• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

David Brooks: Trump ‘will be known a hundred years from now as the biggest loser.....

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
David Brooks: Trump ‘will be known a hundred years from now as the biggest loser in American politics’
David Brooks: Trump ‘will be known a hundred years from now as the biggest loser in American politics’

“During a Meet The Press panel discussion on the havoc GOP front-runner Donald Trump is wreaking on the Republican Party, conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks unloaded on the blustery businessman, saying he’ll go down as “the biggest loser in American politics.”

In his columns for the Times, Brooks has been unsparing in his criticism of Trump, and recently called him a “perpetual destabilizer” who can’t behave with “a modicum of “presidentiality.” ……….

…. Then he unloaded on Trump and his boosters.

“All these people keep waiting for him, ‘When is he going to turn into a philosopher king? It’s time he should become Abraham Lincoln,'” Brooks asserted. “He’s Donald Trump. You know, he’s – you know, it’s all aggression, it’s all ignorance, it’s all the time ……….

……. Brooks said he’ll be the eventual nominee and predicted he will become infamous for a crushing defeat in the November general election.

“I think it’s likely to be Trump. I think he’s the walking dead,” he explained before adding the final insult. “I think he’ll get the nomination and he will just go down to a crushing defeat. And will be known for a hundred years from now, people will say, ‘Who’s the biggest loser in American politics?’ And it won’t be McGovern, it won’t be Dukakis, the word ‘Trump.’ And I hope when he’s down there in Hades he’s aware of all ………

For myself, I agree with Brooks……. And cannot with for it to happen……. not so much for Trump’s loss………. But as a poke in the eye of the RW extremist who have made shambles of a once great party……. a party of Lincoln no less
And enough of a whoppin’ to send those hate filled uneducated ignorant racists on their way ……. back to where they came from …

ALSO SEE:
David Brooks: Trump Screwed Up Just At The Moment "When The Party Was Ready To Submit To Him" | Video | RealClearPolitics

Re: David Brooks: Trump ‘will be known a hundred years from now as the biggest loser.

Trump seems to be the biggest winner in the GOP primaries so far... Where you been?

Re: David Brooks: Trump ‘will be known a hundred years from now as the biggest loser.

“During a Meet The Press panel discussion on the havoc GOP front-runner Donald Trump is wreaking on the Republican Party, conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks unloaded on the blustery businessman, saying he’ll go down as “the biggest loser in American politics.”

In his columns for the Times, Brooks has been unsparing in his criticism of Trump, and recently called him a “perpetual destabilizer” who can’t behave with “a modicum of “presidentiality.” ……….

…. Then he unloaded on Trump and his boosters.

“All these people keep waiting for him, ‘When is he going to turn into a philosopher king? It’s time he should become Abraham Lincoln,'” Brooks asserted. “He’s Donald Trump. You know, he’s – you know, it’s all aggression, it’s all ignorance, it’s all the time ……….

……. Brooks said he’ll be the eventual nominee and predicted he will become infamous for a crushing defeat in the November general election.

“I think it’s likely to be Trump. I think he’s the walking dead,” he explained before adding the final insult. “I think he’ll get the nomination and he will just go down to a crushing defeat. And will be known for a hundred years from now, people will say, ‘Who’s the biggest loser in American politics?’ And it won’t be McGovern, it won’t be Dukakis, the word ‘Trump.’ And I hope when he’s down there in Hades he’s aware of all ………

For myself, I agree with Brooks……. And cannot with for it to happen……. not so much for Trump’s loss………. But as a poke in the eye of the RW extremist who have made shambles of a once great party……. a party of Lincoln no less
And enough of a whoppin’ to send those hate filled uneducated ignorant racists on their way ……. back to where they came from …

ALSO SEE:
David Brooks: Trump Screwed Up Just At The Moment "When The Party Was Ready To Submit To Him" | Video | RealClearPolitics
There sure is a lot of animosity directed towards a man who has spent almost no money this campaign to lead in the polls. I bet JEB! Bush, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio WISH they had done twice as well with all their corporate money behind them.

Last edited:

While I usually find David Brooks, the NYT fake house conservative, insufferably elitist and wrong-headed on this he is mostly correct. Trump will likely suffer a bad thumping, unless Hillary is charged with a crime (or the FBI recommends a charge and DOJ refuses to act). It would not, however be the worst defeat in 100 years for two reasons:

1) Hillary is also extremely unpopular, and her fight with Bernie promises a very nasty convention.
2) The American voters are, compared to prior decades, very polarized. Each nominee has a rock solid 40 percent voting base. The huge losses we saw in the failed attempts by Goldwater's (64) and McGovern's (72) are very unlikely...if not impossible.

So yes, Trump could be pounded and lose by 10 points and a 100 or more electoral votes. But that won't be the worst ever experienced. Still, it will be a disaster for the GOP, likely losing both the house and Senate, providing Hillary with the power she needs for more social transformation.

And yes, it will likely go down among the three worst defeats in the last 100 years.

imyoda is just posting any crap he can find about trump as if it were equitable to do so..

Nothing to see here..

imyoda is just posting any crap he can find about trump as if it were equitable to do so..

Nothing to see here..

Is there any chance your guy, Trump, might start to act presidential? maybe actually think before he speaks? The guy is self-destructing and demonstrating vividly that he is unfit for office. And I say this as a guy who actually liked him at first. I thought he would grow as a candidate but he clearly has not and has earned every ounce of the negative press he is receiving.

Is there any chance your guy, Trump, might start to act presidential? maybe actually think before he speaks? The guy is self-destructing and demonstrating vividly that he is unfit for office. And I say this as a guy who actually liked him at first. I thought he would grow as a candidate but he clearly has not and has earned every ounce of the negative press he is receiving.

Nah... I want him to keep making the medias heads explode..

Nah... I want him to keep making the medias heads explode..

I thought he was running for president? Seems like you want this to just be another reality show.

I thought he was running for president? Seems like you want this to just be another reality show.

The establishment on both sides are trying to make it a reality tv show with their election fixing strategies and the media with their lies and constant bashing.

You mean like...ha ha, let me compose my straight face, you mean anything like the current president...? Bwhhhhaaaaaahhhahahahahaha

The establishment on both sides are trying to make it a reality tv show with their election fixing strategies and the media with their lies and constant bashing.

No. I am no fan of either the establishment or the media. Trump is doing this to himself. He is the one behaving like a child, ignorant of the principles behind even the most basic political issues.

You mean like...ha ha, let me compose my straight face, you mean anything like the current president...? Bwhhhhaaaaaahhhahahahahaha

Look, I am no fan of the guy and disagree with virtually everything he stands for, but Obama IS presidential; he IS mature; he IS knowledgeable on the issues. Trump is an unprincipled, undisciplined, immature, big government, buffoon who would probably be an even worse president than the one we currently have.

Brooks and I are in similar schools of political thought, but while I think his assessment of a Trump candidacy is correct, I do not think Trump will come out the nominee. I think he will lose the first ballot and then the second ballot will throw him out of contention.

While I usually find David Brooks, the NYT fake house conservative, insufferably elitist and wrong-headed on this he is mostly correct. Trump will likely suffer a bad thumping, unless Hillary is charged with a crime (or the FBI recommends a charge and DOJ refuses to act). It would not, however be the worst defeat in 100 years for two reasons:

1) Hillary is also extremely unpopular, and her fight with Bernie promises a very nasty convention.
2) The American voters are, compared to prior decades, very polarized. Each nominee has a rock solid 40 percent voting base. The huge losses we saw in the failed attempts by Goldwater's (64) and McGovern's (72) are very unlikely...if not impossible.

So yes, Trump could be pounded and lose by 10 points and a 100 or more electoral votes. But that won't be the worst ever experienced. Still, it will be a disaster for the GOP, likely losing both the house and Senate, providing Hillary with the power she needs for more social transformation.

And yes, it will likely go down among the three worst defeats in the last 100 years.

I don't think it's producing a nasty convention. I think that liberals have problems surfacing--a preview of the party split to come--but it is not here yet. At the moment the lengthy contest is serving to re-energize Democrats who were previously becoming deflated.

The candidates themselves have behaved quite well toward one another, and both have made enormous strides in attempting to contrast themselves with the GOP's primary season. They have done so with success. While the GOP had tossed aside their most talented candidates, rose up those with little to no experience, and made immaturity the norm rather than the exception, the Democrats have acted much more seasoned and presidential.

If this truly became a quick coronation for Hillary, it would have had a bigger negative impact for Democrats, allowing Republicans to capitalize on the energy narrative. The good news for Democrats was that regardless of the length of time it would take Hillary to win, the Republicans have up to this point, done everything they could to destroy their chances in the fall.

Last edited:

Look, I am no fan of the guy and disagree with virtually everything he stands for, but Obama IS presidential; he IS mature; he IS knowledgeable on the issues. Trump is an unprincipled, undisciplined, immature, big government, buffoon who would probably be an even worse president than the one we currently have.
You are kidding me right? The amount of times that Obama has used, for being ignorant on a topic where his adminstration has overstepped overreached, is out of his depth...oh, I just read about that in the papers like everyone else... that is presidential? https://sharylattkisson.com/8-times-obama-says-he-was-way-out-of-the-loop/ and that is not even near all of them.

Supposed to be a constitutional scholar and he upends the constitution forcing everyone to buy a product whether they like it or not? Jumping into regional racial matters, where he has absolutely no business, before he even knows the real circumstances? That is presidential? Professor Gates, Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown justified shooting, blah blah blah... all on the wrong side.

He is good with a teleprompter, sure, I would say he was a nice puppet but he knows exactly what he is doing despite being incredibly incompetent.

You and I disagree on quite a lot, but I think that's something Republicans and conservatives alike need to step back and acknowledge.

This canard about how "all on this stage would be a better President than [insert Democratic foe here]" is allowing Republicans and conservatives to become delusional about the quality of candidates they actually have.

Election fixing? No. 2nd ballots are incredibly common in American politics and conventions serve a separate purpose from the individual state primaries. This probably will not be like the 1968 DNC where Humphrey was put in despite not having won a single primary, but if it was, I wouldn't blame them in the slightest.

Election fixing? No. 2nd ballots are incredibly common in American politics and conventions serve a separate purpose from the individual state primaries. This probably will not be like the 1968 DNC where Humphrey was put in despite not having won a single primary, but if it was, I wouldn't blame them in the slightest.

Not if they change the rules mid-stroke to fix em..

Trump seems to be the biggest winner in the GOP primaries so far... Where you been?

So was McGovern and Dukakis the 'biggest winner' in their primaries...Where have you been??? :peace

Obama has not shown himself to be knowledgeable on the issues. He's shown that he can read the speeches his handlers give him.

There sure is a lot of animosity directed towards a man who has spent almost no money this campaign to lead in the polls. I bet JEB! Bush, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio WISH they had done twice as well with all their corporate money behind them.

You know when folks call The Donald a liar it is not because they do not like him.............it's because he's a liar.......

He has never told folks he has a web page begging for money..............raised over $7 million dollars in donations has a PAC funded by the Wrigley family of Chicago Cub fame .......and is planning for a massive push to get donations from all sorts of special interest folks for the $500 million required to run a national campaign for president ........

Do not believe anything Trump says.......if he's moving his mouth 98% he telling a lie
Donald is a cheapskate of the highest order............and is not using his own money..............he lent his campaign the money and expects to be repair with interest

You know when folks call The Donald a liar it is not because they do not like him.............it's because he's a liar.......

He has never told folks he has a web page begging for money..............raised over $7 million dollars in donations has a PAC funded by the Wrigley family of Chicago Cub fame .......and is planning for a massive push to get donations from all sorts of special interest folks for the $500 million required to run a national campaign for president ........

Do not believe anything Trump says.......if he's moving his mouth 98% he telling a lie
Donald is a cheapskate of the highest order............and is not using his own money..............he lent his campaign the money and expects to be repair with interest

REFERENCE TO WRIGLEY FAMILY WAS IN ERROR

Trump donors and Super PAC:

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/candidate.php?id=N00023864
Candidate Summary, 2016 Cycle

Top Contributors, federal election data
https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?cycle=2016&id=N00023864&type=f

Pro-Trump Super PAC Runs Ad In Wisconsin | The Daily ...
Pro-Trump Super PAC Runs Ad In Wisconsin | The Daily Caller

Keep throwing crap and maybe some of it will stick...

That's the plan right?

UPDATE

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...rump-met-secretly-with-interests-groups/?_r=0
Donald Trump Met Secretly with Interest Groups

“Donald J. Trump’s private meeting in Washington on Thursday featured nearly a dozen industry leaders, including a veteran lobbyist and the chief executive of a major airline trade organization, attendees confirmed.

Mr. Trump’s meeting, like others he held that day, was at the hotel he is building in the gutted body of the Old Post Office, and was kept secret, with attendees invited by phone.

Nicholas E. Calio, a former lobbyist who worked on legislative affairs for President George Bush, was in attendance. Mr. Calio is now the president and chief executive of Airlines for America, a large trade group. There was also Juanita Duggan, the president and chief executive of the National Federation of Independent Business, another major trade group. She is a former aide who served in the first Bush and Reagan administrations, and she was once an official with the tobacco giant Philip Morris Companies……….”

Has the Donald told his base that he fishing for special interest money…………..or will he continue the lie he is self funding……….

Back
Top Bottom