-automatic weapons, is something I would oppose. There’s no new legislation that I’m aware of or have heard of that I would support.”

Romney’s position has not changed notably since. In a recent speech to the NRA, he said, “We need a president who will enforce current laws, not create new ones that only serve to burden lawful gun owners.” He suggested that in a second term, Obama would do more to restrict gun rights.

But neither candidate seems poised to change current gun policy. Just as public opinion on gun control does not shift in the wake of such tragedies, both Romney and Obama are likely to play it safe."

It really does not matter what Romney supports. The right wing will vote for him in droves simply because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin in their extremist eyes.

It really does not matter what Romney supports. The right wing will vote for him in droves simply because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin in their extremist eyes.

wrong again. Obama has in the past

1) supported a complete ban on handguns

2) voted against a law that prevents anti gun mayors from suing gun makers for "crime"

3) supported the clinton "assault weapon ban"

4) appointed a woman who was well established as a hard core gun rights hater to the USSC

5) appointed another woman whose background is almost guaranteed to lead her to anti gun decisions.

6) supported "fast and furious" , a scheme designed to manufacture evidence to be used against American gun rights.

many of his inner circle are hard core gun haters such as former consigliere Rahm Emanuel

The right wing will vote for him in droves simply because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin in their extremist eyes.
And you have evidence of who exactly saying this?

Most of the pro gun hatred for Obama is a product of Biden being the most anti gun politician to ever be on a successful presidential ticket

Its all over this site. Look at your friend Turtle - he would not vote for anybody but Romney simply because of his abject absolute complete and total hate for Obama. And despite his love affair with all things firearms, nothing Romney says in a national debate will change that.

And our friend Turtle is but one very obvious example. It is evident here in spades. The right wing hates Obama with passion not seen in many presidents.

wrong again. Obama has in the past

1) supported a complete ban on handguns

2) voted against a law that prevents anti gun mayors from suing gun makers for "crime"

3) supported the clinton "assault weapon ban"

4) appointed a woman who was well established as a hard core gun rights hater to the USSC

5) appointed another woman whose background is almost guaranteed to lead her to anti gun decisions.

6) supported "fast and furious" , a scheme designed to manufacture evidence to be used against American gun rights.

many of his inner circle are hard core gun haters such as former consigliere Rahm Emanuel

thank you for supplying ample evidence that my observation of folks with your opinions was dead on 100% correct.

Its all over this site. Look at your friend Turtle - he would not vote for anybody but Romney simply because of his abject absolute complete and total hate for Obama. And despite his love affair with all things firearms, nothing Romney says in a national debate will change that.

And our friend Turtle is but one very obvious example. It is evident here in spades. The right wing hates Obama with passion not seen in many presidents.
Good, then you should have no trouble substantiating your claim by providing links to the places where Turtle (or anyone else) states that they will vote for Romney "because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin in their extremist eyes."

This is a pathetic position for pro-Second Amendment voters to be in.

That is why I shall be voting for Gary Johnson.

Regardless of whether he loses or not.

thank you for supplying ample evidence that my observation of folks with your opinions was dead on 100% correct.

thanks for confirming that a factual analysis will be rejected by those who have their talking points sent to them by their superiors

Good, then you should have no trouble substantiating your claim by providing links to the places where Turtle (or anyone else) states that they will vote for Romney "because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin" in his eyes.

Just look a couple of posts up - #35 - from Turtle himself. Even Ray Charles could see it. And he is both blind and dead.

Of course, we also have the time tested wisdom that there are none so blind as he who will not see. So if you want to canoe down the river named Denial, enjoy your trip.

That is why I shall be voting for Gary Johnson.

Regardless of whether he loses or not.

the gun law battles are mainly won in the courts. Bush's judges were pro gun' Obama and Clinton's anti gun

if you want pro gun judges its stupid to throw your vote away in a battleground state

Just look a couple of posts up from Turtle himself. Even Ray Charles could see it. And he is both blind and dead.

Of course, we also have the time tested wisdom that there are none so blind as he who will not see. So if you want to canoe down the river named Denial, enjoy your trip.
I have asked you to substantiate your claim, and you have proven yourself impotent to do so. Now are you going to do the decent thing and retract it?

Good, then you should have no trouble substantiating your claim by providing links to the places where Turtle (or anyone else) states that they will vote for Romney "because Obama is Obama and that is an unforgivable sin in their extremist eyes."

I despite obama's politics for several reasons

1) he has declared class war on people like me

2) the Obama ticket is the most anti gun ticket to ever be in the whitehouse

3) the most adamant supporters of obama tend to be hateful of success and gun rights

thanks for confirming that a factual analysis will be rejected by those who have their talking points sent to them by their superiors

You just confirmed it with your own posts. thank you for testifying for the prosecution. :roll:;)

Of course, you could actually tell me that I AM WRONG simply by stating that you have decided to NOT vote for Romney.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

3) the most adamant supporters of obama tend to be hateful of success and gun rights

It is perfectly reasonable to oppose a politician based upon opposition to his policies.

Keeping with your theme, can you also tell us where Jimmy Hoffa is buried and what happened to Judge Crater?

It is perfectly reasonable to oppose a politician based upon opposition to his policies.

especially when he lies about people like me and wants to take more from me and my family to buy the votes of the scummy parasites who support him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom