• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cowboys for Trump creator found guilty in second US Capitol attack trial

Funny how you would both use the same poor analogy within seconds of each other.

The capital is public property and is there evidence that he was connected with the people doing the damage
Very little public property is open to anybody at any time.

He did not break in nor did he cause damage on the inside
Yet he did have to scale a wall in order to get inside. According to the judge, this should have been a clue that he wasn't supposed to be there.

Funny how you would both use the same poor analogy within seconds of each other.

The capital is public property and is there evidence that he was connected with the people doing the damage
A police station is public property, if someone in front of me kicks the door open to a restricted area of our local police station and I walk in behind him, should I not face any changes?

Yet he did have to scale a wall in order to get inside. According to the judge, this should have been a clue that he wasn't supposed to be there.

That's true, I wonder how the case would have gone if he had entered by other means

Reactions: lwf
He did not break in nor did he cause damage on the inside
It was a B&E and he participated. He's lucky he didn't get charged with everything anyone in the crowd did.
You may think he should just walk but a judge disagreed.
If he had followed the looters through a broken out storefront in Portland and then left without stealing anything would he have been guilty of anything?

A police station is public property, if someone in front of me kicks the door open to a restricted area of our local police station and I walk in behind him, should I not face any changes?

As I have said in a previous post it depends on what exactly they called a restricted area. If the police station called their lobby a restricted area and tried to arrest people in it then I would not be okay with that

If he had followed the looters through a broken out storefront in Portland and then left without stealing anything would he have been guilty of anything?

How many people are going to try to compare public property and private property

When you see your comrades doing battle with the police, perhaps you should stand back. Why was he with the crowd in the first place? The capitol was closed to the public. Sure, it's public property. But so is the Smithsonian. Go ahead and jump a fence there and get caught, see what happens. When it's closed, it's closed.

Why you guys keep defending these morons is just baffling to me. You have nothing to gain from it and arguments always fall flat. My personal opinion is that the majority of the sentences handed down so far have been much too light.

How many people are going to try to compare public property and private property
It's only public when It's open to the public. C'mon, do you think everyone is entitled to access to every government facility, open or closed? Busting into a government-owned building is not a different category of B&E from breaking into a privately owned building. Go ahead, try it yoursel- go break into a closed government office, the county records building say, and see what happens.
That's one thin, slippery straw to cling to.

As I have said in a previous post it depends on what exactly they called a restricted area. If the police station called their lobby a restricted area and tried to arrest people in it then I would not be okay with that
Geees. Anywhere inside the fence that had signs that said "Closed to The Public" is the restricted area. Beyond that, if he was in the building, he had to go through doors that were violently breeched by others. The doors were locked. He's damn lucky he got off with a slap on the wrist.

I'll bet he won't try it again.

The real news is the judicial precedence set, that entering the Capitol that day, even non-violently, violates federal statute. That is a big deal!
It is a big deal. It means that free speech doesn't extend to the Capitol grounds. Fortunately, and for the sake of democracy everywhere, entering a private business and disrupting diners for political purposes is still free speech...as long as you aren't supporting Trump.

Griffin never went into the building as most people would understand the term but, for the purposes of this "crime" the term "building" includes the physical structure as well as the surrounding grounds.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1355981/download

S1 indicated that neither he nor STRUCK entered the U.S. Capitol
building at any time, and instead they both remained on the U.S. Capitol steps. S1 stated that police
never asked him to leave the area, and he exited the U.S. Capitol grounds peacefully

It's only public when It's open to the public. C'mon, do you think everyone is entitled to access to every government facility, open or closed? Busting into a government-owned building is not a different category of B&E from breaking into a privately owned building. Go ahead, try it yoursel- go break into a closed government office, the county records building say, and see what happens.
That's one thin, slippery straw to cling to.

During business hours on a business day a public building should be open to the public.

How is that a controversial idea?

It is a big deal. It means that free speech doesn't extend to the Capitol grounds.

Free speech is fine; entering prohibited areas is not.

Fortunately, and for the sake of democracy everywhere, entering a private business and disrupting diners for political purposes is still free speech...as long as you aren't supporting Trump.

Total fabrication on your part, Luther.

I'm only responding to this nonsense because I already started my response, above.

Griffin never went into the building as most people would understand the term but, for the purposes of this "crime" the term "building" includes the physical structure as well as the surrounding grounds.

You don't have to be a genius to know not to scale fences put-up to keep you out. Especially when there's cops on the other side trying to keep you out.

During business hours on a business day a public building should be open to the public.

And if it's not then breaking in is justifiable? "Well, it should have been open so I opened it!"
Don't move the goalposts. We're not debating whether the public building should have been open, we're debating whether breaking into it when It's closed should be an offense.
I get it. You need to find a way that this guy, and probably several others, should be given a pass but saying the law shouldn't apply isn't going to carry any weight in a courtroom. Judges don't make laws and they can't modify what laws say, all they can do is uphold the law as it is.

It is a big deal. It means that free speech doesn't extend to the Capitol grounds. Fortunately, and for the sake of democracy everywhere, entering a private business and disrupting diners for political purposes is still free speech...as long as you aren't supporting Trump.

Climbing a fence that is marked Closed to the Public is not free speech. Entering a diner when it's open is perfectly acceptable as long as the proprietor allows it as it is private property.

Ever heard of Covid closures? Besides the fact that the capitol is never open to the public when a President or VP are inside without prior authorization. There were also intelligence warnings about possible trouble. So, the grounds and the buildings were closed to the public, period. What part of this exactly don't you understand?

Climbing a fence that is marked Closed to the Public is not free speech. Entering a diner when it's open is perfectly acceptable as long as the proprietor allows it as it is private property.
Right. Abuses against private property should always be allowed because the very concept of “private” violates every principle of freedom. If we allow private ownership and private property then we are encouraging the abuse if the worker class by the owner class.

Conversely, public property must be protected at all cost, including deadly force, because it is the people’s property and when we allow the wrong people to use it then we risk giving up our most fundamental freedoms.

I totally get what you’re saying.

The real news is the judicial precedence set, that entering the Capitol that day, even non-violently, violates federal statute. That is a big deal!

Watched him live tonight at the Speedway where the people's convoy is and honestly people weren't all that receptive to his "They picked on me" speech.

I didn't read whatever articles but did they mention while he was in court yesterday the guy sitting in this guy's truck truck out front (with long horse trailer) end up getting cited because the tags on the trailer were expired?

How the hell do you drive a truck towing a horse trailer specifically to show the "Cowboy's for Trump" slogan, park it out front for attention, and not realize you're not legal? Derp....

Watched him live tonight at the Speedway where the people's convoy is and honestly people weren't all that receptive to his "They picked on me" speech.

Hah!

--

"I entered a restricted area of the Capitol during a riot, and got a misdemeanor, likely with two-weeks time served"

"Therefore, I'm a political prisoner!"

--

These guys are jokes!

I didn't read whatever articles but did they mention while he was in court yesterday the guy sitting in this guy's truck truck out front (with long horse trailer) end up getting cited because the tags on the trailer were expired?

How the hell do you drive a truck towing a horse trailer specifically to show the "Cowboy's for Trump" slogan, park it out front for attention, and not realize you're not legal? Derp....

LMAO!

Well, the good news appears to be that they are too freakin' stupid to be successful & effective criminals!

Regardless - low intelligence unbalanced individuals can indeed cause damage, and they need to be stopped.

He was certainly part of the mob who had a very unified purpose, going way outside their permit area and charging in.

Hah!

--

"I entered a restricted area of the Capitol during a riot, and got a misdemeanor, likely with two-weeks time served"

"Therefore, I'm a political prisoner!"

--

These guys are jokes!

LMAO!

Well, the good news appears to be that they are too freakin' stupid to be successful & effective criminals!

Regardless - low intelligence unbalanced individuals can indeed cause damage, and they need to be stopped.

I've seen enough unbalanced people on both sides to last a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom