• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dems DO NOT Support the Troops

Mikkel said:
I don't think anyone here, or any of the politicians in question have ever compared the troops to nazis, stormtroopers, or terrorists. I don't think they are like that at all.

But if they did act like an oppressive occupying force that robbed Iraqis of their freedoms, would you still be opposed to people calling them those names? Would you still defend them? I don't think we should sacrifice America's standards simply to keep morale high.

Blindly criticizing the military is wrong, but so is blindly supporting it.

Guess you better tell that to Dick Durbin, or how about the democratic poster child shehan..

If they did what you say then they wouldn't be the US military. Those men and woman dying are the ones that set those standards within our country. That allowed you to generate your opinion and express it as you see fit. Yes the military get the benefit of the doubt. The reason is because there job is to get shot at. Until you can give me a incident that spans the entire military then yes they get the support. WWI, WWII...... These are as important in our history as in the worlds history. And we did some pretty hanious things in these actions. But you didn't have our own goverment insulting the president or the troops, or the screaming media bias. Because the bad performed was in the end for the greater good. And nobody was expecting these soldier to be angels, they only wanted them to do what it took to come home alive

Calm2Chaos said:
Guess you better tell that to Dick Durbin, or how about the democratic poster child shehan..

If they did what you say then they wouldn't be the US military. Those men and woman dying are the ones that set those standards within our country. That allowed you to generate your opinion and express it as you see fit. Yes the military get the benefit of the doubt. The reason is because there job is to get shot at. Until you can give me a incident that spans the entire military then yes they get the support. WWI, WWII...... These are as important in our history as in the worlds history. And we did some pretty hanious things in these actions. But you didn't have our own goverment insulting the president or the troops, or the screaming media bias. Because the bad performed was in the end for the greater good. And nobody was expecting these soldier to be angels, they only wanted them to do what it took to come home alive

Well we weren't talking about Shehan or Durbin at all in this thread, so mentioning them before bashing democrats as a whole would have been helpful. I do think that the troops deserve the benefit of the doubt, but simply because they were accepted into the military doesn't mean they are incapable of doing what I mentioned. Abu Ghraib is one example of a fairly large military fiasco that got criticism and deserved it. For every wildcat Cindi Shehan, there's a Lindi England.

I'll have to find it it was actually a John McCain interview on hardball or something along those lines I put it on another forum I'll have to wait to grab it.

Mikkel said:
Well we weren't talking about Shehan or Durbin at all in this thread, so mentioning them before bashing democrats as a whole would have been helpful. I do think that the troops deserve the benefit of the doubt, but simply because they were accepted into the military doesn't mean they are incapable of doing what I mentioned. Abu Ghraib is one example of a fairly large military fiasco that got criticism and deserved it. For every wildcat Cindi Shehan, there's a Lindi England.

Ya the underwear on the head was murderous treatment. I think Abu Ghraib although wrong for basic reasons was blown way out of proportion to make our president and our military look bad. The dems led that march to tarnish the whole for the actions of a part.... You stated that no politicians made those comparisons, i just brought up durbin to show you that they have. And shehan also is notorious for insulting and discrediting the military and she's definetly a dem poster girl. They were just examples. And the comparison between shehan and England falls way short.

It's my opinion that you give those that defend you a bit wider of a birth. They are the ones dodging the bullets and roadside bombs. There young and make a lot of split second life or death decisions. And some are bound to be wrong. When it comes to the military, if a person hasn't been there, specially in combat, i take what they say with a grain of salt. I'll give them the benifit of the doubt, until proven as a whole they are acting out of malice and not duty or neccesity.

Calm2Chaos said:
And I am sorry your support of the troops consists of comparing them to terrorist. I know a lot of guys in the military. And I can tell you for a fact. They don't want nor need that kind of support. If your going to make these comparisons or support those that do then NO you are not supporting the troops no matter how much you might want to delude yourself that you are. Making blanket statements depicting the military is absurd. But the dems have been doing this throughout. I have heard refrences to Nazis, stormtroopers, and terrorist all in describing our military. IMO if your supporting the people that say this crap, your aginst our troops not for them.

When did I compare our troops to terrorists?

I know a lot of guys currently in the military and those who served and are now veterans. Calm, they are on both sides of the fence, just like our country is. You can't make a generalization that they "don't want nor need that kind of support." (Whatever "that kind of support" means.)

I am supporting our troops. Just because I don't support them the way you do does not mean that I don't support them. Call me delusional, but I know I am supportive.

oldreliable, I promise I'll answer your posts. :)

aps said:
When did I compare our troops to terrorists?

I know a lot of guys currently in the military and those who served and are now veterans. Calm, they are on both sides of the fence, just like our country is. You can't make a generalization that they "don't want nor need that kind of support." (Whatever "that kind of support" means.)

I am supporting our troops. Just because I don't support them the way you do does not mean that I don't support them. Call me delusional, but I know I am supportive.

oldreliable, I promise I'll answer your posts. :)

I didn't mean YOU imparticular, I worded that wrong .. sorry

As for the rest I stand by it. I can't see nor have a I ever heard or known a soldier or a vet that thinks that calling our soldiers terrorist, nazis, or stormtroopers was supportive. They may have varying opinions on how this is being handled and they have fought for that right. But i feel most don't see the comparisons being made as being anything but derogatory and demoralizing.. Just my opinion though

KCConservative said:
In what ways, aps?

By having phone sex with them. :shock:

Kidding! I am part of a group of people who sends them care packages and phone cards. I also have gone to Walter Reed to see the injured soldiers, and it is heartbreaking, but I will admit that most of them are very brave and would go back to Iraq in a second. I have NEVER verbalized that I don't support this war. No matter how much I don't support the war or this cause, I support and respect that those serving in Iraq are there because that's what the military is supposed to do. My heart breaks whenever I hear about our soldiers getting killed. I genuinely care about these people.

ANAV said:
While the leader of the DNC has no faith in mighty US Military, the Democrat's 2004 presidential hopeful accuses the troops of acts of terror.

Howard Dean said "The idea that the United States is going to win the war in Iraq is just plain wrong," As many of you know, I'm in the military and I know one hell of a lot more than Dean and we can and will win this war.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/5/200637.shtml

John Kerry accused the troops of terror " ... And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the - of - the historical customs, religious customs." This does sound like the same borderline acts of treason he committed after Vietnam.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/5/162822.shtml

With leaders like this who demoralize the our troops and invigorate the enemy, no wonder the military voted 73% Republican. Lets have some faith for our guys can we?

The first question raised by this thread is whether "supporting the troops" should be the main priority in determining the proper policy regarding Iraq.

aps,

I am part of a group of people who sends them care packages and phone cards.

Outstanding! Just outstanding! Keep it up.

For those who can't actually visit recuperating troops, the phone card idea is great. You have to be a bit careful, though, there were some rip-offs going around early on, though I understand that has all now been fixed.

In addition to the phone cards, an organization that I support is http://www.spiritofamerica.net/ - go there to find several ways to do some good, several ways to support our troops and their efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Go to the web site and you'll notice that all Spirit of America activities are directed toward benefitting Iraqi and Afghani citizens by facilitating and supplementing the efforts and resources of the US military.

These are activities that are truly winning hearts and minds.

ANAV said:
I guess I need to apologize for being an uneducated enlisted piece of Republican scum.

That was totally rude of me to say what I said. I apologize for that, ANAV. :3oops: Please forgive me. I do appreciate your service to and for our country.

ANAV said:
While the leader of the DNC has no faith in mighty US Military, the Democrat's 2004 presidential hopeful accuses the troops of acts of terror.

Howard Dean said "The idea that the United States is going to win the war in Iraq is just plain wrong," As many of you know, I'm in the military and I know one hell of a lot more than Dean and we can and will win this war.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/5/200637.shtml

John Kerry accused the troops of terror " ... And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the - of - the historical customs, religious customs." This does sound like the same borderline acts of treason he committed after Vietnam.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/5/162822.shtml

With leaders like this who demoralize the our troops and invigorate the enemy, no wonder the military voted 73% Republican. Lets have some faith for our guys can we?

How do you win a war unless the other side surrenders? Do you think they will do that?

Iriemon said:
The first question raised by this thread is whether "supporting the troops" should be the main priority in determining the proper policy regarding Iraq.

You can support the troops and not agree with this war at the same time.

alphieb said:
You can support the troops and not agree with this war at the same time.

If you don't support the mission how do you support those that are perfornming the very task you don't support?

Calm2Chaos said:
If you don't support the mission how do you support those that are perfornming the very task you don't support?
The same way that you support your local football team when the coach calls a bonehead play.

What's so hard to understand?

Simon W. Moon said:
The same way that you support your local football team when the coach calls a bonehead play.

What's so hard to understand?

The football team isn't being shot at and blown up, not to mention killing people that may or may not be intending them harm

Calm2Chaos said:

Easy. They HAVE to do what they are told. So they have no say in not fighting in this war if they are sent to Iraq.

A different example is say a couple is pro-life. They abhor abortion. The husband is a federal judge and a case comes before him where he has to uphold a woman's right to choose to have an abortion because that is the law. Does the wife stop supporting her husband? NOPE.

Calm2Chaos said:
The football team isn't being shot at and blown up, not to mention killing people that may or may not be intending them harm
[I'm assuming you realize that I'm already cognizant of this fact. If I'm wrong, please let me know.]

And your point is ...?

aps said:
Easy. They HAVE to do what they are told. So they have no say in not fighting in this war if they are sent to Iraq.

A different example is say a couple is pro-life. They abhor abortion. The husband is a federal judge and a case comes before him where he has to uphold a woman's right to choose to have an abortion because that is the law. Does the wife stop supporting her husband? NOPE.

I'm still having a problem with it but your example was good so I am going to have to put a little more thought into my position

Simon W. Moon said:
[I'm assuming you realize that I'm already cognizant of this fact. If I'm wrong, please let me know.]

And your point is ...?

That one has a definet impact on lives both here and there. One carries far more reprecussions then the other.

To me it seems wrong. I can not see telling a soldier in iraq that I support you but your actions are wrong or immorale. It doesn't sit right with me. When the wars over have and express vehemently all the issues you want. But while at war I think these men and woman deserve nothing less then our total and unwavering support while they are targets in an ongoing conflict or war. Maybe thats just me

Calm2Chaos said:
I'm still having a problem with it but your example was good so I am going to have to put a little more thought into my position

Wow! I'm flattered.

Calm2Chaos said:
I can not see telling a soldier in iraq that I support you but your actions are wrong or immorale.
Recognizing that the invasion of Iraq was a blunder does not imply a judgment that the military personel are behaving immorally.

Here's a dem who obviously doesn't support the troops and is proud to say so.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/...raq/index.html

Dean: U.S. can't win Iraq war
GOP says Democrat leader embraces 'retreat and defeat'

Tuesday, December 6, 2005; Posted: 1:37 p.m. EST (18:37 GMT)

In an interview with WOAI radio in San Antonio Monday, the head of the Democratic Party drew a parallel between efforts to hand over security responsibilities to Iraqis and similar efforts during the Vietnam War to the South Vietnamese

Back
Top Bottom