• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Digital Camera?

H

HTColeman

I'm looking for a really small digital camera, cheap, but not worthless. Basically for going out with friends and such. Anyone have any suggestions, I've been looking at the Oregon Scientific, what do yall think?
 

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
HTColeman said:
I'm looking for a really small digital camera, cheap, but not worthless. Basically for going out with friends and such. Anyone have any suggestions, I've been looking at the Oregon Scientific, what do yall think?
My suggestion - email me some nude shots when you get one. ;)
 

Simon W. Moon

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
23,372
Reaction score
8,530
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
A link'd be helpful
 
H

HTColeman

Simon W. Moon said:
A link'd be helpful
Oh yeah, in case you don't happen to periodically read up on digital cameras,

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=594

This is the camera I was lookin at, if anyone has an online subscription to ConsumerReports, I would be your best friend if you look it up for me, I'm in college and I can't pay for a subscription at the current time:(

Its the Oregon Scientific 2.0 Megapixel ThinCam Digital Camera (DS6200-S)
 
H

HTColeman

Naughty Nurse said:
My suggestion - email me some nude shots when you get one. ;)
I wouldn't want to give someone of your age a heart attack...j/k.....but no, I will not send you any pictures
 

Simon W. Moon

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
23,372
Reaction score
8,530
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
HTColeman said:
This is the camera I was lookin at, if anyone has an online subscription to ConsumerReports, I would be your best friend if you look it up for me, I'm in college and I can't pay for a subscription at the current time
Check you campus and local library. They have subscriptions to all sorts of great stuff. Often you can log into subscription service from home (dorm) if you go through the library's portal.
 
H

HTColeman

Simon W. Moon said:
Check you campus and local library. They have subscriptions to all sorts of great stuff. Often you can log into subscription service from home (dorm) if you go through the library's portal.
THANK YOU!!!! I never even knew, now I have access to Consumer Reports, and to think I almost paid for it!
 

Simon W. Moon

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
23,372
Reaction score
8,530
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
HTColeman said:
THANK YOU!!!! I never even knew, now I have access to Consumer Reports, and to think I almost paid for it!
I believe in getting my tax dollars' worth from libraries. They are absolutely incredible resources that are very underutilized.
 
H

HTColeman

Oh yeah, and I want one with good picture quality, but I don't need photography grade photos, I'll rarely print them out. Once again, its just take out of my pocket, shoot, and go. PLEASE, anyone have reccomendations?
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Sorry, I can't really help you...I use digital SLR's, and those definitely aren't going to fit into your pocket!!
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
For what it's worth I paid well over $300 for an Oregon Scientific Weather Station a couple years back. Complete piece o'crap.

Have no idea about their cameras. I believe most of their stuff is made in China. My experience with the weather station would keep from from getting anything with their name on it again.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
What kind of price range are you looking at? Sony has some good cameras, I have one that I bought for my husband, it's only 3.2 megapixels but it takes good pictures if you're not looking for photographer quality....they're not grainy or blurry in the least, unless you try to blow them up too big, which I don't see you doing since you said you didn't plan on printing them too often....They have one that's 6 megapixels that Best Buy has for $200, it would fit in your back pocket at least....here's the info for that one.

Sony DSC-S600
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Also, Canon makes some really nice cameras, they have a 5 megapixel PowerShot that is EXTREMELY thin, so it would easily fit into your pocket....retail, it's about $350, but I searched it on eBay and found a lot of them that are going for a more affordable price range.


Best Buy info - Canon PowerShot SD450
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Stace said:
Also, Canon makes some really nice cameras, they have a 5 megapixel PowerShot that is EXTREMELY thin, so it would easily fit into your pocket....retail, it's about $350, but I searched it on eBay and found a lot of them that are going for a more affordable price range.


Best Buy info - Canon PowerShot SD450

I own an older Powershot. Been a great camera for a long time. Takes outstanding pix. No effort, no skill, does it all for you.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Pacridge said:
I own an older Powershot. Been a great camera for a long time. Takes outstanding pix. No effort, no skill, does it all for you.
And I bet that's exactly the kind of camera HT is looking for! Myself, I prefer more compicated cameras simply because I'm a bit of a photographer at heart - certainly I'm not anywhere near a professional, but I take pictures nearly everywhere I go, and I love playing with all of the different settings and such, just to see what kind of shots I CAN get. :mrgreen:
 

Apostle13

Wisdom Warrior
DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
24
Location
Outer Darkness
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Pacridge said:
For what it's worth I paid well over $300 for an Oregon Scientific Weather Station a couple years back. Complete piece o'crap.

Have no idea about their cameras. I believe most of their stuff is made in China. My experience with the weather station would keep from from getting anything with their name on it again.
Yep... China. Oregon Scientific is like the house brand of electronics (cheapest quality/engineering and mass produced)... This is especially true with their cameras... Don't do it! Also you need at least 3.0 MP's. Best to go with Cannon/Nikon/Minolta but you'll need at least another $100... Otherwise just use your cell phone (assuming) cause its standardly 1.0 MP's and the dif between 2.0 and 1.0 is like crap or crappier..:mrgreen:
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Apostle13 said:
Oregon Scientific is like the house brand of electronics (cheapest quality/engineering and mass produced)... This is especially true with their cameras... Don't do it! Also you need at least 3.0 MP's. Best to go with Cannon/Nikon/Minolta but you'll need at least another $100... Otherwise just use your cellphone (assuming) cause its standardly 1.0 MP's and the dif between 2.0 and 1.0 is like crap or crappier..:mrgreen:
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way.

I agree with the MP's- mine older and has 3.2, at the time that was good. Someone give my daughter a 1.5 as a gift. The difference is very noticeable.
 
H

HTColeman

Ok, so now I know what brands to look for, it looks like I might as well pay a little more for quality, I'd rather save up more money than completly waste $100 bucks!
 

Naughty Nurse

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
HTColeman said:
Once again, its just take out of my pocket, shoot, and go. PLEASE, anyone have reccomendations?
HT - you shouldn't feed me lines like that!!
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
HTColeman said:
Ok, so now I know what brands to look for, it looks like I might as well pay a little more for quality, I'd rather save up more money than completly waste $100 bucks!
Yeah, even if you can save up another $100, you'd be SO much better off. I'd offer to sell my other digital to you (the Sony I mentioned), but my husband wants to use it for work (he's a cop). :(
 
H

HTColeman

Naughty Nurse said:
HT - you shouldn't feed me lines like that!!
:doh ,I have given up censoring myself, if it comes out wrong, I'll fix it later. So, for the record, I was strictly talking about a camera...
 

BWG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
4,373
Reaction score
1,602
Location
South Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hey HT Did you find a camera yet?

I was over at newegg dot com last night looking for something else and saw that they had cameras, I'd forgotten about that. You can sort them out by price, model etc. Saw a couple of nice ones around $100, I think that was in the price range that you were looking. Hope that helps you out. :cool:
 
Top Bottom