• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Declassified Transcripts of Flynn-Kislyak Calls Released (1 Viewer)

The reason it is referred to as :sanctions" rather than accurately "expulsions" is because it sounds better: The theory was that Flynn was conspiring with Russia and the removal of sanctions and all the economic hardship to the oligarchs as payback is more convincing than kicking out a bunch of diplomats. So politically, misnaming is beneficial.

None of this matters with respect to the charges Flynn pleaded guilty to. Flynn lied to Pence, specifically about the expulsions. Flynn then lied to the FBI, specifically about the expulsions.

But of course, the previous question still stands- What is so suspicious about Flynn talking about expulsions?

That's not what prompted the FBI to interview Flynn.

What prompted the FBI to interview Flynn was the fact that Flynn lied to Pence about his conversations with Kislyak.

The problem with your argument is that your point doesn't matter. There's nothing in any of the underlying material our discussion is based on that indicates Flynn may have mistakenly conflated the two.

There's nothing in any of the underlying material our discussion is based on that indicates Flynn may have mistakenly conflated the two.

Please accurately characterize my argument.

1. The mere act of engaging in diplomacy without authorization was wrong on Flynn's part.

2. Further, it's not just the mere discussion of the expulsions that matters with respect to U.S. national interests. It's the fact that Flynn made it clear to Kislyak that the incoming administration would be more concerned about other issues and that retaliating against the U.S. would impede the incoming administration's ability to work with Russia on other issues. This had the effect of mitigating the punishing impact of the Obama administration's sanctions.

It flat-out doesn't matter if Flynn didn't think it was wrong to make false statements to the FBI. The knowledge that making false statements to the government is a crime isn't an element of the crime.

This potential excuse might make you feel better about Flynn personally, but it doesn't change anything we are discussing.

It flat-out doesn't matter if Flynn didn't think it was wrong to make false statements to the FBI. The knowledge that making false statements to the government is a crime isn't an element of the crime.

This potential excuse might make you feel better about Flynn personally, but it doesn't change anything we are discussing.

The prosecutors don't have to explain why Flynn attempted to conceal the matter.

Prosecutors don't have to prove the motive behind making false statements to the FBI in order to prosecute someone for making false statements to the FBI.

Oh, I care why Flynn lied, it's just not relevant to the charge against Flynn, or to the idiotic accusations that the FBI did something wrong by interviewing Flynn, nor is it relevant to the prosecution of Flynn.

Sooner or later you are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Trump is a crook who surrounded himself with other crooks.

All of your readings are based on transcripts of what people said, and therefore they don't impact the question of why they said them. I have not represented my hypothesis about Flynn's mental confusion as anything but a hypothesis, and have admitted that none of us are ever likely to know the truth. However, I think the idea that he may not have been aware of the legalities underlying the FBI interview makes more sense in explaining his response than your earlier hypothesis, that he was just "stupid." Alternately, I could also sooner believe that maybe he had some arrogance about what he thought the FBI would or would not do against him. I assume that some day in the future Flynn may write a tell-all to explain his actions, and that when he does, he will put himself in the best possible light. I'm not interested in making Flynn look good, but as I've said, I consider all aspects of the Russia probe tainted by bad actors, regardless, as was mentioned before, whether or not the Steele Dossier was directly involved.

I'm aware of the dictum that "ignorance of the law is no excuse." I also know that the FBI doesn't move against everyone who lies to them, and that the whole affair suggests partisan manipulation.

Re your reference to Flynn being a "crook": I was informed that his 2017 retroactive registration as a foreign agent for his 2016 activities legally "covered his a**," so to speak, so that the FBI could not prosecute him on those matters. I believe you alluded to these activities earlier: am I correct in assuming you regard them as prime evidence of crookedness, despite the "legality" that protected him from being charged?

None of this matters with respect to the charges Flynn pleaded guilty to. Flynn lied to Pence, specifically about the expulsions. Flynn then lied to the FBI, specifically about the expulsions.

That's not what prompted the FBI to interview Flynn.

What prompted the FBI to interview Flynn was the fact that Flynn lied to Pence about his conversations with Kislyak.

Wouldn't Flynn have lied to the newspapers first? That's why, in the video excerpt you inserted elsewhere, Pence was responding to reporters about the matter, buttressing Flynn's story and thus opening himself (Pence) up for embarrassment.

You'll excuse me, I'm too busy being right about the order to dismiss by the appellate court to care about what you have to say.
Man, then today must be a real kick to the gut for you.

"The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Monday denied Michael Flynn’s emergency petition for a writ of mandamus. This means that the criminal case, rather than being ordered dismissed as requested by Team Flynn and the Department of Justice, will be kicked back down to U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan."
Source: En Banc D.C. Circuit Rejects Michael Flynn's Petition | Law & Crime

Now, Sullivan can still decide to grant the DOJ's motion (or not), but, at least for today, facts once again make your posts look stupid. Well, more stupid than I've already established they were.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom