• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DHS releases 12,000 Hatians into the U.S.

How many did you interview to ascertain that none had valid asylum claims? I assume that like Trump, you would have preferred Norwegians to Haitians.

Of course. Mycroft, like all of the Trump devotees, is angry that we let 12,000 black people seek asylum.

Of course. Mycroft, like all of the Trump devotees, is angry that we let 12,000 black people seek asylum.
Seeking Asylum is fine, why could they not have stayed in Mexico for processing (to ensure that they qualify for Asylum, economic hardship is not a qualifying factor) but were instead distributed in the US on their own recognizance?

Seeking Asylum is fine, why could they not have stayed in Mexico for processing (to ensure that they qualify for Asylum, economic hardship is not a qualifying factor) but were instead distributed in the US on their own recognizance?

Where in our asylum laws does it say they have to be in Mexico to seek asylum?

Where in our asylum laws does it say they have to be in Mexico to seek asylum?
1. Asylum seekers need to have a credible or reasonable fear, and that they should apply for Asylum at the first safe country they get to.
2. They were detained at the border, but then the media in all their glory wanted to paint Border patrol in racist light thus resulting in some bad optics for President Biden, which ended in the release, instead of the processing, of these particular Asylum seekers.
3. The border is there for a reason, the release of immigrants, Asylum seekers or anyone else, to the interior of the country makes the 'border' worthless and open.

1. Asylum seekers need to have a credible or reasonable fear, and that they should apply for Asylum at the first safe country they get to.
2. They were detained at the border, but then the media in all their glory wanted to paint Border patrol in racist light thus resulting in some bad optics for President Biden, which ended in the release, instead of the processing, of these particular Asylum seekers.
3. The border is there for a reason, the release of immigrants, Asylum seekers or anyone else, to the interior of the country makes the 'border' worthless and open.

Where in our asylum laws does it say they have to remain in Mexico? My question was crystal clear. And the answer has nothing to do with the media or anyone's BDS.

Where in our asylum laws does it say they have to remain in Mexico? My question was crystal clear. And the answer has nothing to do with the media or anyone's BDS.
Your question is nonsensical, there is no requirement. But they had been detained .... and then released into the interior of the US.

I'm sure DHS got the fingerprints they were required to get, right?

You wanting to argue semantics is a problem as the gist of this question is in the execution of the process, not the actual rules governing (or not specifying in minutiae) the process

Your question is nonsensical, there is no requirement. But they had been detained .... and then released into the interior of the US.

I'm sure DHS got the fingerprints they were required to get, right?

You wanting to argue semantics is a problem as the gist of this question is in the execution of the process, not the actual rules governing (or not specifying in minutiae) the process

Thanks for admitting they had no reason to stay in Mexico. You just don't want them here. It isn't your call.

Has happened before with others, admitted when they pass a screening to see if they have the makings of an asylum claim. I worked on the border in late 2019 with those screened in by ICE. In this case, given dicey conditions in Mexico, I presume the US could set up facilities on the US side of the border to hold the migrants and process asylum claims there, as that is permitted under international standards when there is mass migration. But that more elaborate and expensive approach doesn’t seem to be in the cards — and it would just give people like Carlson something else to be apoplectic about.

I don't think it's a lie, as most have been in South America for quite a while. Some with legitimate I.D. cards issued by host country.
Then the issue becomes twofold: can they return to South America, that is, are those ID cards still valid, and can they safely return to Haiti? It’s up to the US to determine that.

Back
Top Bottom