• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Count the millionaires in Congress

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From thebalance: US Military Budget, Its Components, Challenges, and Growth

Excerpt:

Estimated U.S. military spending is $934 billion. It covers the period October 1, 2020, through September 30, 2021.1 Military spending is the second-largest item in the federal budget after Social Security. This figure is more than the $705 billion outlined by the Department of Defense alone2 . The United States has many departments that support its defense. All these departments must be included to get an accurate picture of how much America spends on its military operations.
Key Takeaways
  • The federal budget’s second-largest expense category is the military. Social Security takes the largest share.
  • The military budget covers the DoD, overseas contingency operations, the VA, Homeland Security, the State Department, and many others that involve national security.
  • To reduce military costs, the DoD must reduce its civilian workforce, pay and benefits of soldiers, and its military bases around the world.
  • Military spending has been increasing both the current U.S. debt and budget deficits.

And who votes the budget created by the PotUS every year? Both parts of Congress, the HofR and Senate.

And what percentage of those two entities are millionaires?

From Wikipedia (here):
As of 2020, over half of the members of Congress were millionaires and the median net worth of members was approximately $1 million.

No further comment is necessary ...

Last edited:

Excerpt:

And who votes the budget created by the PotUS every year? Both parts of Congress, the HofR and Senate.

From Wikipedia (here):
Being a millionaire isn't what it used to be. For example, the average home price in the city closest to me (Boston) is $675k. Between home equity and retirement savings, reaching a $1m in net worth is no longer uncommon, especially for older workers.

Excerpt:

From Wikipedia (here):

I know the term "millionaire" sounds like a big deal as historically it has been. "Millionaire" would be a label that a very high percentage of reasonably successful people in the 50's and 60s would wear. It really isn't that much money in 2020 America.

In the context used in the OP, "millionaire" is portrayed "out of touch" with the America people. The reality is, unless we are talking multi-millionaires, he is very much in with the affluent middle class.

Excerpt:

From Wikipedia (here):

I'd be interested to know their net worth prior to taking office and net worth after one term. That may be a more accurate method.

Excerpt:

From Wikipedia (here):

a net worth of a million for people who have the education to be congress critters is really not all that shocking. what is shocking is how much some ex-politicians make due to their connections

Excerpt:

From Wikipedia (here):

Been saying this for years. Millionaires like Pelosi do not represent "the people" what so ever. We would be better off hiring homeless people. Congress does not represent "the people" it represents lazy money.

I know the term "millionaire" sounds like a big deal as historically it has been. "Millionaire" would be a label that a very high percentage of reasonably successful people in the 50's and 60s would wear. It really isn't that much money in 2020 America.

In the context used in the OP, "millionaire" is portrayed "out of touch" with the America people. The reality is, unless we are talking multi-millionaires, he is very much in with the affluent middle class.
Pelosi had her damn fridge filled with icecream as she talked about how hard it is for people to live in the pandemic. She has a yacht parked in an American lake that she's never paid taxes on by labeling it a foreign vessel.

Pelosi had her damn fridge filled with icecream as she talked about how hard it is for people to live in the pandemic. She has a yacht parked in an American lake that she's never paid taxes on by labeling it a foreign vessel.
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything, much less my post? One need not be poor to be a champion of issues related to the poor (see Kennedys, Roosevelts, Gates). One need not be black to stand against racism. Compassion and empathy are about understanding the struggles that you do not have. I get that Conservatives have no concept and/or zero understanding of empathy, so here is a little reading material on the subject:

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything, much less my post? One need not be poor to be a champion of issues related to the poor (see Kennedys, Roosevelts, Gates). One need not be black to stand against racism. Compassion and empathy are about understanding the struggles that you do not have.
You can only be empathetic if you don't eat ice cream.

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything, much less my post? One need not be poor to be a champion of issues related to the poor (see Kennedys, Roosevelts, Gates). One need not be black to stand against racism. Compassion and empathy are about understanding the struggles that you do not have. I get that Conservatives have no concept and/or zero understanding of empathy, so here is a little reading material on the subject:

Ya man the leader of congress showing her fridge full of ice-cream during the pandemic and going to salons when normal women cant while single moms are trying to survive and get bologna in their fridge is irrelevant. She totally represents the average person.

Ya man the leader of congress showing her fridge full of ice-cream during the pandemic and going to salons when normal women cant while single moms are trying to survive and get bologna in their fridge is irrelevant. She totally represents the average person.
You definitely should be very upset about this. HOW DARE SHE HAVE ICE CREAM DURING A PANDEMIC!

"The average age of Members of the House at the beginning of the 116th Congress was 57.6 years; of Senators, 62.9 years."

Based on this as well as your table, there seems to be nothing particularly remarkable about the average net worth of members of Congress. Indeed, it is lower than I would have expected. However the OP called out the median net worth being ~$1M; does anyone know what the mean net worth is?

visiting how many millionaires in congress7 or 9???

Eating ice cream is an ostentatious display of wealth?
Having only icecream in your fridge and eating at expensive restaurants everyday and showing your icecream on the news and pretending to be a normal American is a bit of a display of wealth. Plus the whole having a foreign yacht in an American lake for her to call her own just so she doesn't have to pay taxes for it.

This is the leader of Congress.

Having only icecream in your fridge and eating at expensive restaurants everyday and showing your icecream on the news and pretending to be a normal American is a bit of a display of wealth.

Pelosi's certainly rich but I can't get over the idea that eating ice cream (even having several pints!) is the giveaway. That's bizarre. It's ice cream, not caviar.

Pelosi's certainly rich but I can't get over the idea that eating ice cream (even having several pints!) is the giveaway. That's bizarre. It's ice cream, not caviar.
Really you dont see a pair of 24,000$ refridgerators (thats 48,000$ in case you cant add) and eating only icecream while refusing to pass paychecks to help curb people that got fired cuz of covid as a problem? And that she represents the average person as the Congress Spokeswoman? What about her owning a yacht in a foreign name in an American lake just so she doesn't have to pay the tax on it? There was people that suicided over covid loss in San Francisco and if she just gave them 1 of her extra fridges they could have sold it and kept afloat. She SHOULD NOT be the speaker of the house.

Pelosi doesnt drink acholol facebook lite on her two pages accusers.

Really you dont see a pair of 24,000$ refridgerators (thats 48,000$ in case you cant add) and eating only icecream while refusing to pass paychecks to help curb people that got fired cuz of covid as a problem?

She got $4 trillion in relief spending through, including hundreds of dollars per week in supplemental unemployment benefits for those out of work due to COVID. Let her have some ice cream.

She got $4 trillion in relief spending through, including hundreds of dollars per week in supplemental unemployment benefits for those out of work due to COVID. Let her have some ice cream.
Ya that almost makes it worse. She turned down trump's for a quarter trillion because it was close to election time and passed a bigger one after he was gone. Upperclass vs Upperclass political warfare at the cost of the lower class. SHE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE COMMON PEOPLE shes just in it for the wealth and fame and to use the position to her benefit.

Ya that almost makes it worse. She turned down trump's for a quarter trillion because it was close to election time and passed a bigger one after he was gone. Upperclass vs Upperclass political warfare at the cost of the lower class. SHE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE COMMON PEOPLE shes just in it for the wealth and fame and to use the position to her benefit.
Oh, I see, she was too generous in the relief package.

Back
Top Bottom