• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democrats gear up to fight gerrymandering after state House losses

Democrats should have fought a much tougher campaign for House districts, state assemblies, and governorships.

This is where Democrats are losing the long-view battles. We might see this again in Georgia on January 5.

Stop being nice and always taking the "high road" and do whatever it takes to start winning these down-ballot elections.

The Dems are now scrambling to invoke the "fairness" plea now that they've suffered losses in most arenas in this election season.

situation.

So are you admitting that districts are unfairly drawn to benefit one party?

The voters should choose their Representatives, not the other way around.

Democrats should have fought a much tougher campaign for House districts, state assemblies, and governorships.

This is where Democrats are losing the long-view battles. We might see this again in Georgia on January 5.

Stop being nice and always taking the "high road" and do whatever it takes to start winning these down-ballot elections.
Doug Jones had a good point of democrats not supporting districts, only candidates.

I expect this fight will be lost in the short term. Perhaps if the dems make gains in 2022, a federal law can be looked at.
that will most likely ONLY happen if Trump actually manages to remain president. If Joe and Blow are installed into the white house, the GOP most likely will increase seats in both houses

They should just get a math nerd and a computer nerd and lock them in a room and tell them to generate districts as close to squares as possible.

that will most likely ONLY happen if Trump actually manages to remain president. If Joe and Blow are installed into the white house, the GOP most likely will increase seats in both houses
So basically you are saying an increase in GOP seats will happen.

Stacy Abrams is all over it already. She and others she worked with are really how Georgia may flip. Just relentlessly finding and registering new voters and getting them to the polls. If they can keep the energy up they might pull it off. Which would be so sweet.

And as much as I talk smack I really hope they don't go all tit for tat if we get the senate. That would be when to take the high road.

We gotta do something or we're gonna tear ourselves apart.

The Dems are now scrambling to invoke the "fairness" plea now that they've suffered losses in most arenas in this election season.

NOW! Now, they want to be fair. Just like now they want republicans to accept the outcome of the election. I say do it just like they did. Joe you are headed toward impeachment in 2023.

They should just get a math nerd and a computer nerd and lock them in a room and tell them to generate districts as close to squares as possible.
Exactly. I approve of all attempts to de-politicize things that shouldn't be politicized.

Like I would be down with packing the courts, but only if it was designed to remove them as political footballs AND was balanced with conservative justices to make the initial playing field as fair as possible.

Then if it moves one way or the other it will take time and more likely reflect the will of the people.

NOW! Now, they want to be fair. Just like now they want republicans to accept the outcome of the election. I say do it just like they did. Joe you are headed toward impeachment in 2023.
I would advise considering how much people might enjoy the quiet and lack of grade school histrionics coming in ever increasing absurdity day after day, even as a pandemic ravages the country.

And that folks might be over the belligerance of McConnell. He almost certainly ****ed some of his partys 'voters with his blocking of a second stimulous. And they may take it out on their senators. Wouldn't take many.

And then there's the virus. We'll see how well biden's people handle it, but a steady and focused hand may be so refreshing after the chaos of trump's approach that y'all could lose voters completely.

They could still **** it up, don't get me wrong.

I would be very impressed if that could be pulled off.

A simpler algorithm would be to find the geographical center of the state and just make (sort of) triangles

That's been deemed racist. Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act and Thornburg v. Gingles demands majority-minority districts be created to increase the number of minority Congressmen. It has been decided that even if the zoning is fair and impartial an undesirable outcome of not enough minority elected politicians is enough to be considered unconstitutional. Your proposal would decrease Democrat representation as well as minority representation in the House. The Congressional Black Caucus as well as other groups would lose much of their power under such a plan.

Last edited:
I’d just take districting out of the hands of the parties, independent districting committees.

So basically you are saying an increase in GOP seats will happen.

The mid-term elections after a presidential vote generally results in 25-30 seats lost by the party that took the White House. If that continues to hold true the Republican party will likely take a majority of the House in 2022.

The mid-term elections after a presidential vote generally results in 25-30 seats lost by the party that took the White House. If that continues to hold true the Republican party will likely take a majority of the House in 2022.
Unlikely if voter turnout keeps as high as it has this year.

Back
Top Bottom