• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Corporate America to give out Record $1 trillion in stock buy backs

Yawn. I tire of the hypocritical rightists who insist when a dem is in office presidents have nothing to do with the economy, but now that a repub is in office, well, praise be to trump.
Which "rightists" are those?

Obscurity said:
Moreover. Wages and benefits growing? Please. They haven't grown, they have continued to stagnate and have not come close to the promised panacea the republicans told us it would be.
Are you paying any attention all at? Since Trump's tax bill was pasted companies have been raising waged, giving bonuses and expanding benefits.

Obscurity said:
Wages are stagnant. Prices are high. Everyone is working - the majority of them for corps like walmart, so the welfare state continues to hand out to the Waltons while ****ing the rest of us.
You need to refresh your mantras. Wages were up over 3.5% last year. Oh, and Walmart has expanded its benefit package to cover part-timers and also added an education benefit.

Obscurity said:
Yah, thanks Trump.
Absolutely,

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/1...es-out-a-record-1-trillion-in-stock-buybacks/

So much for "helping the middle class and struggling americans." Seems the bloviating, leaking orange anus and the republican tax plan have done precisely what I said they'd do. Skew the numbers, which show costs are increasing and wages stagnating, yet create economic boom for the 1% with their buyback options.

Bravo, conservatives. You made the rich richer and everyone else can get stuffed.

You mean that "compassionate conservatism" is just lip service? I'm so surprised.

Not really interested in 1 person's idea about one world taxing authority. If there is a wealth tax proposed in this country, I'll look at it, but don't see how practical it would be. Trump signed the Tax Cut and Jobs Act in 2018 which shifted some tax rates and certainly greatly reduced the number of people who have to itemize due to the doubling of the Standard Deduction. They also expire in 2025. The estate tax exception increased to $10M from $5M, and is indexed for inflation. It is also scheduled to go back to $5M in 2025.

No idea what you are talking about regarding property taxes and what you think it has to do with "sizeable incomes." What tax loopholes are you thinking of that apply to those with "vast real estate holdings"?

If you look at the tax laws as it relates to real estate income, it includes depreciation allowances to offset income from rents. One can also deduct expenses related to improvements. I remember reading that Trump/Kushner inflated invoices for work done on his properties by having a sister company of his do the work at highly inflated prices so that he could offset gains while keeping them inside the family. Real estate is a wonderful tax haven and income generator thanks to generous tax advantages built in to encourage home ownership and development. If one is clever, your tax liability can be minimal while you still retain all the profits. As for those with sizeable incomes, they get favorable treatment for capital gains, dividend income and writeoffs of all sorts. This is how someone like Romney could make 45 million and pay less then 15% in taxes.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/1...es-out-a-record-1-trillion-in-stock-buybacks/

So much for "helping the middle class and struggling americans." Seems the bloviating, leaking orange anus and the republican tax plan have done precisely what I said they'd do. Skew the numbers, which show costs are increasing and wages stagnating, yet create economic boom for the 1% with their buyback options.

Bravo, conservatives. You made the rich richer and everyone else can get stuffed.
Of course they did.

If you look at the tax laws as it relates to real estate income, it includes depreciation allowances to offset income from rents. One can also deduct expenses related to improvements. I remember reading that Trump/Kushner inflated invoices for work done on his properties by having a sister company of his do the work at highly inflated prices so that he could offset gains while keeping them inside the family. Real estate is a wonderful tax haven and income generator thanks to generous tax advantages built in to encourage home ownership and development. If one is clever, your tax liability can be minimal while you still retain all the profits. As for those with sizeable incomes, they get favorable treatment for capital gains, dividend income and writeoffs of all sorts. This is how someone like Romney could make 45 million and pay less then 15% in taxes.

I can debate what you read, if it isn't shared. I can't debate Romney because I'm not familiar with his tax situation. As for real estate, first you are talking about property tax which is a local tax and then jump to how the Federal Tax code treats investments, including real estate--Real estate can be good and also has its pitfalls. If you have a particular tax I'm to address, I'm happy to do so, but you, thus far, have been all over the map trying to defend your strawman about what no conservatives have said (your first post in this thread).

So what will it be?

I can debate what you read, if it isn't shared. I can't debate Romney because I'm not familiar with his tax situation. As for real estate, first you are talking about property tax which is a local tax and then jump to how the Federal Tax code treats investments, including real estate--Real estate can be good and also has its pitfalls. If you have a particular tax I'm to address, I'm happy to do so, but you, thus far, have been all over the map trying to defend your strawman about what no conservatives have said (your first post in this thread).

So what will it be?

You are purposely trying to create an argument where there is none as far as I can tell. My point about property taxes is that it is a tax upon wealth since it taxes the value of land and improvements which constitute a large portion of the available wealth. It is a state or local tax today. It could be that future national taxes include some form of property tax which would indeed tax one form of wealth. Is this clear now or do you have some other nit to pick?

You are purposely trying to create an argument where there is none as far as I can tell. My point about property taxes is that it is a tax upon wealth since it taxes the value of land and improvements which constitute a large portion of the available wealth. It is a state or local tax today. It could be that future national taxes include some form of property tax which would indeed tax one form of wealth. Is this clear now or do you have some other nit to pick?

You somewhat correct about property taxes, but locally they are intended to have most of the revenue tied to a locality proportionately divided among the land owned by each shareholder--I don't see how that point helps you make your point. However, then you keep bringing up the impact of Federal income taxes which is more related to the revenue it generates and the treatment of the property as a tangible asset.

Who are the conservatives that say the rich are better people?

You somewhat correct about property taxes, but locally they are intended to have most of the revenue tied to a locality proportionately divided among the land owned by each shareholder--I don't see how that point helps you make your point. However, then you keep bringing up the impact of Federal income taxes which is more related to the revenue it generates and the treatment of the property as a tangible asset.

Who are the conservatives that say the rich are better people?

Well, then we are trending towards agreement, my original post was too short to expand upon my point. Your last question ignores the actions of conservatives in power and what they stand for in terms of social mobility and upward mobility. A conservative does believe that wealth and the attainment of wealth is the goal of any individual engaging in a capitalist scheme. Now that is also shared by liberals as well. However, it is the conservative that showers public gifts upon the wealthy and supports judges and officials who side with the wealthy over the poor at almost every turn. It is not a stretch to state that in a conservative world, the rich are indeed the better citizen since they have won the battle in the marketplace. The very presence of a President whose only qualifications were aligned with his supposed talents to create personal wealth is all the proof I need to back my point up. Trump's only real experience was in making himself rich. He appealed to conservatives by a logical fallacy. It went like this: I can help make the nation prosper because I have made myself rich. His supporters gave him the benefit of the doubt on any number of issues because they considered him superior or his own words "People like myself are highly intelligent". He never once displayed his intelligence while campaigning nor in the debates. In fact, his ignorance was profoundly apparent to anyone listening to him. But he was rich therefore he was better.

Yes so much for Corporations using their extra money to keep jobs here or give out long overdue raises. The only ones getting raises will be the executives who receive much of their pay in stock. That is the reason for the buybacks, it benefits the already wealthy. And so it goes... our children will owe trillions more so the rich can get richer. When will this end?

It will end when the right wing of America (GOP) goes the way of the Whig party...into the dustbin of history.

Well, then we are trending towards agreement, my original post was too short to expand upon my point. Your last question ignores the actions of conservatives in power and what they stand for in terms of social mobility and upward mobility. A conservative does believe that wealth and the attainment of wealth is the goal of any individual engaging in a capitalist scheme. Now that is also shared by liberals as well. However, it is the conservative that showers public gifts upon the wealthy and supports judges and officials who side with the wealthy over the poor at almost every turn. It is not a stretch to state that in a conservative world, the rich are indeed the better citizen since they have won the battle in the marketplace. The very presence of a President whose only qualifications were aligned with his supposed talents to create personal wealth is all the proof I need to back my point up. Trump's only real experience was in making himself rich. He appealed to conservatives by a logical fallacy. It went like this: I can help make the nation prosper because I have made myself rich. His supporters gave him the benefit of the doubt on any number of issues because they considered him superior or his own words "People like myself are highly intelligent". He never once displayed his intelligence while campaigning nor in the debates. In fact, his ignorance was profoundly apparent to anyone listening to him. But he was rich therefore he was better.

I'm back at my original response: "You've constructed a very impressive strawman to beat up on. There isn't anyone saying that "rich people are the best people", but that is incidental to your wider point. "

I see a wide disparity in the wings of both major parties, and while the President feels that he can make deals with anyone, I don't believe that he qualifies as a Conservative--at least a fiscal conservative. Perhaps a social conservative in words only and only for convenience. If Republicans (you call them Conservatives) were as monolithic as you seem to think, then all sorts of legislation would have gone through, for good or ill.

I still have yet to see anyone, Conservative or otherwise, say that the rich are better people. Again, that is your strawman. Stick to the anti-Trump theme and leave it at that.

That's capitalism an economic system that enriches the few...while screwing the many.

It is not all just capitalism it is crony capitalism that derailed the American dream. We had it whipped into a system that raised all boats until Reagan and the GOP sold their souls to greed. Putting back the high tax rates on million $ incomes will go a long way towards shaming the greedy into sharing the prosperity.

2018 was the first year I did not get a raise in like 10 years and I work for a big corporation so...but I did get a nice Christmas bonus because of the tariffs!

Got a raise and a nice bonus both.

The CW is that stocks are at or near their peak price, so why are companies buying so much stock now when sell high/buy low is a law of capitalism?

Obvious Answer: Corruption.

I'm back at my original response: "You've constructed a very impressive strawman to beat up on. There isn't anyone saying that "rich people are the best people", but that is incidental to your wider point. "

I see a wide disparity in the wings of both major parties, and while the President feels that he can make deals with anyone, I don't believe that he qualifies as a Conservative--at least a fiscal conservative. Perhaps a social conservative in words only and only for convenience. If Republicans (you call them Conservatives) were as monolithic as you seem to think, then all sorts of legislation would have gone through, for good or ill.

I still have yet to see anyone, Conservative or otherwise, say that the rich are better people. Again, that is your strawman. Stick to the anti-Trump theme and leave it at that.

LOL So you haven't heard the term "Job Creators"? That makes the wealthy sound God-like and that we should worship them. That where it all went off the rails. They are the same greedy assholes that paid workers $2 a day in the 1920's and they will do that again if we let them...and that is what we have been doing for 40 years. That's 40 years without a raise. BTW The real job creators are the consumers and if you don't believe me watch what happens when consumers stop buying and everyone gets laid off.

Last edited:
LOL So you haven't heard the term "Job Creators"? That makes the wealthy sound God-like and that we should worship them. That where it all went off the rails. They are the same greedy assholes that paid workers $2 a day in the 1920's and they will do that again if we let them...and that is what we have been doing for 40 years. That's 40 years without a raise. BTW The real job creators are the consumers and if you don't believe me watch what happens when consumers stop buying and everyone gets laid off.

Your random venting landed on me again. I literally reference nothing about what you are venting about.

Back
Top Bottom