• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you believe there is a global debt supercycle?

Neomalthusian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Kyle Bass On The End Of The Debt Super-Cycle

The Debt Supercycle Reaches Its Final Chapter

Last edited:
Is it a Harley or a BMW supercycle?

The Supercycle is just an illusion to distract us from the real problem.......SUPERAIDS!

Household and corporate debt have risen faster than govt debt, all combined are near 400% of GDP. Household debt is still primarily mortgage. A lot of household debt declines recently are due to refi of mortgages. The articles are hinting of a major decline in total debt, the way for continued declines in household debt is not clear, since 2005 bankruptcies for individuals has become more difficult and wages are not increasing, in real terms they have been stagnate (since 1980, when personal debt really took off). I suppose business defaults could increase, but they still have access to lots of capital and lately have been taking on more debt in spite of having lots of cash reserves. Previously, the last great debt decline was in 1933 thru 1940, that was a long unwinding of personal debt while govt debt increased modestly.

So....is there a "cycle"?

Mmm...dunno.....since this would be a first real cycle....from what I can gather from your sources.

No cycle just people and government living way beyond their needs.

Roughly... ish. Yes. I think that his call on Japan is a bit too close (I think they will have more time than he does - not by much, but a year or two), but broadly Bass is correct.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…