• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cops Shoot Man in Portland, OR. Protestors Gathering to Protest The Killing

AFrench2

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

One person is dead following a police shooting Friday morning at Lents Park in southeast Portland. Police said that officers received a 911 call about a man with a gun in the park around 9:30 a.m. near the intersection of Southeast 92nd Avenue and Holgate Street. Officers responded, and at some point during the interaction, less lethal and lethal force was used. The man shot was provided medical aid but ultimately, was pronounced dead at the scene. There were no immediate details available on what led up to the shooting. During an afternoon press conference on the shooting, PPB's Acting Chief Chris Davis said their investigation was still in its preliminary stages and did not have information on if the man involved had pointed a gun at officers or if a gun had been recovered at the scene.

Damn pigs, man...c'mon.

It's just amazing. The OP literally conveys the message that we don't know yet what happened, but its author cannot help but say "damn pigs."

What distinguishes "social justice" from real justice is that with "social justice" it's verdict first and due process second.

There's little to discuss until we know what happened and either support the police or oppose the use of force. I think calling the police 'pigs' absent any wrongdoing being known is wrong.

American cops have a tough job that's made even harder because guns are out of control, and many other social factors. I'm glad that people are protesting against these killings. They are one of many failures of American society.

When I talk about nonviolent weapons both liberals and conservatives say that's unrealistic.

Last edited:
When I talk about nonviolent weapons both liberals and conservatives say that's unrealistic.

I'm not sure what you're referring to - do you mean non-lethal - but I like the sound of it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to - do you mean non-lethal - but I like the sound of it.
Yeah, I like to say nonviolent because non-lethal weapons can be pretty violent and lethal.

American cops have a tough job that's made even harder because guns are out of control, and many other social factors. I'm glad that people are protesting against these killings. They are one of many failures of American society.

What do you mean by "guns are out of control"?

What do you mean by "guns are out of control"?
There isn't effective gun control and gun violence is common.

There isn't effective gun control and gun violence is common.
The reasons behind the rise in gun violence is because of covid and these defund the police protests. In the years prior to this gun violence was dropping.

As far as gun laws are concerned, its the criminals that dont abide by them, while millions of law abiding gun owners are generally responsible types.

Yeah, I like to say nonviolent because non-lethal weapons can be pretty violent and lethal.

That's true but I don't know what weapons you're talking about.

The reasons behind the rise in gun violence is because of covid and these defund the police protests. In the years prior to this gun violence was dropping.

As far as gun laws are concerned, its the criminals that dont abide by them, while millions of law abiding gun owners are generally responsible types.
What makes you think that protests against police violence is a cause of more gun violence?

It doesn't matter how many law-abiding gun owners there are when there's ineffective gun control and gun violence is common. It's kind of like saying "Most people aren't rapists and murderers."

Crazy guy waving gun at park: "Why did the police shoot him?" - democrats

Crazy guy shoots person at park: "Why didn't the police shoot him?" - democrats

Even if the decline in gun violence you mention is true, we have more guns than any other country, more gun deaths than our allies, and by far more criminals in jail than other countries.
Move along, nothing to see here.

That's true but I don't know what weapons you're talking about.
I'm not talking about any known nor specific nonviolent weapons, I'm talking about the idea. It seems that with all of the technical advances that have been made, effective nonviolent weapons could be made. Are humans going to always use barbaric weapons? I suppose 'bad people' will. But do the 'good people' have to use barbaric weapons?

I think humanity should stop manufacturing guns. We already have too many; they just keep on churning out more death machinery.

We have monumental environmental problems that needed to be taken seriously decades ago. But we're wasting time, energy, and resources on the bigger gun problem, which is very related to the domestic gun problems, US militarism.

Crazy guy waving gun at park: "Why did the police shoot him?" - democrats

Crazy guy shoots person at park: "Why didn't the police shoot him?" - democrats
Crazy guy waving gun at park: "Why didn't the police shoot him?" -Repubs

Crazy guy shoots person at park: "Guns are not the problem". - Repubs

Crazy guy kills children: "What we need are more guns in society' - Repubs

Americans, progressives mainly, need to start protesting in favor of the victims instead of these POS violent druggy thugs. According to progressives, police brutality is out of control. If that be the case, then one might think there were a LOT of innocent people out there who are getting shot by the police. But seems like every one of these rioters are rioting for someone who had a gun, committed violence against someone else, were on hard drugs or were thieves.

I'm 100% against bad cops. But I'm only about 25% against a bad cop when he kills a violent druggy thug.

Crazy guy waving gun at park: "Why didn't the police shoot him?" -Repubs

Crazy guy shoots person at park: "Guns are not the problem". - Repubs

Crazy guy kills children: "What we need are more guns in society' - Repubs
Good question. Crazy guy with a gun at park needs to be shot.
Gun's aren't the problem. It's the crazy people with a gun. Gun's don't shoot themselves.
If there were more decent people with guns, then crazy guy with a gun would get shot before he kills a child.

Less guns means less gun violence. On that I agree. But until they take the guns from the George Floyds and the Danute Wrights, then don't even think about me giving up mine.

There is no such thing as a non-violent weapon.

Good question. Crazy guy with a gun at park needs to be shot.
Gun's aren't the problem. It's the crazy people with a gun. Gun's don't shoot themselves.
If there were more decent people with guns, then crazy guy with a gun would get shot before he kills a child.

Less guns means less gun violence. On that I agree. But until they take the guns from the George Floyds and the Danute Wrights, then don't even think about me giving up mine.
I just read a couple of your other posts too... good stuff, I agree. 👍

Back
Top Bottom