• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DeLays fall from power= Abramoff

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Good!

Looks like many in his own Republican party don't want the weasle back, too much of a liability now. Good to see the SOB go down like his close buddy Abramoff. Looks like DeLay surrounded himself with a bunch of crooks and thieves disguised as politicians and now the time has come for Delay to answer for his gall and audacity that has marked his career as his trademark.

It's going to be good to see that smirk wiped off of DeLays face when he is indicted and hopefully convicted.

Remember the Alamo!

Viva Texas!







http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/06/congress.delay.reut/index.html

DeLay's return to power faces uphill battle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Rep. Tom DeLay's bid to return as majority leader of the House of Representatives was in mounting jeopardy on Thursday as fellow Republicans feared his ties with convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff have made the Texan too much of an election-year liability.

"I would not support him for majority leader," Rep. Ray LaHood told Reuters in a telephone interview from his central Illinois district.

LaHood, a conservative Republican with close ties to House Speaker Dennis Hastert, also from Illinois, added that elections for a new majority leader ought to be held when the House reconvenes on January 31.

"We need to clean up our House here very quickly or a year from now we'll be the minority party," said LaHood, initially elected to Congress in 1994 when his party won control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

DeLay's legal problems deepened this week when his self-described close friend Abramoff pleaded guilty to fraud charges in Washington and Florida. An ex-aide to DeLay who later worked with Abramoff also has pleaded guilty to felony charges...
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
[Moderator Mode]

Moved to the more appropriate forum...

[/Moderator Mode]
 

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Delay steping down?

Won't seek leadership post?

Ah, too bad Tom. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy tho.

Thus another member of the "Culture of Corruption" bites the dust!

Thank God!
 

BWG

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
4,373
Reaction score
1,602
Location
South Coast
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is this just the first step of DeLay's fading away from being a force in conservativeland? Pseudo-friends don't tend to stick with you through thick and thin. I think the ol' what have you done for me lately applies here. Although it's still a few months til November, it's not looking good for the 'Bugman' for re-election back in his home district.

Damn, I hate it when that happens. ;)
 
H

hipsterdufus

BWG said:
Is this just the first step of DeLay's fading away from being a force in conservativeland? Pseudo-friends don't tend to stick with you through thick and thin. I think the ol' what have you done for me lately applies here. Although it's still a few months til November, it's not looking good for the 'Bugman' for re-election back in his home district.

Damn, I hate it when that happens. ;)
I wonder if the news of Duke Cunningham wearing a wire had anything to do with DeLay stepping down.

I am glad that the institutions of this country are still robust enough to purge the government of slimeballs like DeLay.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
Here is one of Tom Delays quotes from the Clinton sex scandal era...

"This nation sits at a crossroads. One direction points to the higher road of the rule of law.... The other road is the path of least resistance" in which "we pitch the law completely overboard when the mood fits us...[and] close our eyes to the potential lawbreaking...and tear an unfixable hole in our legal system."
 

Axismaster

Active member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
296
Reaction score
1
Location
Michigan
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
scottyz said:
Here is one of Tom Delays quotes from the Clinton sex scandal era...

"This nation sits at a crossroads. One direction points to the higher road of the rule of law.... The other road is the path of least resistance" in which "we pitch the law completely overboard when the mood fits us...[and] close our eyes to the potential lawbreaking...and tear an unfixable hole in our legal system."
Typical hypocrite, that Delay.
 

Conflict

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
745
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
hipsterdufus said:
I wonder if the news of Duke Cunningham wearing a wire had anything to do with DeLay stepping down.

I am glad that the institutions of this country are still robust enough to purge the government of slimeballs like DeLay.

And I think that there is more to come as far as this is concerned. ;)
 

steen

Lie Detector
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
0
Location
Upper Midwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
It is definitely house-cleanign time <happydance>
 
Top Bottom