• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does God have a sense of humour ?

Does God have a sense of humour ?

• Total voters

robin

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
A couple of years ago my work took me to the Falklands Isles for a week.
Whilst there I encountered some elephant seals, Mirounga leonina, on a beach on Sea Lion Island.
Myself & another chap did, perhaps accidently on purpose, get rather close to some males (bulls) on several occasions :smile:
Consequently we were chased down the beach by them.
We could hardly run for laughing :lol:

I can only say they are the most wonderfully absurd creatures.
Three tons of growling roaring rippling muscle & blubber with a short trunk & they ripple along like giant slugs whilst making a belching sound.
To think this absurd creature is the culmination of 3.5 billion years of evolution !
Upon reflection it occurred to me that perhaps the only explanation for the existence of this wonderful absurdity is that God has a sense of humour. I mean I know these seals suite their niche & their behaviour & appearance is simply what is required for them to serve their genes, but is there more to it than that ?

My reasoning is as follows... I've heard it said that Bach is a sign from God. His music is so stupendous & perfect & passionate & sublime it's hard to accept it simply is a product of evolution & a human brain.
In that case, could it be that Elephant seals are also a sign from God.. a sign that he has a sense of humour, or is God along with Jesus as reflected in religious literature, rather serious & humourless to the point of being dour.
What do you think ?
I took the pictures myself.
Funnily enough the pups are dead cute as you can see.

Last edited:
robin said:
A couple of years ago my work took me to the Falklands Isles for a week.
Whilst there I encountered some elephant seals, Mirounga leonina, on a beach on Sea Lion Island.
Myself & another chap did, perhaps accidently on purpose, got rather close to them on several occasions :smile:
Consequently we were chased down the beach by them.
We could hardly run for laughing.
I can only say they are the most wonderfully absurd creatures.
Three tons of growling roaring rippling muscle & blubber with a short trunk that ripple along like giant slugs whilst making a belching sound.
To think this absurd creature is the culmination of 3.5 billion years of evolution !
Upon reflection it occurred to me that perhaps the only explanation for the existence of this absurdity is that God has a sense of humour. I mean I know these seals suite their niche & their behavious & appearance is simply what is required for them to serve their genes, but is there more to it than that ?
I've heard it said that Bach is a sign from God.
His music is so stupendous & perfect & passionate & sublime it's hard to accept it simply is a product of evolution & a human brain.
Could it be that Elephant seals are a sign from God that he has a sense of humour ?
In other words... does God have a sense of humour, or is God along with Jesus as reflected in religious literature, rather serious & humourless to the point of being dour.
What do you think ?

I think so, just look at Howard Dean, God must indeed have a sense of humour.;)

Of course he does. I often call myself his hackey sack.

If you want to make God laugh...tell him your future plans...

Deegan said:
I think so, just look at Howard Dean, God must indeed have a sense of humour.;)

And God told Bush to invade Iraq...so I'm sure God had a great laugh when Bush actually did it!

And God told Bush that he could become an idiot, so he did.

An entity that does not exist can not have a sense of humor, period.

Hoot said:
And God told Bush to invade Iraq...so I'm sure God had a great laugh when Bush actually did it!
LOL........

Back
Top Bottom