• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Define Conservatism

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Define one who is.

Conservatism is the ideology of regression, that things were better x years ago and certain characteristics of time x should be emulated.

Define one who is.

Conservatives will tend to go by the moto that things work quite well, innovation can improve society and that any change can also have grave and unforeseen consequences.
So the conservative mind will embrace innovation, where the impact has been well thought through, benefits and costs carefully analysed as well as published and the benefits are large in order to make up for the possible damage that will probably come hand in hand with the good.

Conservatism (or conservativism) is any political philosophy that favors tradition (in the sense of various religious, cultural, or nationally-defined beliefs and customs) in the face of external forces for change, and is critical of proposals for radical social change.

Since this was asked in the 2016 Election forum, I'm going to supposed you want American modern Conservatism.

In a broad sense a belief in maintaining cultural tradition intermixed with a belief in limited government, bound by a strict interpretation of the Constitution, that is primarily focused upon protecting it's citizens life, liberty, and property.

Naturally, this is a broad notion and one that, at times, can come in conflict with itself. Thus you have further breakdowns of Conservatism based on which aspects are given more weight and which are given less. This gives birth to the likes of the Religious Right/social conservatives, paleoconservatives, neoconservatives, libertarians, etc.

Conserving what is working and embracing what is realistically possible.

inclined to pursue the former status quo

My version of conservatism is pretty simple

1. Streamline government agencies. Keep what we actually need and reduce where we can through a system like BRAC.

2. Better financial accountability of every government agency and it's use of taxpayer money.

3. Reduce the power of the president...... (war powers act)

4. Make it illegal for the congress & senate to go on break without a approved budget each year.

5. Limit the powers of government agencies like the BLM and the EPA. No taking land, or shutting down farms and businesses without a fair hearing before a judge.

6. Churches that preach politics should lose their tax exemptions.

7. A national policy on 2nd amendment laws, instead of states being able to cherry pick.

8. A strong military.

Abraham Lincoln defined conservatism as "the old tried and true."

But he knew enough to not allow that to be a thorough ideology.

I like the idea of thinking through issues individually as best I can, rather than sticking to a party line or other ideology.

I'm very worried about the Unites States right now. More than in a long time. Mainly because of polarized ideologies.

There is RINO conservatism, of which I am a card carrying member, and then there is far right wing nut job conservatism. Conservatism will be defined based on the poster's member status.

Back
Top Bottom