• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does LGBT Need To Be Changed?

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I've never really understood these initials being all put together as one. I guess lesbian means women and gay means men but aren't lesbians gay? Do men and women both really need their own initials? Does anyone really discriminate or treat bisexuals differently? I've never really come across that in my many decades of being alive so why do they even need to be listed at all? And it seems like transgender should be like a category all to itself. Is it time to relook at how we define this stuff and get rid of or change this abbreviation?

I've never really understood these initials being all put together as one. I guess lesbian means women and gay means men but aren't lesbians gay? Do men and women both really need their own initials? Does anyone really discriminate or treat bisexuals differently? I've never really come across that in my many decades of being alive so why do they even need to be listed at all? And it seems like transgender should be like a category all to itself. Is it time to relook at how we define this stuff and get rid of or change this abbreviation?

Why do you care?

Does LGBT Need To Be Changed?

I think it already started with the 'T'! :2razz:

Well it's not my group so they can change it to what ever they want but are you honestly asking if people treat and discriminate against gay men women and bisexuals? of course they do. Are you from america. They should be all together including transgenders and in the end after all the court cases etc they will all be protected like me and you by the 14th under "sex"

Well it's not my group so they can change it to what ever they want but are you honestly asking if people treat and discriminate against gay men women and bisexuals? of course they do. Are you from america. They should be all together including transgenders and in the end after all the court cases etc they will all be protected like me and you by the 14th under "sex"

I haven't really noticed much of any discrimination regarding bisexuals. Aren't gays, gays? Why do we need to differentiate between gay men and gay women? Trans are a whole different category. If you are going to lump every person who can be discriminated against into one big category then why don't we just use every letter of the alphabet?

I haven't really noticed much of any discrimination regarding bisexuals. Aren't gays, gays? Why do we need to differentiate between gay men and gay women? Trans are a whole different category. If you are going to lump every person who can be discriminated against into one big category then why don't we just use every letter of the alphabet?

Again it most certainly exist and its especially obvious between the level of discrimination between gay men and women and trans men and woman. Yes gays are gays but not to bigots. Bigots treat them differently and on a very large scale. Think of it this way. "Stereotypically" what happens if two gay women start making out at a large college party? What about two gay guys. Hugely different results. What about a bisexual person, before their rights to marriage were 50% protected so yes its different. And again no Trans will be protected under sex like we all should. Yes a trans person isn't always gay and vice versa but it should still be under sex. Just like there are minority groups out there. LGBT is just fine and its not our group so its not our decision.

Generally problems that affect one of the groups affects the others, they all have the same or at least similar problems namely social acceptance and discrimination. If someone discriminate one, they generally discriminate against the others, if someone discriminates against gay men they also probably discriminate against transsexuals and lesbians as well for the same reasons.

I've never really understood these initials being all put together as one.
And with good reason because lesbians and gay men fought against the acceptance of bi and transgender for quite some time

I guess lesbian means women and gay means men but aren't lesbians gay? Do men and women both really need their own initials? Does anyone really discriminate or treat bisexuals differently?
gays and lesbians fought hard against them at the beginning and that is just the tip of the iceberg...plus after Pulse would you really question if bi's are treated differently...

anything which differs from what some perceive to be the norm is frightening to some

I've never really come across that in my many decades of being alive so why do they even need to be listed at all? And it seems like transgender should be like a category all to itself. Is it time to relook at how we define this stuff and get rid of or change this abbreviation?
things will evolve naturally as they always do from those within

here's a quick def page: https://internationalspectrum.umich.edu/life/definitions

Here are some of the words and acronyms that are commonly used in American English for LGBT issues.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQA, TBLG: These acronyms refer to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and Asexual or Ally. Although all of the different identities within “LGBT” are often lumped together (and share sexism as a common root of oppression), there are specific needs and concerns related to each individual identity.

Asexual: A person who generally does not feel sexual attraction or desire to any group of people. Asexuality is not the same as celibacy.

Ally: Typically any non-LGBT person who supports and stands up for the rights of LGBT people, though LGBT people can be allies, such as a lesbian who is an ally to a transgender person.

Biphobia: Aversion toward bisexuality and bisexual people as a social group or as individuals. People of any sexual orientation can experience such feelings of aversion. Biphobia is a source of discrimination against bisexuals, and may be based on negative bisexual stereotypes or irrational fear.

Bisexual: A person who is attracted to both people of their own gender and another gender. Also called “bi”.

Cisgender: Types of gender identity where an individual's experience of their own gender matches the sex they were assigned at birth.

Coming Out: The process of acknowledging one’s sexual orientation and/or gender identity to other people. For most LGBT people this is a life-long process.

Gay: A person who is attracted primarily to members of the same sex. Although it can be used for any sex (e.g. gay man, gay woman, gay person), “lesbian” is sometimes the preferred term for women who are attracted to women

Again it most certainly exist and its especially obvious between the level of discrimination between gay men and women and trans men and woman. Yes gays are gays but not to bigots. Bigots treat them differently and on a very large scale. Think of it this way. "Stereotypically" what happens if two gay women start making out at a large college party? What about two gay guys. Hugely different results. What about a bisexual person, before their rights to marriage were 50% protected so yes its different. And again no Trans will be protected under sex like we all should. Yes a trans person isn't always gay and vice versa but it should still be under sex. Just like there are minority groups out there. LGBT is just fine and its not our group so its not our decision.

Are you blind and cannot read? I never said that there was no discrimination against gays and transgenders. I merely said that I have seen almost no discrimination against bisexuals. And I have asked, do we really need to differentiate between gay women and gay men by having the initials L & G? Why can't we lump them both into just a "G", skip the bisexual part altogether, and put "T"'s in their own different category. If we are going to lump every person who can be discriminated against into one category, then why don't we just include every letter of the alphabet?

What's the purpose of having Q-for-Queer on the end of the acronymn LGBTQ? What additional distinction is Q-for-Queer making that LGBT isn't already defining?

To me, it seems redundant - or perhaps defining something other than sexual orientation, like whether you want to dress flamboyantly or not.

Otherwise, why not call it LGBTQFD (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Queer, Fag, Dyke)?

You can then cover every possible slang word then.

Are you blind and cannot read? I never said that there was no discrimination against gays and transgenders. I merely said that I have seen almost no discrimination against bisexuals. And I have asked, do we really need to differentiate between gay women and gay men by having the initials L & G? Why can't we lump them both into just a "G", skip the bisexual part altogether, and put "T"'s in their own different category. If we are going to lump every person who can be discriminated against into one category, then why don't we just include every letter of the alphabet?

The only blind one must be you because I didn't say you said that either HAHAHA I said they are different between the groups and paying attention to the context of the conversation I pointed out "the difference" most certainly exists. Your mistake. Seems you have a lot of anger over this issue. And I already answered YES we need them because they are discriminated against differently and if they want them its their group. T's don't need a different category as they belong and maybe one day they will use the whole alphabets and numbers too. Will you still be just as angry? hahaha

What's the purpose of having Q-for-Queer on the end of the acronymn LGBTQ? What additional distinction is Q-for-Queer making that LGBT isn't already defining?

To me, it seems redundant - or perhaps defining something other than sexual orientation, like whether you want to dress flamboyantly or not.

Otherwise, why not call it LGBTQFD (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Queer, Fag, Dyke)?

the Q doesn't "just" stand for queer, it can also mean questioning so it encompasses a whole plethora of possible leanings

I thought the word Queer was offensive.

the Q doesn't "just" stand for queer, it can also mean questioning so it encompasses a whole plethora of possible leanings

What is the purpose of including Questioning into the acronym - is it just to mention every possible sexual issue imaginable?
How about ICGL for I-Can't-Get-Laid? It's much more common, after all.

Or maybe MCIHITI:
My-Cousin-Is-Hot-Is-That-Illegal?

What is the purpose of including Questioning into the acronym - is it just to mention every possible sexual issue imaginable?

Or maybe MCIHITI:
:lamo

if you are a member of the ICGL you are likely male and should add the letter E at the end for the truth

:2razz: E= enough (for my small brain)

I merely said that I have seen almost no discrimination against bisexuals.

bisexuals get pressure both within and without to "choose" between male or female partners or that those with same sex partners could've chosen the "right" path. My (apparently bisexual) uncle had 3 kids with a woman, divorced, then married a guy. Even his own kids believe he was gay from the start and using their mom to further his career and have kids, because they just can't understand he's attracted to *both*

And I have asked, do we really need to differentiate between gay women and gay men by having the initials L & G? Why can't we lump them both into just a "G", skip the bisexual part altogether, and put "T"'s in their own different category.

lesbians and gay men are treated hugely differently and you know this. In addition, the L or G is relevant because anatomy is the entire reason who we're attracted to is even an issue

transgender is different a lot of lgb wish to abandon them, but it's ultimately up to everyone to decide which they want to refer to, or to just use words like "gay" to refer to lgb. Other times, the subject being discussed is sexual identity or gender identity so using 'lgbt' makes no sense. Still other times, it makes no sense to exclude them. Trans people were killed in orlando too for instance

If we are going to lump every person who can be discriminated against into one category, then why don't we just include every letter of the alphabet?

and those would have nothing in common with lgb, which unite over purposes of *sexual identity*. This is a worthless attempt to trivialize the unique challenges faced by lgbt

Or maybe MCIHITI:

sexual identity issue...

"i can't get laid" isn't even a social cause, unless you're talking about forcing unwilling partners. It can't really function as a support group either, as meeting someone who also can't get laid is called a hookup app

I keep hearing gender is fluid so how about changing Lesbian-Gay-Bi-Transgendered to Fluid Associative Gender Status?

Back
Top Bottom