• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cop Reprisal ... like a butthurt snowflake.

The people saying those things always seem to have that bastardized flag and maybe a punisher skull bumpersticker on their rear windows.

Which, I might add, won't help people dodge tickets even a bit. The one thing the cop mind truly despises is a holster-sniffer.

BTW, I'm not so sure you're right about this.

IMO, the cop saw the blue line sticker and because of it, decided to cut him a break.
Once he was offended by the filming, he changed his tune.

No, patrolling is driving around or walking around. They will sit there and set up shop watching for people who don't obey the traffic laws. That's baiting as much as the legal activity of auditors is.

What would you suggest?

How is this baiting?

How is this baiting?

Depends on how you define baiting, I suppose. IMO, baiting could be defined as doing a legal activity to try to catch someone breaking the law.

A cop sitting on the side of the road to catch people in a school zone is perfectly legal. The cops aren't making anyone do anything. They are just catching people who are breaking the law.
A "auditor" flipping off a cop is doing something perfectly legal. The "auditor" isn't making the cop do anything. He is just catching cops who are breaking the law.

But, IMO, you could argue that both are baiting, or neither are.

I guess the real question is how do you define one as baiting, but the other isn't?

I believe it's a real safety concern. And the only way that most bad cops are actually held accountable.

I'm 100% with you here. Every police initiated contact should be video'd, if at all possible.

You're involved in a legal inquiry that can have negative legal consequences. I don't see how anyone cannot believe it's prudent to have a record of the encounter?

Depends on how you define baiting, I suppose. IMO, baiting could be defined as doing a legal activity to try to catch someone breaking the law.

That's not baiting. That's law enforcement, it's what we pay the good coppers to do.

Now "stings", yeah I have a problem with those. That's beyond baiting!

A cop sitting on the side of the road to catch people in a school zone is perfectly legal. The cops aren't making anyone do anything. They are just catching people who are breaking the law.
A "auditor" flipping off a cop is doing something perfectly legal. The "auditor" isn't making the cop do anything. He is just catching cops who are breaking the law.

Yeah, the driver was a class 'A' a-hole - alright.

But, IMO, you could argue that both are baiting, or neither are.

I guess the real question is how do you define one as baiting, but the other isn't?

I don't believe the cop is "baiting" at all. He's retaliating & looking for retribution.

All I can say is this: Coming from a "cops & fireman" blue-collar politically connected neighborhood, I early in life decided I wouldn't want to be a cop like some of our neighbors & my buddies that went on the become one (God Bless 'Em!).

This video is one more reason in a whole litany since those early days, convincing me I made the right choice! Damn, I wouldn't want have to put up with this crap every damn day!

No, patrolling is driving around or walking around. They will sit there and set up shop watching for people who don't obey the traffic laws. That's baiting as much as the legal activity of auditors is.

What would you suggest?

In police charters, patrolling does not require movement.

I'm 100% with you here. Every police initiated contact should be video'd, if at all possible.

You're involved in a legal inquiry that can have negative legal consequences. I don't see how anyone cannot believe it's prudent to have a record of the encounter?

I have always been in favor of 100% body cam requirements, with an alarm going off if a bodycam becomes "disabled".

To all of you that are here supporting the asshole "auditor", if I'm on a traffic stop and some asshole drives by and yells at me I'm going to assume that they're intoxicated and, in the interest of public safety, will find a reason to pull them over. If, after I pull them over, the asshole rolls up his window I'm going to assume that he's attempting to obstruct my investigation into whether he's intoxicated or not. If, instead of continuing his assholery, he pulls over and is the least bit contrite (and I don't notice any other signs of intoxication) he'll be admonished for being a douchebag and go on his way. We're all human and we all do stupid shit from time to time but the job of "professional asshole" can make for some long and unsatisfying days.
I wasn't aware you were a street monster.

I have always been in favor of 100% body cam requirements, with an alarm going off if a bodycam becomes "disabled".

In my opinion body cams are probably the best thing that happened in law enforcement, along with personal video technology (cell phones, dash cams, building cams).

But straight-up, I can see the possible conflicts - like when entering a private residence.

But every one of us needs to be cognizant we can be filmed everywhere & anywhere, and we need to conduct ourselves as such. I'm still taken back by it & wary of it, but I must admit it makes for a more polite & law abiding society.

In recent years I diffused two escalating public situations by simply displaying me cell phone, believe it or not? One was escalating vehicular road rage, the other was an erratic confrontational pedestrian who - not joking - stepped in front of my car to confront me!

Yeah, I don't trust the police to keep their body cameras on, release the footage, not to edit the footage, keep the sound on, not accidentally "destroy" the footage, etc, etc, etc.

There's also a problem with the camera perspective. I saw a video of a guy being arrested in his truck. The dash cam was on the truck from behind and you could see a confrontation between the officer and the driver and the cop yelling "stop resisting". The guy was pretty much screwed until they found the dash cam of another cop car that came in from the front. That one showed the cop beating up the driver yelling "stop resisting" while the driver held still with his hands up.

The same can happen with a body camera. I've seen shots where it looks like a fight between an officer and a citizen...but in fact, they were just dancing.

Hell, the George Floyd murder partially hinged on the footage taken by Darnella Frazier who showed that Derek Chauvin lifted his leg off the ground to put additional pressure on Floyd's neck. That wouldn't be captured by a body camera.

I agree that body cameras for cops are a good thing. I just don't think they are enough. Take your own footage. Always.

I think you are mixing up your responses.

Nah...I know you claim to be a police officer, and I have lot of respect for what you say (even if we don't always agree). It sounded to me that Lutherf was claiming to be one, too. From what he said and I quoted, I don't have a lot of respect for his opinions.

I really doubt they do.

I used it as a figure of speech, but while you're technically right - they put up with a ton of crap. And it's not just from the truly bad fuggers.

My heart went out to them when I saw the crap they had to take during the summer BLM riots. I saw them have to stand down in situations that were simply disgusting.

Check-out what they went through starting at 0:40 ff:

I used it as a figure of speech, but while you're technically right - they put up with a ton of crap. And it's not just from the truly bad fuggers.

My heart went out to them when I saw the crap they had to take during the summer BLM riots. I saw them have to stand down in situations that were simply disgusting.

Check-out what they went through starting at 0:40 ff:

Yeah. That sucks.

Maybe not as much as being black in the American police state, though. I think the BLM riots were the exception, not the norm. Driving while black?

Yeah. That sucks.

Maybe not as much as being black in the American police state, though. I think the BLM riots were the exception, not the norm. Driving while black?

No doubt the issue absolutely has to be addressed. Without doubt. I do think we're finally making some slight progress, in that we're starting to see criminal convictions. That's a huge step forward.

But to see those cops ordered to stand-down while being pelted by bricks, stones, bottles, fireworks, requiring them to cower behind the statue, is pretty disgusting.

It's a far cry from '68 - one extreme to another!

Nah...I know you claim to be a police officer, and I have lot of respect for what you say (even if we don't always agree). It sounded to me that Lutherf was claiming to be one, too. From what he said and I quoted, I don't have a lot of respect for his opinions.
If @Lutherf is a cop in the Tucson area, he probably knows @Luce in real life.

Back
Top Bottom