• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democratic Senator to vote for Alito confirmation

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Senator Ben Nelson (D) from Nebraska has said he will vote for Judge Alito for confirmation for the SCOTUS............The dems are crumbling.......

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&storyID=nN17382485

US Supreme Court
Wednesday 18 January 2006, 7:22pm EST

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Ben Nelson of Nebraska, a moderate voice in the U.S. Congress, on Tuesday became the first Senate Democrat to announce his support for conservative Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, who is expected to be confirmed later this month by the full Republican-led Senate.

"I have decided to vote in favor of Judge Samuel Alito," Nelson said in a statement issued by his office.

"I
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Senator Ben Nelson (D) from Nebraska has said he will vote for Judge Alito for confirmation for the SCOTUS............The dems are crumbling.......
They're crumbling because a moderate senator said he'd vote against the majority of his party? God forbid we elect politicians who are willing to vote their conscience rather than adhering to party lines, right?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
They're crumbling because a moderate senator said he'd vote against the majority of his party? God forbid we elect politicians who are willing to vote their conscience rather than adhering to party lines, right?
Nelson is a good man from a conservative state...........there will be about 10 dems joining him
 

Connecticutter

Active member
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
432
Reaction score
0
Location
New Haven, CT
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Navy Pride said:
Nelson is a good man from a conservative state...........there will be about 10 dems joining him
Yep - but there the 22 who voted against Roberts would even consider voting for Alito. At this point I feel that they don't even look at the candidates, they just reflexively condemn and vote nay.

It will be interesting to see if any republicans vote against him, and which democrats vote for him. My guess is that we will see something very close to the Roberts vote.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Connecticutter said:
Yep - but there the 22 who voted against Roberts would even consider voting for Alito. At this point I feel that they don't even look at the candidates, they just reflexively condemn and vote nay.

It will be interesting to see if any republicans vote against him, and which democrats vote for him. My guess is that we will see something very close to the Roberts vote.
The 22 that voted against Roberts will do so again.......There is no candidate that the president could nominate that they would vote for........................There is a possibility two Republicans may not vote for him.........Snow and Chaffee.............I thik Alito will get about 65 votes........
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
The 22 that voted against Roberts will do so again.......There is no candidate that the president could nominate that they would vote for........................There is a possibility two Republicans may not vote for him.........Snow and Chaffee.............I thik Alito will get about 65 votes........
I doubt any Republicans will vote against him, but the 65 vote estimate sounds about right.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
After reviewing his impressive resume and seeing the exemplary way he handled himself during the hearing, Judge Alito will sail through confirmation, with or without democratic help.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
I doubt any Republicans will vote against him, but the 65 vote estimate sounds about right.
Just curious, you sound like a fair minded person although I disagree with you on most issues...........would you vote against him?
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Just curious, you sound like a fair minded person although I disagree with you on most issues...........would you vote against him?
No, I'd vote to confirm him. He's not who I'd nominate, but I think the president deserves to be allowed to choose any nominee he wants as long as that nominee is qualified and upstanding.

Personally I was hoping for Janice Rogers Brown; a true strict constructionist.
 

Connecticutter

Active member
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
432
Reaction score
0
Location
New Haven, CT
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Navy Pride said:
The 22 that voted against Roberts will do so again.......There is no candidate that the president could nominate that they would vote for........................There is a possibility two Republicans may not vote for him.........Snow and Chaffee.............I thik Alito will get about 65 votes........
I agree. If anything - I think that you underestimate the number of votes that he will get.
 

americanwoman

dangerously addictive
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
26,309
Reaction score
19,493
Location
Somewhere over the rainbow
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Independent
Navy Pride said:
Nelson is a good man from a conservative state...........there will be about 10 dems joining him

Yes he is a good guy! I'm from Nebraska and it's funny because it's so conservative here that every one is always b!tching about him being too democratic. Maybe this will shut them up.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
No, I'd vote to confirm him. He's not who I'd nominate, but I think the president deserves to be allowed to choose any nominee he wants as long as that nominee is qualified and upstanding.

Personally I was hoping for Janice Rogers Brown; a true strict constructionist.
Thank you for your honesty..I was pulling for Janis Rogers Brown too.....
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
americanwoman said:
Yes he is a good guy! I'm from Nebraska and it's funny because it's so conservative here that every one is always b!tching about him being too democratic. Maybe this will shut them up.
Its a real credit to him as a democrat he can get elected from a conservative state like Nebraska...
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Connecticutter said:
I agree. If anything - I think that you underestimate the number of votes that he will get.
I hope your right....we shall see......
 
Top Bottom