• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Criminal probe launched of police seen shoving man in Buffalo: prosecutor's office

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Criminal probe launched of police seen shoving man in Buffalo: prosecutor's office - Reuters

(Reuters) - Two Buffalo, New York, police officers who were shown on video shoving a 75-year-old protester to the ground are under investigation for potential criminal liability, a spokeswoman for the region’s district attorney said on Friday.

“The Erie County District Attorney’s Office continues to investigate the incident captured on video outside City Hall Thursday evening that resulted in the injury of (a) protester,” Kait Munro said in an emailed statement.

The incident on Thursday raised further questions about police behavior, after the death of African-American man George Floyd in Minneapolis set off nationwide street protests.
=====================================================
I saw the video at least 3 times. This elderly man was just standing there, facing this line of cops as they advanced. Two of them just pushed this guy, who fell back & hit his head, drawing blood & perhaps worse. One was said to have called on his portable radio for EMS help but this kind of conduct is reprehensible.

Cops are trained to have a 'command presence' approach but this type of assault was completely unjustified.

Criminal probe launched of police seen shoving man in Buffalo: prosecutor's office - Reuters

(Reuters) - Two Buffalo, New York, police officers who were shown on video shoving a 75-year-old protester to the ground are under investigation for potential criminal liability, a spokeswoman for the region’s district attorney said on Friday.

“The Erie County District Attorney’s Office continues to investigate the incident captured on video outside City Hall Thursday evening that resulted in the injury of (a) protester,” Kait Munro said in an emailed statement.

The incident on Thursday raised further questions about police behavior, after the death of African-American man George Floyd in Minneapolis set off nationwide street protests.
I saw the video at least 3 times. This elderly man was just standing there, facing this line of cops as they advanced. Two of them just pushed this guy, who fell back & hit his head, drawing blood & perhaps worse. One was said to have called on his portable radio for EMS help but this kind of conduct is reprehensible.

Cops are trained to have a 'command presence' approach but this type of assault was completely unjustified.

I am VERY happy that the entire department gave them the finger and quit. I hope and pray that no one in any other department takes their positions. This guy is younger than Biden. He was protesting. Just because he's old, that doesn't mean he can not follow orders.

Oh wait! This was in NYC where the idiot DeBlasio is? Where the riots are out of control. Whooda thunk, eh?

It was obviously an accident.

I am VERY happy that the entire department gave them the finger and quit. I hope and pray that no one in any other department takes their positions. This guy is younger than Biden. He was protesting. Just because he's old, that doesn't mean he can not follow orders.

Oh wait! This was in NYC where the idiot DeBlasio is? Where the riots are out of control. Whooda thunk, eh?

No, this is Buffalo, which is about 400 miles from NY. Buffalo is much closer to Cleveland, culturally and geographically, than it is NYC.

The police should have been suspended if they pushed an 18 year old and he struck his head. They are responsible for the consequences of their use of force. That is the whole point.

There is nothing like the police showing excessive force at a protest about the excessive use of force by police. The police can't seem to stop themselves from validating the righteousness of the protest.

I think Buffalo should just take their resignations. Good riddance. The culture of most police forces is so far gone, the cities of America might well just start over.

It was obviously an accident.

Don't buy it. Their immediate response was not consistent with an "accident"

Last edited:
New York state: 57 police resign to support officers fired for shoving 75-year-old | US news | The Guardian

New York state: 57 police resign to support officers fired for shoving 75-year-old

Entire Buffalo police department emergency response team steps down in solidarity but will still be paid

More than 50 police officers in Buffalo have resigned in support of two colleagues who were suspended after video showed them shoving a 75-year-old peace activist to the ground who then cracked his head and was hospitalized with severe injuries.

The resigning 57 officers comprised the entire Buffalo police department (BDP) emergency response team. They will still be employed by BDP and be paid, but they will no longer work on the emergency response team.

New York police officers suspended for pushing 75-year-old to ground during protests

The shock development, which triggered a wave of social media outrage, is likely to heighten tensions in the city in New York state, which like many other places has seen widespread anti-police-brutality protests in the wake of the killing of George Floyd by a white Minneapolis police officer.

The protests have been marred by widespread incidents of police violence against demonstrators and the media that have triggered condemnation by civil rights groups in the US and overseas. Many of them have been filmed and spread via social media.
========================================================
The brutal attack on Martin Gugino by the Buffalo police seemed to strike a particular chord. There was no excuse for this brutal & unprovoked attack.

This is the America that Trump wants to rule as a despot. No protesting allowed.

No, this is Buffalo, which is about 400 miles from NY. Buffalo is much closer to Cleveland, culturally and geographically, than it is NYC.

The police should have been suspended if they pushed an 18 year old and he struck his head. They are responsible for the consequences of their use of force. That is the whole point.

There is nothing like the police showing excessive force at a protest about the excessive use of force by police. The police can't seem to stop themselves from validating the righteousness of the protest.

I think Buffalo should just take their resignations. Good riddance. The culture of most police forces is so far gone, the cities of America might well just start over.

An anarchist attitude.

You need to watch it again. He placed his hand on the cop, that’s a no no.
Why was he standing there while police were doing their job moving the crowd?

Rochester is 1.5 hour drive east of Buffalo.
Was the 3-4 looters beating up the husband and wife in front of their business with 2x4 using excessive force? It would appear they were.
They should have been jailed immediately. I don’t know if they were but if so, they would have been released within hours. New bail reform laws favor those scum.

Watch the whole video as the police moved past the man on the ground. There was one, count 'em, one man within 40 or 50 yards and they peacefully arrested him without beating him or anything. No crowd. None. So 50 cops vs one 75 year old man and that requires violence?
Oh, and I'll have to remember that anytime anyone touches me, I can resort to violence. Or can you tell us why it's OK for police to attack an old man and not OK for me to protect my person?

Take your own advice. The old man did not touch the policeman who pushed him to the ground. What most us us saw was a policeman assaulting a man on the public sidewalk. Ironic that the cop is actually hired to protect and serve Americans. The police in Russia do the same.

An anarchist attitude.

I thought the conservative complaint about liberals was they wanted too much government. Please make up your mind and make a consistent argument.

As a matter of clarity, however, my comment about Buffalo firing all of its police is not an advocacy of getting rid of police departments; its cleansing the police departments from their current staff. My point is that much of the problem we have is cultural. A remedy would be to fire nearly everyone and rebuild. See Ronald Reagan and air traffic controllers.

Last edited:
I thought the conservative complaint about liberals was they wanted too much government. Please make up your mind and make a consistent argument.

Anarchists want to USE the current government to tear America down to the ground. they are succeeding.

My hope is that Trump uses the pictures of the rioting and mayhem in the DEMOCRAT cities and states with a headline:

"THIS is what is in store for America if wee vote in more far left wing radicals" with a video running of thugs looting Walmart.

Update on this story.
Thanks for the update on this story.

From the story:

The Buffalo Police Benevolent Association said it was "extremely pleased" with the grand jury's decision.
"As we have stated all along, Officers McCabe and Torgalski were simply following departmental procedures and the directives of their superiors to clear Niagara Square despite working under extremely challenging circumstances," the union said.
"We are grateful the Grand Jury decided not to charge," Buffalo PBA President John Evans told CNN in an email. "They saw there was no criminal intent. These officers have been put through hell. We look forward for their return to work."

What's Happening . . .

Could not be happier about the Grand Jury decision to no-blll this case. We certainly appreciate the efforts of Atty's Tom Burton and Joe LaTona. They put an immense amount of time/effort in preparing for this case. Also a big thank you to the silent majority that contacted us through various means and supported these officers !!!

Thanks for the update on this story.

From the story:

The Buffalo Police Benevolent Association said it was "extremely pleased" with the grand jury's decision.
"As we have stated all along, Officers McCabe and Torgalski were simply following departmental procedures and the directives of their superiors to clear Niagara Square despite working under extremely challenging circumstances," the union said.
"We are grateful the Grand Jury decided not to charge," Buffalo PBA President John Evans told CNN in an email. "They saw there was no criminal intent. These officers have been put through hell. We look forward for their return to work."
Public sector unions, amirite?

Your reply consisted solely of a quote from a union representative without further context, so I took it as a reaction to union representation of public sector employees in general and police officers in particular.

I apologize if I misunderstood; did you have more to add?

So simply touching an officer is reason enough for that officer to assault people is it?
Wow, what next? Looking at them is enough? How about just accidentally overhearing them is that enough?

What if someone taps an officer on the shoulder to get his attention? Can they expect to be beaten senseless?

So simply touching an officer is reason enough for that officer to assault people is it?
Wow, what next? Looking at them is enough? How about just accidentally overhearing them is that enough?

What if someone taps an officer on the shoulder to get his attention? Can they expect to be beaten senseless?
The old man did not even touch the policeman. Too many police in different countries have nothing but contempt for the citizens they are supposed to be protecting.

The old man did not even touch the policeman. Too many police in different countries have nothing but contempt for the citizens they are supposed to be protecting.

It does seem that there is a section of police who feel that nothing but total obedience by the public is acceptable.
They won't answer basic questions and when they face someone who knows the law and is able to quote them they go mental.

Even basic public photography is liable to get you talked to by the police and they really don't like it when shown that this activity is allowed by law.

It does seem that there is a section of police who feel that nothing but total obedience by the public is acceptable.
They won't answer basic questions and when they face someone who knows the law and is able to quote them they go mental.

Even basic public photography is liable to get you talked to by the police and they really don't like it when shown that this activity is allowed by law.
Yes, it is to be expected in autocratic states but not democracies. In countries where mothers teach respect for others to their children, the police know very well the difference between proper and improper behavior. We are seeing laws being passed in countries which forbid photographing police and they are acting toward people which would horify their mothers. As a boy I was lost when on a visit Paris one day so I approached a policeman and to my surprise he saluted me when I excused myself to ask for directions. Here in Spain, it is quite normal for a policeman to give a salute to any citizen who approached him for any reason. Of course a demonstration is different but the police have no right to act like gangsters. Our town is not big enough for the national police to patrol but we do have a local police who are only rarely seen, usually when a bank is receiving a shipment of cash. They seem to be underemployed.

Um.....Buffalo is not New York City. Idiot.

Back
Top Bottom