• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did SCOTUS Justice Thomas and 11th Circuit Ct Chief Judge Pryor Obstruct this inquiry?

Does it seem SCOTUS Justice Thomas & 11th Circuit Ct Chief Judge Pryor Obstructed this inquiry?

• No, appearance of impropriety is not enough justification to believe misconduct of upper court judge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sub Question, would Justice Thomas agree Dredd Scott as negro had no rights, & segregation

• No, as an originalist, Thomas should disagree with Taney's Dredd Scott Dec. & states rights

• Total voters

Lady of the house wonderin' where it's gonna stop
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Background:

By Jane Mayer
December 21, 2017
"...
“I helped coördinate some rather successful events with him,” Kirk told me, referring to Don, Jr., “and I also carried his bags.” When friends threw Kirk a surprise birthday party earlier this year, Don, Jr., attended, as did Sebastian Gorka, the former Trump White House adviser.
Former employees say that they were directed to work with prominent conservatives, including the wife of the Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, in aid of Republican Presidential candidates in 2016. Perhaps most troubling for an organization that holds up conservatives as the real victims of discrimination in America, Turning Point USA is also alleged to have fostered an atmosphere that is hostile to minorities. Screenshots provided to me by a source show that Crystal Clanton, who served until last summer as the group’s national field director, sent a text message to another Turning Point employee saying, “i hate black people. Like **** them all . . . I hate blacks. End of story.”

Clanton, who resigned after serving as the group’s second-highest official for five years, at first declined to comment..."

Link to cached page of this opinion article,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/18/clerk-texts-appeals-court-clanton/

Opinion: The curious case of the clerk and the racist texts​

By Ruth Marcus
Deputy editorial page editor|Follow
January 18, 2022

After news reports about Pryor’s hiring of Clanton, seven House Democrats filed a complaint against Pryor and a district court judge who had also hired Clanton. The complaint was transferred to the 2nd Circuit, which disclosed last week that Chief Judge Debra Ann Livingston had dismissed the complaint in December.
Notably, the 2nd Circuit order affirming the dismissal makes clear that it did not decide “whether the information the Judges elicited and received regarding their hiring decisions was accurate, but only that they committed no misconduct in performing due diligence and then determining to hire the candidate based on the information before them.”

Here is where things get interesting. Reporting on the dismissal, Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Bill Rankin unearthed letters that aren’t in the public file but were submitted to the court by Pryor and Justice Thomas.

The Thomas letter, which offers a fascinating look at the close relationship Clanton had with the couple, describes how “Crystal came to live with us and work with my wife about three years ago after her controversial and public departure from Turning Point USA … My wife informed me of the horrible way in which she had been treated at Turning Point and asked that she be allowed to live with us. I agreed, and she lived with us for almost a year.” Thomas relates how he encouraged Clanton, “understandably distraught and depressed,” to go to law school; recommended her when she applied to law school; and then suggested her to Pryor as a clerk, informing him of “the grossly out of character and unfounded allegations against her.” Thomas concludes, “It is certainly my intention to consider her for a clerkship should she perform as I expect and excel in her clerkships.”

The Pryor letter goes into more detail. “Before I hired her, I determined, after careful investigation, that Crystal had been a victim of a false accusation of racist behavior by a tabloid reporter whose central accusation relied entirely on an anonymous source in her scandalous report.” Of Mayer, Pryor states, “I was familiar with the reporter who published that initial report, and I distrusted her work.”

Last edited:
Background for poll's subquestion,

Sub Question, would Justice Thomas agree Dredd Scott as negro had no rights, & segregation (is an individual state's right to decide)

March 11, 2019
Sol Wachtler, a former chief judge of the New York State Court of Appeals, is a distinguished adjunct professor at Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center.

Three questions for Clarence Thomas | CNN​

https://www.cnn.com › 2013/06/09 › clarence-thomas-thr...

Jun 25, 2013 —Yale and Reagan treated him the same way, but he hates one and reveres the other,” Toobin wrote. “Thomas never acknowledges, much less explains ..."

BOOKS OF THE TIMES

‘The Enigma of Clarence Thomas’ Makes a Strong Case for Its Provocative Thesis​

By Jennifer Szalai
  • Published Sept. 23, 2019
  • "...While white conservatives have since pointed to Jim Crow’s demise as evidence that the country has moved beyond its historic sins to become a colorblind society, Thomas’s views on race relations have always exuded a potent fatalism. “I am here to say that discrimination, racism and bigotry have gone no place and probably never will,” he told the graduating class of Savannah State College in 1985. But he wasn’t just saying that some things don’t change; he was saying that things had gotten worse. That same year, he told a group of black conservatives: “What we had in Georgia under Jim Crow was not as bad as this.”

By “this,” he meant what white liberals had wrought — integration and social reform, or what Thomas prefers to call “indiscriminate social engineering.” He acknowledges that he was a beneficiary of affirmative action, but insists that such programs are inevitably stigmatizing and demeaning to the people they’re meant to help. His position sets him apart from other conservatives, who typically cast affirmative action as tantamount to discrimination against white people — an argument Thomas doesn’t buy. “They must remember that if we are to play the victim game,” Thomas wrote in 1996, five years after joining the Supreme Court, “the very people they decry have the better claim to victim status.”

“Thomas believes that affirmative action is a white program for white people,” Robin writes, a way for liberal elites to perform a “patronizing indulgence” while still maintaining their control over who gets admitted into their ranks. State action cannot help African-Americans — it can only harm them. Robin shows how Thomas’s jurisprudence — curtailing voting rights and limiting regulatory powers — both assumes a political futility and exacerbates it, discouraging African-Americans from participating in the political realm and pushing them to focus their energies in the economic one. ."

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's long fight ... - Vox

https://www.vox.com › supreme-court-clarence-thomas...
Mar 29, 2022 — And he would invalidate a long list of laws including the federal bans on child labor and on whites-only lunch counters, based on a widely ...

Last edited:
Thomas is not leaving the court no matter what size hissy fit the left throws!

Back
Top Bottom