• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do parents affect the chances you have in life?

getsyourgoat

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi guys,

OK... Do parents affect the chances you have in life?

The reason I ask is that one of my friends said he has never accomplished anything in life as he comes from a broken home. (Meaning parents have split)

My view is that you make your own chances and choices in life, even if you have no money you can still improve your quality of life. Its about motivating yourself to create and seize those opportunities...

What does everyone think? have you come from nothing to something?

Of course your parents affect your chances. If your parents are rich, they can pay for you to go to college, or even private school before that. Well-connected parents can in turn connect their children, and our behavior is greatly influenced by our parents behavior.

That being said, I think your core point is this: We must still take full responsibility for who we are. A broken home is an influence, but it is not an excuse. Similarly, a person who is successful is not so simply because they have been born into privilege(well, in most cases anyways). To that extent, of course I agree with you.

There are some opportunities I certainley missed out on, as a child, due to my parents choices they made. But I never used that as an excuse to not do something with my life. So, yes it affects the chances you have in life, but only because it would have offered you a different path than the one you took. Its impossible to say if you would have ended up being a better person or had a better life. All you would have had is better opportunities, it would have still been up to you to make the most of them, or throw them away.

Good topic....
At 18, I was on my own, and knew it. My parents were in no way supportive of education for their kids. In fact, my mother was openly resentful that her kids got better than she did as a child.
I joined the navy, got some good schools, used most of the GI bill later on, and lived within my means. Along the way I married a poor farm girl. She had wonderful parents, but they were very poor, and it was a considerable sacrifice for them but they put her and some of their other kids thru at least 2 years of college. That was our start. We done good overall, living well and have some extra to help our kids get started.
On MY side of the family, counting up my 4 siblings and all my nephews and nieces, there are very few who are living well or have gotten a good education. Most will never enjoy middle class living.
On HER side of our family, of all her siblings, nephews, nieces, only ONE nephew is a loser in the game of life. Clearly he had all the good influences, but chose to take a path of alchohol, drugs, women, more women, kids, more kids, and later on, crime...
The rest of her side are for the most part college educated, and continuing the effort to make the subsequent generations successful.
Positive parental influence is probably the best fertilizer to use to grow a successful family tree...

Without a doubt, your parents directly contribute or detract from the potential successes you have in life.

It can be as simple as a parent not feeding the child correctly leading to stunted brain development (fat deficiency for example). Does that impact your chances? Of course.

It can also be less direct things like a parent never challenging a child, or the lack of early education they provide to the child, the environment they raise the child in, and so forth.

Anytime someone claims anyone has the opportunity to do XYZ, you have to really look at it closely. I mean, it typically comes from someone who DID have every opportunity, and they can't for the life of them see it from any other perspective in the nearly infinite number of variations that exist in any human population.

The beauty of some modern cultures is that they foster finding a role where person can contribute to society, no matter their real or self-imposed limitations. That's far more important than simply claiming everyone has equal opportunity, or that parents don't affect our chances in life.

Last edited:
Anybody can alter their life if the are willing and able...

That being said, people and the foundation of who they are and what they think/value are formed at an early age, by our parents. Those from broken homes don't learn simple concepts like compromise, if the parents just split, for example. There are many ways that what our parents did and said affect us and who we are...

Some of us are certainly dealt a better hand in life. But advantages can be pissed away while certain disadvantages can be character building.

Some of us are certainly dealt a better hand in life. But advantages can be pissed away while certain disadvantages can be character building.

And that being said, some people that are dealt a "better hand" (usually meaning wealth and security) have ****ty parents. I know many people that were raised by nannies and I know many parents that use day care from almost birth since they are off working. They take vacations without the kids, they send their kids to long summer camps, etc. They are ****ty parents IMO. Those kids are missing out on much of the same things that poor kids are missing in terms of absenty parents.

And that being said, some people that are dealt a "better hand" (usually meaning wealth and security)...

In my experience, a great many of the kids who've been dealt a 'better hand' in life piss that opportunity away at a very young age. I can remember a good number of wealthy kids in college wrecking their lives (permanently) with drugs. I don't know where one would go to find statistics on these sort of things... but my guess is that for every 'advantaged' kid who succeeds, there's at least one who falls flat on his/her face in life.

:cool:

Hi guys,

OK... Do parents affect the chances you have in life?

The reason I ask is that one of my friends said he has never accomplished anything in life as he comes from a broken home. (Meaning parents have split)

My view is that you make your own chances and choices in life, even if you have no money you can still improve your quality of life. Its about motivating yourself to create and seize those opportunities...

What does everyone think? have you come from nothing to something?

Yes parents do affect how well you do in life. If you have ****ty parents then 9 times outta 10 the kids are going to be ****ty also. Granted not all parents are that bad. There are middle grounds also. Like my folks. They LOVED to move around while I was a kid. They did they best that they could for me and my siblings. But all that moving around cost us kids quite a bit. It wasn't that stable of a life.

However not all the blame can be laid at the parents feet. You are right to say that we make our own chances and choices in life. After a certain point the parents can no longer be blamed. No matter how much a person might want to. I would say that the time that you can blame your parents is around the ages of 18-25. After that its all on the "kids".

Great topic.

Parenting has a dramatic impact on your chances in life, definitely. What's interesting is I think that our world views are greatly biased depending on our childhood, which arguably makes it difficult to respond to this with an unbiased tone...but I'll give it a go!

I feel I have a unique perspective. My wife was raised in a conservative Christian household (oldest of 3, two girls and a boy), while I was raised very liberal (youngest of 4, one girl and three boys).

In my wife's home, the parents were in absolute charge and music, TV and mode of dress were all highly restricted. Discipline was swift and effective. The children were shielded from the rest of the world, and raised with Christians values and the value of obedience. They were all protected and kept safe, and all conflict between the adults was kept behind closed doors.

The resulting adult (my wife) is someone with strong values, a wonderful positive spirit and a confidence that resulted from the safe environment where she was raised. The drawbacks are that she can be quite naive, has had trouble adapting to the real world, and really struggled with asserting herself.

My upbringing was decidedly different. In my house, we could more or less do what we wanted when we wanted to do it (within reason). I had no curfew starting at a young age, and my Mom found out I was smoking and allowed me to do so starting at the age of 13 (her argument being that she didn't want me to hide it from her but also didn't want to "ban" it). Drug use was very common in my family, and there was also substantial physical and some sexual abuse, and a lack of safety and discipline. Our house was still loving, but there was open conflict on a regular basis. My eldest brother was an untreated schizophrenic, and both my older sister and eldest older brother ran away from home before their 14th birthdays. Not the worst situation I've heard of, but far from the best.

The resulting adult is someone who learned to take care of himself very early by necessity, is unafraid to assert himself, and is independent and often coldly logical. The drawbacks are a tendency to withdraw, a deep need for personal space and have a hard time trusting others...and is often coldly logical. :lol: At times, I can also be unreasonably combative.

The great life my wife and I have built has been the result of years of struggle, mostly relating to my assimilating and moving past the traumas and lack of safety in my childhood. My wife has had some things rough, but we agree it wasn't nearly as difficult for her to adapt and thrive in the world.

We've discussed this over the years, and both agree that neither extreme is ideal, although if and when we have children we'll be strict, and set fairly strict rules.

My point? To the degree that your upbringing had traumas or abuse, it becomes that much more difficult to build a life for yourself. I recall feeling in my late teens as though I didn't deserve a good life, and that I'd never amount to much. That lack of confidence made my 20's very rough. No excuse for not picking myself up and finding a better way to live, though - at some point the pity party has to end, and you have to learn and grow as best you can.

Its difficult to say people will blame all their problems on their parents but there comes a point where it is all you. your an adult and seen as one.

Being born to immigrant Chinese parents in the New Zealand, has really affected my life.

Like most Chinese people living in New Zealand, education is the first thing on their parents' mind, as with mine.

So, I've been raised from the get-go, and taught from the get-go that education has top priority over EVERYTHING. That means homework, study and reading comes before anything else, such as sport, friends, and other stuff. Because of this, I'm not unfit, or anything, but I really suck at sports, because as a kid, I never joined any clubs, or school sports teams.

I'm 16 now, and my parents have let up, they've been letting up for the last 2 years, saying I have to be responsible for my education, but hey, at least my parents aren't forcing me to read every night any more, it's kinda relieving.

Results of my upbringing is yet to be seen, but so far, I'd say it was an okay choice by my parents, as I'm doing alright, and I'll be doing scholarship studies soon....

In my experience, a great many of the kids who've been dealt a 'better hand' in life piss that opportunity away at a very young age. I can remember a good number of wealthy kids in college wrecking their lives (permanently) with drugs. I don't know where one would go to find statistics on these sort of things... but my guess is that for every 'advantaged' kid who succeeds, there's at least one who falls flat on his/her face in life.

:cool:

Having been young, living in the wealthiest county in the U.S. for a time (vis a vis per capita income), I can say that there is truth to this. The high school in the very wealthy neighborhoods for example, so many of the kids cared about nothing but partying, socializing, drinking, smoking pot, driving the cars their parents bought them real fast... So many of those parents never really gave a damn, some of their lives and themselves are pretty screwed up too. I can think of a few times when a kid would crash his brand new BMW and his or her parents would just buy him or her another one, without thinking twice or saying a word. It seemed to me that none of them had souls.

Of course, there were kids stressed almost to the breaking point, burdened with parents that cared too much; lacrosse games, crew, piano recitals, all the hardest, most impressive classes offered... But at least in that place, those kids were outnumbered by the others, the wild and nihilistic.

Duke

Back
Top Bottom