• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Discussion Thread: Black Manta vs. Guy Incognito

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This is the discussion thread for the debate between Black Manta and Guy Incognito which can be seen here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/true-debates/159837-black-manta-vs-guy-incognito.html

The debate will consist of an opening post, 3 posts of arguments, and a concluding post from each participant. The topic is: "Was the original intent of the 2A to protect an individual right or a militia right?"

After the debate a poll will be created where you can vote on the winner.

One comment on the opening salvos would have been nice.

I have no patients.

One comment on the opening salvos would have been nice.

I have no patients.

I don't think we are supposed to comment on substance, but something GI said in his put him in a hole with me as to form.

Both positions are indefensible, and the OPs bear that out.

Both positions are indefensible, and the OPs bear that out.

:roll:

And then you wonder why your posts are seen as a joke.

:roll:

And then you wonder why your posts are seen as a joke.

Not nearly as funny as your premises will be shown to be when the debate is over and they can be discussed.

So they have each made their 3 posts so I guess it is time for the conclusions. I feel like this has been comparable to a debate on the Oxford Comma.

So they have each made their 3 posts so I guess it is time for the conclusions. I feel like this has been comparable to a debate on the Oxford Comma.

It's not over yet, we are having a rules dispute. By my count we each still have one more post of argument then a conclusion. Manta asserts that the debate was forfeited when I post an addedum after running out of edit time on my second argument. I await a ruling from the mods.

Well now that it has been decreed officially over, here are some of my comments:

1) GI--telling people you are going to prove something convincingly is kind of bad form and it puts you in a hole. Debates are not always about being right or wrong.

2) IIRC, neither party mentioned Shay's rebellion. That was a driving force for the Constitution and involved private militia's. I cannot believe that the arguments digressed to Scalia, and dictionaries, and grammar experts without even mentioning the facts on the ground when the Second Amendment was devised

Shays' Rebellion [ushistory.org]

Shays' Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I might recommend Lawrence M. Friedman's A History of American Law to you. It is a very dry book but it pairs up legal changes with discussions of what is going on in society through the start of the 20th Century. There is a different volume for the 20C.

Also, one of the more interesting technocratic analysis of the 2nd I have read is here:

http://www.english.illinois.edu/-people-/faculty/debaron/essays/guns.pdf

I think you two very quickly veered off the beaten path in some emotional pissing match way and your positions became so muddled, so quickly, I cannot say that I would have voted for either of you as the winner had you gone to your conclusions regardless of which one of you I agreed with, if either.

MAN!that was a big ass flop of a debate.:lamo

Well now that it has been decreed officially over, here are some of my comments:

1) GI--telling people you are going to prove something convincingly is kind of bad form and it puts you in a hole. Debates are not always about being right or wrong.

2) IIRC, neither party mentioned Shay's rebellion. That was a driving force for the Constitution and involved private militia's. I cannot believe that the arguments digressed to Scalia, and dictionaries, and grammar experts without even mentioning the facts on the ground when the Second Amendment was devised

Shays' Rebellion [ushistory.org]

Shays' Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I might recommend Lawrence M. Friedman's A History of American Law to you. It is a very dry book but it pairs up legal changes with discussions of what is going on in society through the start of the 20th Century. There is a different volume for the 20C.

Also, one of the more interesting technocratic analysis of the 2nd I have read is here:

http://www.english.illinois.edu/-people-/faculty/debaron/essays/guns.pdf

I think you two very quickly veered off the beaten path in some emotional pissing match way and your positions became so muddled, so quickly, I cannot say that I would have voted for either of you as the winner had you gone to your conclusions regardless of which one of you I agreed with, if either.

Agreed. If he had not posted and then edited while I was responding, it would not have gone there. He just does not understand that in a formal debate you have set guidelines. He wanted to make them up as we went along. I said no, and finally just dropped it.

Nothing wrong with my first 2 posts at all. Of course after that it disintegrated as you said quickly.

Back
Top Bottom