• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cuba punches above its weight to develop its own Covid vaccines

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Island hit by biggest economic crisis since the collapse of the Soviet Union has two vaccines in phase three clinical trials

Hit by the double whammy of US sanctions and a pandemic, Cuba is going through its gravest economic crisis since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Pharmacy shelves are barren. People queue for hours to buy chicken. It’s hard to find bread.

And yet this island under siege could become the smallest country in the world to develop its own coronavirus vaccines. Of the 27 coronavirus vaccines in final stage testing around the world, two are Cuban.

“To have our sovereignty we need our own vaccines,” said Dr Vicente Vérez, director of the Finlay Institute, which has developed Sovereign 2, the most advanced of the country’s five vaccine candidates. “In nine months we have gone from an idea to a vaccine in phase three clinical trials.”
=====================================================================================
Not bad for a centrally planned communist economy. Maybe there's something positive to take from this.

Yeah I heard the Iranians have rejected the “western” vaccines and are going to wait to get the Cuban ones.

I don't blame them. It's not like anyone is going to share vaccines with them.

Not that I have any real reason to trust anything Cuba says about really anything, but our policy from the right on Cuba is the poster child for hypocrisy.

Island hit by biggest economic crisis since the collapse of the Soviet Union has two vaccines in phase three clinical trials

Hit by the double whammy of US sanctions and a pandemic, Cuba is going through its gravest economic crisis since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Pharmacy shelves are barren. People queue for hours to buy chicken. It’s hard to find bread.

And yet this island under siege could become the smallest country in the world to develop its own coronavirus vaccines. Of the 27 coronavirus vaccines in final stage testing around the world, two are Cuban.

“To have our sovereignty we need our own vaccines,” said Dr Vicente Vérez, director of the Finlay Institute, which has developed Sovereign 2, the most advanced of the country’s five vaccine candidates. “In nine months we have gone from an idea to a vaccine in phase three clinical trials.”
=====================================================================================
Not bad for a centrally planned communist economy. Maybe there's something positive to take from this.
Love that place. I'm really looking forward to when Raul and the last of the revolutionaries kick off and the country becomes more liberal. Nothing will hold those people back then.

Seems like a really bad way to distribute resources in a country that cant even stock its grocery shelves.

Not that I have any real reason to trust anything Cuba says about really anything, but our policy from the right on Cuba is the poster child for hypocrisy.

Can you please explain? What is the policy from the right on Cuba, and how is it hypocrisy?

Yeah I heard the Iranians have rejected the “western” vaccines and are going to wait to get the Cuban ones.
The clueless Iranians have been using traditional Middle Eastern cures like camel urine. Whenever there's a problem they look it up in the index of their Holy Book.

Seems like a really bad way to distribute resources in a country that cant even stock its grocery shelves.
And whose fault is that? Why yes, America and your ridiculously pointless and punitive sanctions. America is still peeved because Cuba refused to play by your rules.
The WHO global healthcare rankings give Cuba 39th place for overall quality. The US is #37. Furthermore Cuba's medical schools (free), are so good that graduates are able to get accreditation to practise in the US.

Last edited:
The clueless Iranians have been using traditional Middle Eastern cures like camel urine. Whenever there's a problem they look it up in the index of their Holy Book.
And where did you find that little gem?

Love that place. I'm really looking forward to when Raul and the last of the revolutionaries kick off and the country becomes more liberal. Nothing will hold those people back then.
How about America quits the pointlessly punitive embargo? Would that help the Cubans, or is that tiny island still considered a deadly Communist threat to mighty America?

Can you please explain? What is the policy from the right on Cuba, and how is it hypocrisy?

Generally speaking, support for the continued embargo, isolation, whatever policy for Cuba is a right wing position.

It is hypocritical as this nation has plenty of diplomatic, trade, and other interests in supporting other very oppressive governments around the globe but has decided that little Cuba of all nations is a problem.

The whole thing has been a decades long failure to change anything.

How about America quits the pointlessly punitive embargo? Would that help the Cubans, or is that tiny island still considered a deadly Communist threat to mighty America?
No doubt that would help. That's how they became tied to Russia in the first place. When they couldn't sell sugar to Coca Cola anymore there was the Soviet Union with hands full of foreign aid.
That embargo was more about nationalizing property owned my American corporations than about political ideology. The Mafia had a lot invested in Havana, United Fruit had large plantations, US Sugar, there was a lot of American money that disappeared when Fidel marched into Havana.
An influx of American tourism will bring lots of bucks but I hope it doesn't bring drugs and prostitution along with.

They're behind the rest of the world in vaccine distribution by more than a year and you have a positive take away? We'll as much as I fear what the Biden administration is going to do to our democracy and debt, I'll stay in the U.S.A. You hop the first boat to Cuba if you like.

They're behind the rest of the world in vaccine distribution by more than a year and you have a positive take away? We'll as much as I fear what the Biden administration is going to do to our democracy and debt, I'll stay in the U.S.A. You hop the first boat to Cuba if you like.
It's a great place to visit. It'll be even better when Raul and the last of the revolutionaries dies and the society becomes more liberal. If you decide to go, the Americans I met there flew from Mexico or Jamaica.

Speaking of democracy, the Trumpists are hell bent on turning this country into a fascist one-party state. They are starting by storming the Capitol in an effort to overturn a democratic election.

Why? Cuba has nothing we want and hadn’t complied with our requirements to change government.

Isn't Cuba a Marxist Leninist nation.

I wonder how many political prisoners they will test it on

It's a beautiful country with delightful people. Try it sometime-oh no, I forgot, your nanny government won't let you.

Back
Top Bottom