• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Delta Variant

Not to sound too alarming, but we may be facing another breed of a virus monster between July and the Fall. I only hope that our population takes this seriously enough to continue practicing safe distancing and masks if around a crowd. Vaccines may not be enough to protect folks from the Delta Variant. Good luck to all.

The Delta variant accounts for only about 6 percent of cases in the United States, according to genomic sequencing studies. But that could change rapidly, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top public health adviser to President Biden, warned during a Tuesday briefing of the White House pandemic response team.

The emergence of the Delta variant presents a new challenge because, as University of Edinburgh immunologist Eleanor Riley told the Financial Times, vaccines provide “somewhat less protection against infection with the Delta variant.” Even fully vaccinated people appear to develop fewer neutralizing antibodies against the Delta strain than for other variants.

Fauci also said in Tuesday’s briefing that the new variant may be “associated with increased disease severity” compared with the coronavirus wild type.
There isn't a teacher around that is not worried that something might go sideways this summer. In addition to the variant impacting teens, I saw this article the other day that made me clench as well...
"That’s a relatively small number of people compared with the millions in the region who have been fully immunized. The Bay Area has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country, led by Marin and San Francisco counties, where 71% and 64% percent of people are fully vaccinated, respectively. But pockets of undervaccination and dangerous new variants are both factors that could lead to a resurgence of COVID-19 even in well-protected areas."

Not to sound too alarming, but we may be facing another breed of a virus monster between July and the Fall. I only hope that our population takes this seriously enough to continue practicing safe distancing and masks if around a crowd. Vaccines may not be enough to protect folks from the Delta Variant. Good luck to all.

The Delta variant accounts for only about 6 percent of cases in the United States, according to genomic sequencing studies. But that could change rapidly, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top public health adviser to President Biden, warned during a Tuesday briefing of the White House pandemic response team.

The emergence of the Delta variant presents a new challenge because, as University of Edinburgh immunologist Eleanor Riley told the Financial Times, vaccines provide “somewhat less protection against infection with the Delta variant.” Even fully vaccinated people appear to develop fewer neutralizing antibodies against the Delta strain than for other variants.

Fauci also said in Tuesday’s briefing that the new variant may be “associated with increased disease severity” compared with the coronavirus wild type.
It's pretty much a guarantee that this variant, another variant or an entirely new pandemic will spread before the end of the year. It has t happen or else people will get too used to thinking for themselves and doing things on their own again. If that happens then we're doomed as a global people. Independence is the one thing that MUST be stopped at any cost if we are ever to have a peaceful, well spoken, compassionate government to help make sure that we don't stray from the path of all that's holy (secularly speaking, of course). The most dangerous thing on the planet is a man that believes he has the right to do as he deems most beneficial for himself, his family and his community.

It's pretty much a guarantee that this variant, another variant or an entirely new pandemic will spread before the end of the year. It has t happen or else people will get too used to thinking for themselves and doing things on their own again. If that happens then we're doomed as a global people. Independence is the one thing that MUST be stopped at any cost if we are ever to have a peaceful, well spoken, compassionate government to help make sure that we don't stray from the path of all that's holy (secularly speaking, of course). The most dangerous thing on the planet is a man that believes he has the right to do as he deems most beneficial for himself, his family and his community.
It may come to the point that unless you are vaccinated you are going to be isolated from the public nearly completely.

Not to sound too alarming, but we may be facing another breed of a virus monster between July and the Fall. I only hope that our population takes this seriously enough to continue practicing safe distancing and masks if around a crowd. Vaccines may not be enough to protect folks from the Delta Variant. Good luck to all...

I am not concerned. In my case recent events have shown (as I always suspected) that I am immune to coronaviruses.

As posted elsewhere, I have never caught a cold or the Flu since I was nine years old, regardless of levels of exposure. I have been exposed to Covid-19 four times and tested negative all four times.

I took the one-shot Vaccine, with absolutely NO negative reactions. Even the shot locale itself indicated no trauma. IMO most "healthy" Americans are already resistant to various strains of Flu, and will simply have a normal body reaction as their immune systems fights off the infection.

I am of the opinion that the most likely people at-risk of a new strain are those who are already at high risk for ANY form of Flu, or other diseases. The very old with multiple pre-existing co-morbidities, and the Obese whose condition also creates multiple pre-existing co-morbidities.

IMO those are the people who need to take the greatest precautions. Those of us who frequently come into contact with them should also be cautious. But I don't want to see any more "over-reactions."

Our economy, and perhaps our very society, would be the thing most at-risk by more scaremongering.

Last edited:
Isn't this Pres Biden's first public acknowledgment of the Delta Variant in the US? With the president making a statement about it, this might encourage more people to get the shot(s).

“The new variant will leave unvaccinated people even more vulnerable than they are,” Mr. Biden said, adding that he doesn’t think the spread of the variant will lead to lockdowns since much of the country will be vaccinated.

“The Delta variant can cause more people to die in areas where people have not been vaccinated,” he said.

Variants can also mutate the other way; to a more benign form like seasonal flu (which also mutates readily). Also there are several variants of concern in circulation right now.
That’s actually the usual case from what I’ve read. Most mutations are bad for the organism.

I don't really care what Dr Fauci says anymore. He is just afraid of his 15 minutes of fame soon coming to an end.. What I am hearing from the non TV experts is that at least the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines offer 60 to 70% protection from the variants. That is why we hear about some recovered covid patients getting covid again. They are getting hit the second time with a variant. The real warning should go to those who are still hesitating to get vaccinated.

I don't really care what Dr Fauci says anymore. He is just afraid of his 15 minutes of fame soon coming to an end.. What I am hearing from the non TV experts is that at least the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines offer 60 to 70% protection from the variants. That is why we hear about some recovered covid patients getting covid again. They are getting hit the second time with a variant. The real warning should go to those who are still hesitating to get vaccinated.
Shots are extremely important. Practicing social distancing is as well. I believe that during late last year it had been decided by experts that we may not get a good handle on Covid-19 and its related viruses until 2023. Until scientists fully understand exactly what we're dealing with, the best precautions to take are shots and social distancing until all variants are under control.

Shots are extremely important. Practicing social distancing is as well. I believe that during late last year it had been decided by experts that we may not get a good handle on Covid-19 and its related viruses until 2023. Until scientists fully understand exactly what we're dealing with, the best precautions to take are shots and social distancing until all variants are under control.

Decided by experts? Such as Dr fauci?

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services issued a news release Wednesday saying that the state "is experiencing a rise in individuals contracting the Delta variant," while urging locals to get vaccinated.

"The CDC estimates delta accounts for about 10% of new cases [in Kansas]," Amanda Cackler, director of quality and safety at the University of Kansas Health System told Kansas City, Missouri, ABC affiliate KMBC. "We have had and continue to have deaths of patients who have had COVID-19. Our most recent one was on the 12th of June."

If you really want to be fair and think about this clearly, DJIS, Dr Fauci has been famous for many, many years. He does not need 15 minutes more of fame. He was extremely famous as a young man when he was researching AIDS, although you may not have been aware of him then. I am not sure why you do not like him or trust him. I do. Please do not confuse his motives, however. It is better to understand a situation and to analyze it clearly. Whatever Dr Fauci's flaws are, and I am sure he has some since he is human, he does not need publicity for himself. He might seek to publicize matters of public health for the good of the country. He always has.

It may come to the point that unless you are vaccinated you are going to be isolated from the public nearly completely.
I would have no issue with that if a relatively small number of potentially dangerous idiots are kept away from the larger population. I, like millions of others, care about my health, that of those around me and of humanity in general. I have no time and no sympathy for those self-centred people who don't give a damn about anything or anyone but themselves.

As the brouhaha over the actual source of the first Covid-19 virus infection in man [lab vs. foodstuff] continues, we can be far more certain of the origin of the Delta variant now spreading. It occurred, in all probability, in a human being who was not vaccinated against the virus. That person contracted the virus, became sick, the virus mutated within him/her and then was spread by that person to others. Each unvaccinated person who has not yet contracted the disease can be considered as a petri dish waiting to be inoculated.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Fauci was one of several experts. The same Fauci that (S/I/T) Trump picked to be on the Coronavirus task force. You know, the guy who claims that he hires/picks only the best.

Initially, I liked and respected Dr Fauci in the beginning. Eventually I became under the impression that he was just enjoying the limelight and did not want his 15 minutes of fame to end. Ultimately the last straw was his poo pooing the suggestion that the virus escaped from the lab in Wuhan, a scenario that is now more plausible then the wet market scenario.

If you really want to be fair and think about this clearly, DJIS, Dr Fauci has been famous for many, many years. He does not need 15 minutes more of fame. He was extremely famous as a young man when he was researching AIDS, although you may not have been aware of him then. I am not sure why you do not like him or trust him. I do. Please do not confuse his motives, however. It is better to understand a situation and to analyze it clearly. Whatever Dr Fauci's flaws are, and I am sure he has some since he is human, he does not need publicity for himself. He might seek to publicize matters of public health for the good of the country. He always has.

To be fair, while Dr Fauci in those years enjoyed fame in the medical science field, he was not famous to rank and file Americans. I am 67 and had never heard of him until the Covid pandemic. I have no issues with him not being right on every instance in this pandemic, However he could have been more direct and honest in regards to the Leaked from a Wuhan lab" theory.

Ultimately the last straw was his poo pooing the suggestion that the virus escaped from the lab in Wuhan, a scenario that is now more plausible then the wet market scenario.
Fauci has recently stated that he's open to an investigation into the Wuhan Lab.

Yes, the world's leading expert in virology and immunology. Who else are you going to listen to for expert medical advice; Hannity?

I'll ignore your sarcasm. I listen to whatever advice is offered from from the medical professionals involved in research and treating those with Covid. I am not foolish enough to think Fauci is the only brilliant source.

Personally, you shouldn't worry, you're vaccinated. Generally speaking, some of our states have removed all precautions and they have really low vaccination rates.
So we have some areas with maybe 40% vaccinated, and out of those 20% will get Covid. If you do the math, these places will have spikes, will over run their hospitals, and will enable more variants of which we hope don't follow the Delta line and our vaccine becomes less effective.

But personally, don't worry about it if you won't be affected by it. Either through your job, or family, or friends. I am concerned because not enough people in my state are getting the vaccine, and my state has no precautions. As a matter of fact, they are preventing businesses, and cities from putting precautions in place. I don't see it going anywhere good after watching what happened in India, and their denial.

giphy.gif

Initially, I liked and respected Dr Fauci in the beginning. Eventually I became under the impression that he was just enjoying the limelight and did not want his 15 minutes of fame to end. Ultimately the last straw was his poo pooing the suggestion that the virus escaped from the lab in Wuhan, a scenario that is now more plausible then the wet market scenario.

^ This is a very common reaction when people project their own lack of understanding of a topic. DJIS thinks that he knows as much as one of the leading health experts in the world, Dr. Anthony Fauci. DJIS is only off by 600,000 people, none of whose lives he cares about.

Back
Top Bottom