• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Gary Peters becomes first sitting senator to share his family's abortion experience

briar rose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Senator Gary Peters has shared his family’s experience with abortion amid what he says is “a pivotal moment for reproductive freedom” in the US. (Getty Images)
Gary Peters, a Democratic senator from Michigan, has opened up for the first time about his family's painful experience with abortion.
In an Elle interview published on Monday, Mr Peters explained that his first wife, Heidi, underwent an abortion in the late 1980s that saved her life. At the time, Heidi was four months pregnant with the couple's second child, a baby they both wanted. But during Heidi's second trimester, her water broke, leaving the fetus without amniotic fluid.
The couple was told to wait at home for a miscarriage to naturally occur, but after that didn't happen, their doctor recommended an abortion because the fetus had no chance of survival. However, the Detroit hospital had a policy banning abortions, so Mr Peters and Heidi were told again to wait for a miscarriage.
As they waited, Heidi's health deteriorated. When they returned to the hospital on the third day, the doctor said she could lose her uterus if she wasn't able to have an abortion, and she could die if she became septic from the uterine infection. Even so, the hospital board refused the doctor's appeal for an exception to the anti-abortion policy. The doctor recommended the couple find another physician to do the procedure quickly, and Heidi was rushed into an emergency abortion that "saved her uterus and possibly her life," according to Elle.

In a statement to the magazine, Heidi said the experience was "painful and traumatic". She added, "If it weren't for urgent and critical medical care, I could have lost my life."
In telling his story, Mr Peters has become the first sitting senator in US history to publicly share a personal experience with abortion. He told Elle he decided to go public now because "it's important for folks to understand that these things happen to folks every day."
He continued, "I've always considered myself pro-choice and believe women should be able to make these decisions themselves, but when you live it in real life, you realize the significant impact it can have on a family."
The timing couldn't have been more appropriate. Confirmation hearings began Monday for President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, who opposes abortion. As a law professor, Ms Barrett was among hundreds who signed an anti-abortion letter calling for an end "to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade," the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.
Mr Peters told Elle that he will not vote to confirm Ms Barrett. He said, "The new Supreme Court nominee could make a decision that will have major ramifications for reproductive health for women for decades to come. This is a pivotal moment for reproductive freedom."
Mr Peters is running a tight re-election campaign against John James, a Republican who openly opposes abortion and called it a form of "genocide."

This is the problem when religion gets involved in politics. Pro-Lifer's are more worried about the right of an unborn baby no matter what the effects it may have on the mother's health or her family if she dies because she can't have an abortion.

The timing couldn't have been more appropriate. Confirmation hearings began Monday for President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, who opposes abortion. As a law professor, Ms Barrett was among hundreds who signed an anti-abortion letter calling for an end "to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade," the 1973 decision that legalized abortion. Mr Peters told Elle that he will not vote to confirm Ms Barrett.

Good. I hope a majority of Senators on the Judiciary Committee will vote against Barrett's confirmation as well, so she will not be able to take the late and highly-respected Justice Ginsburg's seat. IMO Barrett doesn't deserve that honor.

However, the Detroit hospital had a policy banning abortions, so Mr Peters and Heidi were told again to wait for a miscarriage.
As they waited, Heidi's health deteriorated. When they returned to the hospital on the third day, the doctor said she could lose her uterus if she wasn't able to have an abortion, and she could die if she became septic from the uterine infection. Even so, the hospital board refused the doctor's appeal for an exception to the anti-abortion policy.

A nice hefty law suit against that hospital should have been filed. A holes. :mad:

^This is why abortion should always be between a woman and her doctor and never have state involvement.
100%

It shows how myopic and even malicious some pro-life supporters are. To value the unborn over the well-being of the woman, to desire to force strangers to take risks with their lives...and every single pregnancy risks a woman's life...is as unChristian or as misogynistic as you can get.

Senator Gary Peters has shared his family’s experience with abortion amid what he says is “a pivotal moment for reproductive freedom” in the US. (Getty Images)
Gary Peters, a Democratic senator from Michigan, has opened up for the first time about his family's painful experience with abortion.
In an Elle interview published on Monday, Mr Peters explained that his first wife, Heidi, underwent an abortion in the late 1980s that saved her life. At the time, Heidi was four months pregnant with the couple's second child, a baby they both wanted. But during Heidi's second trimester, her water broke, leaving the fetus without amniotic fluid.
The couple was told to wait at home for a miscarriage to naturally occur, but after that didn't happen, their doctor recommended an abortion because the fetus had no chance of survival. However, the Detroit hospital had a policy banning abortions, so Mr Peters and Heidi were told again to wait for a miscarriage.
As they waited, Heidi's health deteriorated. When they returned to the hospital on the third day, the doctor said she could lose her uterus if she wasn't able to have an abortion, and she could die if she became septic from the uterine infection. Even so, the hospital board refused the doctor's appeal for an exception to the anti-abortion policy. The doctor recommended the couple find another physician to do the procedure quickly, and Heidi was rushed into an emergency abortion that "saved her uterus and possibly her life," according to Elle.

In a statement to the magazine, Heidi said the experience was "painful and traumatic". She added, "If it weren't for urgent and critical medical care, I could have lost my life."
In telling his story, Mr Peters has become the first sitting senator in US history to publicly share a personal experience with abortion. He told Elle he decided to go public now because "it's important for folks to understand that these things happen to folks every day."
He continued, "I've always considered myself pro-choice and believe women should be able to make these decisions themselves, but when you live it in real life, you realize the significant impact it can have on a family."
The timing couldn't have been more appropriate. Confirmation hearings began Monday for President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, who opposes abortion. As a law professor, Ms Barrett was among hundreds who signed an anti-abortion letter calling for an end "to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade," the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.
Mr Peters told Elle that he will not vote to confirm Ms Barrett. He said, "The new Supreme Court nominee could make a decision that will have major ramifications for reproductive health for women for decades to come. This is a pivotal moment for reproductive freedom."
Mr Peters is running a tight re-election campaign against John James, a Republican who openly opposes abortion and called it a form of "genocide."

This is the problem when religion gets involved in politics. Pro-Lifer's are more worried about the right of an unborn baby no matter what the effects it may have on the mother's health or her family if she dies because she can't have an abortion.

ACB has only opposed late term abortions.

Good. I hope a majority of Senators on the Judiciary Committee will vote against Barrett's confirmation as well, so she will not be able to take the late and highly-respected Justice Ginsburg's seat. IMO Barrett doesn't deserve that honor.
Darth Bader Ginsburg was an evil feminazi. No self respecting woman would respect her.

Darth Bader Ginsburg was an evil feminazi. No self respecting woman would respect her.
Amy Barrett admired her. She said so under oath.

Actually, the church SHOULD step in for prayer and counselling.
Why wouldnt they do so no matter what their decision?

That was a wanted pregnancy...and here you are demanding it's condemnation. That was a family in pain...and God would have comforted them no matter what and I'm sure He did.

You are about as unChristian as can be imagined (but I have seen a few moreso).

Why wouldnt they do so no matter what their decision?

That was a wanted pregnancy...and here you are demanding it's condemnation. That was a family in pain...and God would have comforted them no matter what and I'm sure He did.

You are about as unChristian as can be imagined (but I have seen a few moreso).
Excuse me? I am referring to those who wantonly kill their babies as a matter of convenience. About 98% of them at last count.

Excuse me? I am referring to those who wantonly kill their babies as a matter of convenience. About 98% of them at last count.
Really? This is about a family's situation and their pain and danger. And they chose abortion and you wrote that the remedy would have been prayers and counselling.

Which in ANY abortion should never override what a Dr and patient decide. Do you agree?

Really? This is about a family's situation and their pain and danger. And they chose abortion and you wrote that the remedy would have been prayers and counselling.

Which in ANY abortion should never override what a Dr and patient decide. Do you agree?
No, I don't. Abortion is wrong in so many ways. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Oh for certain Christ will forgive the woman and doctor. But it should not happen in the first place. Every child, regardless of the circumstances, is a precious gift.

No, I don't. Abortion is wrong in so many ways. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Oh for certain Christ will forgive the woman and doctor. But it should not happen in the first place. Every child, regardless of the circumstances, is a precious gift.
And the law that you seem to approve of almost cost this woman her life and created all that much more grief and stress for a family.

This is exactly why strangers and the govt should have zero say in a woman's right to choose and nor to interfere with her decisions with her Dr.

Everyone does not consider a kid a gift...I used BC faithfully all my life because I didnt want one. Why should your opinion be forced on others?

Well done for one of your first posts, Impressed.
Welcome aboard, just make sure you buckle up.

And the law that you seem to approve of almost cost this woman her life and created all that much more grief and stress for a family.

This is exactly why strangers and the govt should have zero say in a woman's right to choose and nor to interfere with her decisions with her Dr.

Everyone does not consider a kid a gift...I used BC faithfully all my life because I didnt want one. Why should your opinion be forced on others?
It does not matter what people consider. The Truth is the Truth, and you cannot dispute God.

It does not matter what people consider. The Truth is the Truth, and you cannot dispute God.
And when you can prove there is a god that produced any 'truth', let us know.

Otherwise, we are under no obligation to conform to your myth.

If I told you the Flying Spaghetti Monster said to do something...would you? If not, why not?

I am in favor of free abortion on demand at any stage of pregnancy. I like the eugenic benefits of abortion. Most females who have abortion have little or nothing of value to contribute to the gene pool. I worry about a Vassar student who aborts the result of an encounter with a Rhodes Scholar. Many middle class couples would love to adopt her baby. Fortunately, women like that rarely have abortions. If they are sexually active they use birth control methods.

A single free abortion can save a small fortune in crimes not committed, the cost to our criminal justice and welfare systems, and the cost of trying to educate someone who cannot be educated, and who violently interferes with the the education of those who want to learn.

Neither the Bible nor the Constitution mention abortion. The Torah specifies capital punishment for a large number of offenses, including working on the Sabbath. No modern civilization could operate if everyone in it obeyed the Forth Commandment.

Last edited:
And when you can prove there is a god that produced any 'truth', let us know.

Otherwise, we are under no obligation to conform to your myth.

If I told you the Flying Spaghetti Monster said to do something...would you? If not, why not?
Only difference is there is empirical, scientific, and historical proof that God exists,

Only difference is there is empirical, scientific, and historical proof that God exists,
No it doesnt.

Lying is a sin, please repent and save your soul.

Or...post the proof. Post the scientific proof. That Jesus was a 'man' we know. So skip that.

Neither the Bible nor the Constitution mention abortion. The Torah specifies capital punishment for a large number of offenses, including working on the Sabbath. No modern civilization could operate if everyone in it obeyed the Forth Commandment.

So you would support infanticide to the age of three? Hitler would be proud of you.

What does infanticide to the age of three have to do with my previous comment.

Back
Top Bottom