• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you agree with keeping but marking controversial statues?

Do you agree with keeping but marking controversial statues?

• Total voters
This gets complicated. Normally, I would be with the folks who say "leave it alone and make your arguments somewhere else". However, in Albuquerque, a statue of Conquistador Onate has been erected more than once by Hispanos who want to celebrate the suppression of the Natives, and has had its right foot cut off more than once by Natives wanting to point out his cruelty for cutting off the right feet of a great number of Natives for their insurrection. I find myself agreeing with the Natives, and wanting his foot left off and a plaque explaining the controversy added to the statue.

Local politicians however have decided to keep the peace by removing him.

Russia defeated the Nazis. Churchill did not.

I think tear them down. The views of those who are being mistreated count for the most

We should stop making statues.

I have a now-deceased grandmother who in her youth was jailed in colonial India for marching to demand freedom from Churchill's occupation of that nation, so I am perfectly OK with Churchill statues being destroyed, but I am also OK with them being marked with contextualizing information. That said, I will not lose sleep over some random person wanting to believe that he was some great dude. In the grand scheme of things, anyone who derives their personal value or net worth from their connection to or relationship with or respect for some public figure is pretty much damned to fail at life anyway since they are looking outward rather than inward. So let them find fulfillment in worshiping statues of relics while the rest of us write our own modern stories.

But people see those statues every day and get the message, this is what we admire in sociey

HAHAHAHAA!! The allies did nothing to help russia. Russia got to Berlin first b/c they defeated Hitler alone
Nothing? FFS that's the most ignorant trolling bullshit that I have heard in a while.

History just does not agree with your take that Russia single-handedly defeated Hitler. We sent Russia arms, without them no Russia. etc etc etc. Damn you are really ignorant about WW2.

We sent some aid. The russians did the fighting. Without russia, HItler wins WWII

The russians
In my opinion -> The Allied forces should have gone one block east after "stabilizing" Germany. One more pit spot to Stalin and it would have saved us the troubles of today where similar forces of authoritarianism are upon us from the same area.

Churchill called him "Uncle Joe" though, I can add that to the list of the flaws or I can reason that it was the reality of the time. I think I will go with the reality of the time, I will not want to join the crowd that judges historical events based on the standards of 2022 on this one aspect.

Last edited:
You've been reading too much Yankee revisionist history. Slavery aside, the South had sufficient Causus Belli to secede, due to Yankee tariffs and other actions of obnoxious little feds, which continue to this day. When the Union was first formed, regardless of your 21st Century sensibilities, a compromise was reached between those who wanted a powerful central government (Hamilton et al) and those who wanted a decentralized government where states were considered better at meeting the needs of their distinct populations (Jefferson et al). Yankee big government types immediately began the process of subverting that compromise. It would have been particularly galling to the South that the Yankees who were most gung ho to abolish slavery were the rich heirs of the slave trading fortunes of Connecticutt sea captains. I have never seen any mention of any of them proposing to buy back any of the slaves they sold and free them, only expropriate them.

The insistence of Yankees that slavery was the only issue has been used to demonize the South ever since. It is probably also a reason for Southerners to scapegoat Blacks as being the cause of the destruction of the South.

What a load of lost cause drivel.

The South was EXPLICITLY fighting to defend slavery. One can’t “set slavery aside”; it was the reason teh ey were trying to break away in the first place. It’s like trying to ignore Anti-Semitism when talking about Nazi Germany.

The SOUTH was the one which had controlled the federal government for the last thirty years prior to Lincoln being elected, so arguing that the Federal government had “alienated” them is amusingly ignorant. The federal government had been a tool of southern interests pretty much the entire time, whether it was hindering the creation of the Trans-Continental Railroad or establishing the “Fugitive Slave Act” to try and extend the “peculiar institution” northwards, to name just two examples.

No, what was “particularly galling” to southerners was the idea of slavery being abolished at ALL. Thanks to “delightful” works like Fitzhugh’s Sociology for the South, Southerners had come to the delusion that slavery was a “good” and “moral” thing, and worth defending. Hence why they seceded to try and protect it.

Then you clearly weren’t paying attention, because it was tried. The south didn’t care, because they weren’t giving up their slaves, period.

“ During the Civil War, in November 1861, President Lincoln drafted an act to be introduced before the legislature of Delaware, one of the four slave states that remained loyal (the others being Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri), for compensated emancipation.[4] However this was narrowly defeated. Lincoln also was behind national legislation towards the same end, but the Southern states, which regarded themselves as having seceded from the Union, ignored the proposals.[5][6]”

The South was EXPLICITLY fighting to defend slavery. There was no “scapegoating” or “demonizing” in the slightest. The CSA was one of the most vile regimes in history, and it’s a good thing the slavers’ revolt was crushed.

The idea was a complete and utter nonstarter.

First off, the Red Army by 1945 numbered over eleven MILLION men. That’s about as large as the ENTIRE US military put together at that point. Furthermore, those troops have a qualitatively superior tank, the T-34, in large numbers and were battle hardened by going up against the elite of the Wehrmacht.

The Western Allies not only still had to deal with Imperial Japan, but they’d been fighting for the past several years. People were done. They had no interest in fighting what would have been a colossally long and brutal war right after the Nazis were beaten, especially since they’d just seen what a disaster an invasion of the USSR turned out to be. Oh, AND the USSR knew the plan was being discussed, so there was no element of surprise.

Invading the USSR would not have “stopped authoritarianism”; it would have killed millions of Americans and victory was far from being assured. There’s a reason it was dubbed “Operation Unthinkable”.

Excellent. A realist. I think you are on your way to the center.

HAHAHAHAA!! The allies did nothing to help russia. Russia got to Berlin first b/c they defeated Hitler alone

Uh.....that’s very much untrue. The Western Allies provided a substantial amount of logistical aid to help the Soviet(and it WAS the Soviets, not just Russia) war effort as well as sending tanks and aircraft of varying quality(some Soviet tankers really did like their Shermans, for instance). That’s not even getting into the fact that the Western Allies carried out many convoy defense operations on the way to Murmansk, or the “second front” invasions of first Italy and then Normandy.

Arguing “Russia defeated Hitler alone” is inaccurate. The Soviets played a massive, vital role, but they weren’t alone.

Excellent. A realist. I think you are on your way to the center.

People who think we could have invaded the USSR after World War Two with any significant hope of success just don’t really understand the facts involved, both in terms of material and morale.

Without the allies, Russia would have been defeated.

Not likely. Once Operation Typhoon failed, the odds of Germany succeeding in knocking out the USSR dwindled rapidly. Lend lease helped a lot, but it only made up a fraction of the Soviet war effort.

The war probably would have dragged into ‘46 or ‘47, but the Germans would have still been beaten back.

You seem lost this is not stormfront or some KKK site.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…