• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Covid cases set U.S. record: 77K in one day

How will his being gone alter the fact that your dopey country is setting records for infections too? So is all of Europe, in fact.

Your usual

Yeah, but whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout and whaddabout ...​

is as appreciated as ever.

Why not just rely on explicit numbers that they publish in their daily deaths graph? I just disregard current day and look at prior days that are "in the books".

Total numbers that you capture are in flux and I guess this causes mismatch vs what they consider as daily numbers since boundary of the day is different for you and them (they finalize the day around 7pm Pacific / 10pm your time). E.g. the numbers you listed do not match their numbers of total deaths for prior days.

Seems like numbers from prior days on their graphs are more stable (but even they change sometimes though when they get a rare spike which they later distribute over prior days).

I could do that, of course. It's just that I'm used to the way I go about it. In addition, I'm still minutes away from starting to get outside my first cup of coffee and my old brain isn't yet functioning on all cylinders, if it can still do that. Trends will not be affected by the differences to any great degree.

Best to you and yours.

Over 400k died under Biden's watch of Influenza. Why didn't he protect these people?
Is the gop forcing people to get a flu shot? Hell no, most won't even wear a mask. Watch the shiny object and forget covid.

No.

Where the people use appropriate mask and distance measures, the results are roughly

Where people deny that COVID-19 is a serious problem and ignore the appropriate mask and distance measures, then that proves that stupidity does not prevent COVID-19.

People are wearing Homemade masks which aren't as effective as your what ever that is?

People are wearing Homemade masks which aren't as effective as your what ever that is?

I have to agree with you that there is no point in doing anything to attempt to reduce the spread of COVID-19 until AFTER you have been 100% satisfied that it will be 100% effective in 100% of the cases 100% of the time.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I do.

An analysis of "Red State" vs "Blue State" is rather interesting - especially if you look at the graphs and not just the raw data.

Actually that can be misleading, since you really need to drill down into red and blue counties at least. For example, my state of WA is "blue" but divided into distinct red and blue sections. East of the Cascade mountains is very red. So we had our initial wave here in the Seattle area, and since then have kept it pretty well suppressed. East of the mountains they were hit hard this summer. But looking at the state as a whole you'd think the whole state was hit hard in the summer.

Went to a bakery the other day, the owner had a mask that said " this mask is as useless as my governor ". Left a nice tip. Yesterday at a convenience store a lady slinging pizza had a Trump mask. Was cool to see. I put one on as I walk in and take it off as I walk out to show respect for those forced to wear it not because it will keep me or anyone else safe. I saw wedding pictures this week with bride and groom kissing wearing masks.....I wanted to cry.
Aww, bless, how sweet

I have to agree with you that there is no point in doing anything to attempt to reduce the spread of COVID-19 until AFTER you have been 100% satisfied that it will be 100% effective in 100% of the cases 100% of the time.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I do.

Nice spin you got going(LOL)

Actually that can be misleading, since you really need to drill down into red and blue counties at least. For example, my state of WA is "blue" but divided into distinct red and blue sections. East of the Cascade mountains is very red. So we had our initial wave here in the Seattle area, and since then have kept it pretty well suppressed. East of the mountains they were hit hard this summer. But looking at the state as a whole you'd think the whole state was hit hard in the summer.

I realize that, but there is a limit to how finely I can divide the statistics.

If someone wants to do an electoral district by electoral district (county by county if they are REAL gluttons for punishment) analysis for the entire United States of America and then compare that analysis with a similar electoral district by electoral district analysis for every other country in the world (or even just the "G-8 + China" group plus "Europe", they have my total blessing.

However, eventually reach the point where you are trying to answer the "If there are 10,000,000 long-haul truck drivers, and if 300 out of every million long-haul truck drivers have an accident in a year, and if 5% of the population is Mennonite, then how many Mennonite long-haul truck drivers will have accidents each year?" question WITHOUT giving any consideration to the fact that Mennonites do not drive long-haul trucks.

Mind you, I rather suspect that within a couple of years we will see some Masters and Doctorate level theses coming out that DO break the analysis down to the County level (at least for an individual state) However, that those theses are likely to prove is something like

After controlling for all other variables including age, sex, education, existing rates of disease, and income, for "State A" which had 90% of its population in 10% of its area and an overall population density of 100 / sq.mi. and for "State B" which had its population evenly distributed but which also had an overall population density of 100 / sq. mi. there was a difference in infection rate that was statistically significant but which did NOT have any correlation to the states' overall population density.

HOWEVER when population density per county was examined, the correlation between population density and infection rate became stronger.

AND when population density within local sub-regions of counties was examined, the correlation between population density and infection rate became even stronger.

CONCLUSION, the closer together people live, the more likely it is that an infectious disease will be spread amongst them.

That paper should be sufficient to fulfill the requirements for the Master or Doctorate level degree it was filed in support of.

It will also rate a "Well Duuuuhhhh!" from any reasonably intelligent and educated person.

It's called teaching idiots a lesson. If you can get jailed for something as inoffensive as not paying your taxes what's the problem with locking up potential virus vectors who may kill someone because 'freedom!'?
Stupid comment but at least you have abandoned your moronic attacks on our covid record. Its a step forward for you, a baby step, but Ill take it.

Get your ilk to weaqr F'ing masks, maybe fines would help eh..
Yet another ignorant comment, particularly since I addressed this in the very post you quoted. Its clear that you cant read or only read what you want to read, but masks have been mandatory in Ohio for months. Everyone is wearing them yet our infection rate has gone from 1000 per day to 2500.

Yet another ignorant comment, particularly since I addressed this in the very post you quoted. Its clear that you cant read or only read what you want to read, but masks have been mandatory in Ohio for months. Everyone is wearing them yet our infection rate has gone from 1000 per day to 2500.
How high do you imagine it would be if nobody wore masks? Nothing is 100% effective; you can still get killed if you wear a seat belt, but they are mandatory for a reason. Look up 'mitigation' and see if anything registers. You can come back with your predictable snark; I'm cool with that.

So mask wearing doesn't work?
Not if people aren't wearing them, no.

"I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that's fine with me," Kirby said. "Nobody's wearing the damned mask anyway... I'm sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I'll live through it..."

Still, Republican Gov. Brad Little has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate or limit crowd sizes beyond requiring social distancing at large events and in businesses, which is seldom enforced. Instead, Little has left it up to local health departments and school districts to make the tough decisions that sometimes come with blowback from the public.

Everyone here wears a mask and we arent a totalitarian state. Now how about you come up with an intelligent suggestion.
More sanitization? People are getting weary. When this all started I was going through hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes like mad. Not so much now that I didn't instantly drop dead. Keep doing what you're doing, but don't forget that it isn't only spread in the air. Or it might be because kids are back to school? People back at work? Restaurants and bars open? I don't know where you guys are restriction wise, but if your death/hospitalization rates rates stay low, you'll be okay.

Not if people aren't wearing them, no.

"I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that's fine with me," Kirby said. "Nobody's wearing the damned mask anyway... I'm sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I'll live through it..."

Still, Republican Gov. Brad Little has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate or limit crowd sizes beyond requiring social distancing at large events and in businesses, which is seldom enforced. Instead, Little has left it up to local health departments and school districts to make the tough decisions that sometimes come with blowback from the public.

Not if people aren't wearing them, no

Or how ineffective a Homemade mask really is?

Stupid comment but at least you have abandoned your moronic attacks on our covid record. Its a step forward for you, a baby step, but Ill take it.

If stating that "Country X" is doing better in coping with "Condition Y" than "Country Z" is is "attacking "Country Z" then I have a bit of trouble with your definitions.

<SARC>Let's take a look at just three countries and the aggregated world data:

20-10-24 zA4 - World-China-USA-Canada.JPG
We'll skip over the Chinese numbers because they aren't reliable as evrewunknoz that all Chinkeze are all liars.

As you can see, under the raving communist and incredibly bumbling so-called "leadership" of "Waterhole Fils" the Canadian death rate (5.27%) is more than double the US death rate of 2.62% and that means that the so-called "data" from Canada is nothing but a tissue of lies since with a death rate of more than double that of the US Canada must have more than double the number of deaths that the US has had (rather than the lying 9,888 it "reported").

And, of course, it is totally inconceivable that the world, which has a population that is 23 times larger than that of the US

20-10-24 A1 - G8 + CHINA COVID TABLE.JPG

would have only 5.02 times as many deaths as the US has had</SARC>.

I notice that you live in a typical American community where the population is 96.3% White, 1.0% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.4% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races (and where Hispanic or Latino of any race make up 1.3% of the population).

Or how ineffective a Homemade mask really is?
I just gave you the facts about Idaho. There was no statewide mask mandate, homemade or otherwise and apparently, according to the local commissioner who was quoted, where there was one, it wasn't being honored. That was my only point.

I just gave you the facts about Idaho. There was no statewide mask mandate, homemade or otherwise and apparently, according to the local commissioner who was quoted, where there was one, it wasn't being honored. That was my only point.

Thanks for avoiding the effectiveness of Homemade masks

I'm pretty sure he's a father. And if so he's a role model.

I was used as a "role model" when I was in the military. In fact, when I gave my retirement remarks to the other officers I specifically addressed that point in my remarks to the junior officers. I told them that if they were ever in doubt as to what to do, to stop, take a deep breath, figure out what I would do in the situation and then NOT DO IT. I have since received several expressions of thanks for that guidance.

More sanitization? People are getting weary. When this all started I was going through hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes like mad. Not so much now that I didn't instantly drop dead. Keep doing what you're doing, but don't forget that it isn't only spread in the air. Or it might be because kids are back to school? People back at work? Restaurants and bars open? I don't know where you guys are restriction wise, but if your death/hospitalization rates rates stay low, you'll be okay.

Did you know that it takes roughly 10 minutes of soaking in alcohol to actually achieve any significant disinfection?

Did you know that (WAY back in the 70s) they conducted an experiment in Sweden to test the effectiveness of the alcohol swab that is used when injections were given and found that the infection rate between "Swabbed with alcohol" and "NO swabbing at all" was statistically insignificant? (However, the control group with received a saline swab actually reported a lower level of infection [this was attributed to the likelihood that the swabbing using the saline swab was sufficient to actually remove surface grease and grime].)

Does that mean that the usual perfunctory "squirt and swipe" that most people do when using hand sanitizer does NO good at all? Nope, it does at least remove SOME of the grease and grime.

Did you know that it takes roughly 10 minutes of soaking in alcohol to actually achieve any significant disinfection?

Did you know that (WAY back in the 70s) they conducted an experiment in Sweden to test the effectiveness of the alcohol swab that is used when injections were given and found that the infection rate between "Swabbed with alcohol" and "NO swabbing at all" was statistically insignificant? (However, the control group with received a saline swab actually reported a lower level of infection [this was attributed to the likelihood that the swabbing using the saline swab was sufficient to actually remove surface grease and grime].)

Does that mean that the usual perfunctory "squirt and swipe" that most people do when using hand sanitizer does NO good at all? Nope, it does at least remove SOME of the grease and grime.
That's not what Trump's expert said on the tv the same night the drinking bleach joke started. He showed a chart showing it works in seconds.

That's not what Trump's expert said on the tv the same night the drinking bleach joke started. He showed a chart showing it works in seconds.

I'd really appreciate a link to that chart. Ethanol (70%) takes around 10 minutes of continuous contact to produce effective exposure. 2-propynol takes around 30 seconds of continuous contact to produce effective exposure. When you use hand sanitizer, do you ensure that there is lots of liquid on your hands for that long?

Back
Top Bottom