• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deportation Question.

Could you deport them personally or not?

• Total voters
it always seemed to me the easiest and cheapest way to solve the issue is to make the economic climate unfavorable to attract undocumented workers.

make hiring them a capital crime?

Wow, you really have a dim view of South American nations.

Most of those laws are unenforceable and people would never be held accountable for them, just like the old laws on the books about having to run ahead of cars with lanterns. All it would take is a single case being prosecuted to have the laws removed from the books. The reason they're still there is because nobody is ever arrested for them so the laws are never challenged. Immigration is different, people can be and are arrested and deported.

Try again.

Appeal to humanity is what it is. The question stands, if it was your decision and you had to get your hands dirty, could you do it.

Bro, I'm not going to lie to you... it would be hard. We got a lot of Mexicans around here, most of them are decent hardworking family types, and I know some of them have to be illegal.

But if we're just going to ignore the law, we're not a nation of laws are we? If we're not going to enforce citizenship and border issues, why bother having a border? Well we wouldn't have a country long for one thing...

I'd hate to be the one to do it, but yeah I'd do it if I had to. I think it is necessary. I don't think a sovereign nation survives long by allowing anybody and everybody to cross their border, stay as long as they want, use stolen or fake ID and SSN's to masquerade as a citizen or card holder, breaking the law for their own purposes, when there IS a legal avenue for doing these things.

Why would a country want poor people to come there and be a drain on society?

Maybe these people could afford it if they paid to immigrate instead of paying the coyotes.

It is like that for a reason.

If you are from Mexico you can't gt a visa unless you can prove you have enough assets in Mexico to make sure you will go back at come point.

The only reason poor people go to the US is to take advantage of the country and its people.

It is more likely the kids would be placed with a close relative. They would be American citizens and not subject to deportation.

That's entirely up to the parents. In practice you're right. They leave their kids with someone here figuring they can just cross illegally again and now they can use the sob story that they are just trying to get back to their children. SD will buy it.

When the people are on the Mexican side of the river, life is pretty much worthless, theirs and their children's.

once they cross though, life has much more meaning.

I wonder why.

it always seemed to me the easiest and cheapest way to solve the issue is to make the economic climate unfavorable to attract undocumented workers.

I'm okay with that last as long as it is the same crime for the one trying to be hired. </tongue in cheek>

But in your scenario, these 2 people have been working for 15 years with somebody else's SS numbers thereby causing huge financial damage to that individual.

I think any judge with that case in front of them would send them to jail extremely fast, kids or not.

I don't disagree - in Canada, we allow entry to about 250,000 immigrants each year - the equivalent in the US would be 2,500,000 based on our comparative populations. In Canada, many of those immigrants are financially attractive, those who are bringing $500,000 plus in investment dollars with them when they come. Another large chunk are those that bring employment skills sorely lacking in the Canadian labour pool. The rest are made up of family unifications, with very strict family sponsorship obligations, and a large number of refugees from the middle east, southeast Asia, etc.

We need and want immigration in Canada - it's a requirement for us to maintain a healthy social safety net with sufficient young and productive workers paying taxes to survive. But we also don't take on all the problems of the world by opening our borders to everyone in need - it's economically and socially impossible. America needs to find a balance they can live with.

Wow, you really have a dim view of South American nations.

It depends on the country. Nicaragua and Honduras for example have a per-capita GDP of less than 10% of ours. Not exactly lands of opportunity. Hell the median per-capita GDP of Latin American countries is only about 22% of ours here.

Is that like trickle down economics, ,just hoping that the illegals will go back to their country if they can't find work?

It depends on the country. Nicaragua and Honduras for example have a per-capita GDP of less than 10% of ours. Not exactly lands of opportunity. Hell the median per-capita GDP of Latin American countries is only about 22% of ours here.

Heh, and COL is on par with that, making it a wash.

Arizona tried just that in SB 1070. I wrote a paper detailing just what each different section of that law did, and roughly half of it was devoted to just what you're calling for. One section after another addressed different categories of employers--people who hire day laborers, corporations, employers of live-in domestics, etc. The law contained very detailed schemes for e-verification, record keeping, filing of reports, etc., and set out a wide range of punishments for employers who violated its requirements. The penalties included permanent loss of business licenses, large fines, and even worse.

And yet this damned liar of a President sued Arizona over the law, and got parts of it struck down in the Supreme Court. Why? Because the Man Who Would Be King does not want this country's immigration laws enforced. President Pinocchio's actions toward Arizona exposed the standard bleat that proposals to prevent illegal immigration are unfair because they pick on poor brown people, while giving businesses a free ride, for what it is--leftist propaganda.

If the kids are born in the us are they not citizens. There parents are illegals but the kids are citizens of the us And only the us. They cant be deported. If the kids are citizens i wouldnt deport both parents.

Anchor babies i think they are calles

The issues are related because the near impossibility of legally immigrating if you are poor encourages illegal immigration.

Illegal immigration is not a felony. No one goes to jail for being in the country illegally, not unless they've done something else too. Should we start jailing people for minor crimes now? We already have more prisoners per capita than anyone else.

perhaps just for the ones who have already walked over the border with the full complicity of the US federal government, and who have established themselves here as de facto Americans with children who are natural born citizens.

But, no, of course we can't absorb the whole third world.

Oh, yes, for sure, the great wealth of illegal immigrants is well known.

I don't feel guilty at all for being born here. However, I do empathize with those that were not so lucky. I guess that's the difference between us on this.

You have mistaken my emotion. I have great compassion for those who struggle, no matter where they live.

I have zero compassion for those who come here illegally, with no concern at all about the difficult situation they chose to put their families in, who demand I eat their choices and take care of them, and then scream about what might happen to their children they personally chose to put in a terrible situation.

Perhaps that's the difference between us. I see reality, and you see something else.

Depends... do they pay taxes and were they good contributing citizens? If so they do massive community service, pay fines and vote Republican. If not deport them that day with the kids and tell the kids that their parents are law breakers that just screwed up their lives...

...and your idea of a "couple of years" equalling 15 years differs from my take on what a couple of years means...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…