• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative Leader Abbott Sweeps into Power in Australian Elections.....

I was going to mention this, but I got sidetracked with other stuff :)

photo-Crocodile-Dundee-II-1988-1.jpg

shades.gif
.....:2razz:

It's not Aussie style and for the purpose of this excercise i probably should point out that it's prawns and we don't throw them on the barbie.

Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for on that :lol:

Yeah, and Cheech Marin just couldn't get the accent down. :lol:

I would luv to go to Australia.....use to know somebody that lived in Melbourne. Always wanted to see what Sidney looked like. How all lived down unda. I doubt I ever will get to see the place.

So how do the Aussies feel about those US Marines that were put down there?

And it begins... 1 woman in his cabinet, and putting the military in charge of fending off refugees and illegal immigrants.. at sea..

Well Australia is a Conservative country so no surprise, I guess we will have wait another decade to see gay rights.

Another decade before the already faltering social collapse of Australia you mean?

Another decade before the already faltering social collapse of Australia you mean?

Those whose own countries are facing collapse never hesitate to offer their advice to successful countries.

They remain irony free.

Those whose own countries are facing collapse never hesitate to offer their advice to successful countries.

They remain irony free.

That's true. However a country can look perfectly successful from the outside with a dead and withering society inside.

That's true. However a country can look perfectly successful from the outside with a dead and withering society inside.

That's certainly not the case in Australia. Cuba and North Korea are countries that would be closer to the mark.

That's certainly not the case in Australia. Cuba and North Korea are countries that would be closer to the mark.

I'd say Australia isn't far off with the growing support for homosexuality

Opposition to gay/lesbian folk has rapidly faded - rapid by the time frame for significant social reform. So say the last forty years.

And it is IMO very much a generational issue. Two drivers for homophobia as I see the situation are traditional homophobia in the general culture - which in the main has low to zero religious influence - and naturally old fashioned religious bigotry from the holy book literalists. (Christian I know - a mix of inclusives and excluders. Islamic still a minority - disproportionately powerful in politics naturally but not in my sphere of knowledge)

Religion is a distant memory - of no relevance to most people of the age of my kids (~40) other than those with strong family traditions and most of them seem to be losing out. Most kids of the age of my grandkids (5,6,6,7) wouldn't see the inside of a church other than formalities of hatches/matches/dispatches and all of those declining in popularity. Civil celebration for all three gaining ground. I have no numbers but the trend is there to see.

So give it another generation and there will be very little anti-homosexual bigotry in the general culture. And religion of the hate gays type will have lost a lot more ground so possibly religion driven antipathy a generation behind the general population culture. We do have religious schools - one local one which actually teaches creation "science" but they only get to a small proportion of the population. It isn't as hot an issue as in US but the (slight) downside is we don't have the same constitutional provisions and/or no interest in trying it out at law. No Kitzmiller v Dover equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom