• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Death Penalty, for or against

Do you support the death penalty?

• Total voters
Because my above comment is true, and you can't refute it, so now you are going to pout. Okay, pout away.
Este no es el sotano.

Ce n'est pas le sous-sol.

Dies ist nicht der Keller.

Questo non e il seminterrato.

what like you have special powers to bore people into submission:liar2:kissass

what like you have special powers to bore people into submission:liar2:kissass
If only. Were it so, I might be spared the impediment of encroaching witlings like yourself.

The emotional argument in this case would be that society "should" let a man who raped and killed a 6 month old live, because of an obligation to treat him humanely. He did not act humanely when he raped and killed a baby, thus deserves no humane treatment. The logical response would be to kill him. Logic implies that equity would be utilized.

No it isn't. The logical argument is that to get rid of the death penalty saves money, and again there is the potential of executing innocent people. Why spend this money on executions when it could be spent in much more productive manner?

Death Penalty*:*Cost

Logic has nothing to do with money. Logic is about making judgements based on facts and circumstances.

Logic has nothing to do with money. Logic is about making judgements based on facts and circumstances.

Yes, and the amount of money spent is a fact and a circumstance.

Yes, and the amount of money spent is a fact and a circumstance.

But that is not what logic is about. Logic pertains to judging the action committed, and the logical response to that action, not based on money, but on the appropriateness and the balancing of the action itself.

Fools, reason, intellect. A frightful nuisance they are. lulz

Look, go bother someone else with your ridiculousness. I'm trying to discuss the topic like an adult.

Look, go bother someone else with your ridiculousness. I'm trying to discuss the topic like an adult.
Indeed. That was a contribution of rare insight.

Some people need to be put out of society's misery, these criminals have not only committed crimes against another individual (or individuals), but against society itself. Society has every right to decide these people who have committed these crimes have lost their right to breathe the same air as decent people. It's about justice, not revenge.

Sure, I know better than to commit these crimes! The people on death row for capital crimes are not law-abiding citizens, they almost always have a rap sheet as long as your arm, in and out of prison for their entire lives, they are a threat to the United States Citizen, even if they didn't commit murder. I don't have to worry about that because I'm not a criminal. Too bad you don't understand that concept.

Nonsense. And overplayed. Every time someone uses an example of the type of people who should receive the dp due to horrific crimes, those against the dp chime in with "you're just being emotional." That's their only retort. It's simply untrue. People who would rape and murder infants should not exist in the first place. But there's nothing that can change what they did, so erasing their existence is the closest option. If these individuals did not exist, the world would be a better place. And no, overcrowded prisons are not the only logical argument for the dp. Try a little harder.. seriously. Even I wouldn't argue that people should die because prisons are overcrowded.

Secondly, those against the dp try to appear enlightened while arguing that those who support the dp are barbaric. Don't be so sure. These same people value worthless, depraved individuals. That, in no way, makes them enlightened.

I don't think that anyone who is against the DP "values" these kinds of people. It is just extremely ineffective in every realm, as a deterrent, as being cost effective, etc., etc.

I don't think that anyone who is against the DP "values" these kinds of people. It is just extremely ineffective in every realm, as a deterrent, as being cost effective, etc., etc.

The DP isn't meant to be a deterrent...

Yes, they do value them. They act concerned about these individuals being treated with dignity as if that should matter. They are not people. They are empty vessels which is why they suck the life out of others.

Wrong. The logical argument is to reduce cost and only execute those that are guilty beyond a doubt. This can be done too.

Yes, they do value them. They act concerned about these individuals being treated with dignity as if that should matter. They are not people. They are empty vessels which is why they suck the life out of others.

No, the point is that the government should not be given the power to take human life at it's whim. It really has nothing to do with the individuals unless there is the chance they could be innocent like this guy. EVERYONE thought this guy was guilty. Thankfully, there was no death penalty in RI at that time, but if he had been in a death penalty state, his "alleged" crime most certainly could have been a death penalty case, and if the guy who truly was guilty never came forward Mr. Hornoff would probably STILL be in jail today. Thankfully, he was alive to be freed and try to live out his life.

Scott Hornoff | The Story

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…