• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does being an ex-president or even a presidential candidate make you immune from prosecution?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I keep reading, watching and listening to pro-Trump people reminding us that he is am ex-president or/and a possible presidential candidate and thus he should not be under investigation for taking those documents and refusing to give all of them back or trying to overturn the election results in Georgia by pressuring Georgia officials. They say it is all political, but isn't it legal? Didn't Trump possibly violate either Federal or state laws and does being an ex-president or a possible presidential candidate make him immune from investigation and possible prosecution. Do we do the same for Senators, House members, or even normal citizens? If I had called state officials in my state and made threats that they either name my candidate the winner even, if he lost, or I would do something to them, I would certainly be investigated and already be wearing orange even if I was running for office in my state. If you had stolen documents from the Feds, some possible being classified, would you be investigated and possibly prosecuted even if you were running for office in your state. It should be true in this nation that no one is above the law, but it seems that those who support Trump feel it is true for everyone BUT Trump.

I think you have to be a former Secretary of State to be immune from prosecution.

I keep reading, watching and listening to pro-Trump people reminding us that he is am ex-president or/and a possible presidential candidate and thus he should not be under investigation for taking those documents and refusing to give all of them back or trying to overturn the election results in Georgia by pressuring Georgia officials. They say it is all political, but isn't it legal? Didn't Trump possibly violate either Federal or state laws and does being an ex-president or a possible presidential candidate make him immune from investigation and possible prosecution. Do we do the same for Senators, House members, or even normal citizens? If I had called state officials in my state and made threats that they either name my candidate the winner even, if he lost, or I would do something to them, I would certainly be investigated and already be wearing orange even if I was running for office in my state. If you had stolen documents from the Feds, some possible being classified, would you be investigated and possibly prosecuted even if you were running for office in your state. It should be true in this nation that no one is above the law, but it seems that those who support Trump feel it is true for everyone BUT Trump.
Nope, it doesn't work that way.

Being a former Vice President doesn’t help you.

It is an unwritten policy ......... it could be against the law.

It depends. According to the DOJ, the President is immune to criminal prosecution while occupying the office. That can also mean that a former President has no criminal liability for anything they did while in office.

It depends. According to the DOJ, the President is immune to criminal prosecution while occupying the office. That can also mean that a former President has no criminal liability for anything they did while in office.
Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable conclusion.

I mean why not give any president who is desperate to remain in power the authority to perpetuate any crime to remain in office with absolute immunity.

The party of law and order doesn't think something could go wrong with this scenario...oh wait, never mind.

US democracy is in crisis. We treat the President like a monarch. The President is a citizen, that is all.

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable conclusion.

I mean why not give any president who is desperate to remain in power the authority to perpetuate any crime to remain in office with absolute immunity.

The party of law and order doesn't think something could go wrong with this scenario...oh wait, never mind.
That’s what Congress is for.

US democracy is in crisis. We treat the President like a monarch. The President is a citizen, that is all.
Yep. This is a serious problem.

Congress is for removing a sitting President.
That would be tested if a President did actually shoot and kill somebody on 5th Avenue. As it is there is no hard and fast rule regarding prosecuting a President even today. All we have is an opinion rendered by DOJ during the Nixon years. That is all it is.

We have considered it like we would if it had been on a tablet brought down off the mountain by Moses mainly because we are scared shitless of what prosecuting a President would be like. That is it....that is the thin logic that supports what is nothing more than an opinion from DOJ.

One advantage to a parliamentary system is that the prime minister can be voted out at any time.
I'm willing to support changes that remove some power from the top office. It's obvious that such safeguards are needed.

Does being an ex-president or even a presidential candidate make you immune from prosecution?

Don't know, but it worked for Hillary.

No, he can not be tried while in office because it would interfere with his carrying out his duties. That does not mean in any way once out of office his crimes while in office go unpunished.

Don't know, but it worked for Hillary.
You do realize she was never president don't you.

No, he can not be tried while in office because it would interfere with his carrying out his duties. That does not mean in any way once out of office his crimes while in office go unpunished.
Congress I believe is the only authority over a sitting president. That's what impeachment is for.

Congress is for removing a sitting President.
???

Back
Top Bottom