• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coming soon to a neighborhoob near you?

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Man arrested after cops hauled away arsenal of rifles from his Queens home

Cops raiding a Queens home Thursday found a small arsenal of guns and ammo.

Officers hauled off 16 rifles, a crossbow and 13,000 rounds of ammunition around 9:34 a.m. from the Queens Village house of Keith Harvey, 44, a contractor.

There isn't a lot of additional information in the article but it appears that Mr. Harvy's crime was simple possession of firearms deemed illegal in NY.

Looks like there's a PS90 there with a can. If he purchased it legally the can, at any rate, would have been known to law enforcement.

It looks like at least two of the rifles are air rifles. Nothing in that collection looks particularly exotic.

Anyway, if his only crime was not registering the firearms with the state then this should be a serious wake up call for what "common sense" gun control is all about. Nothing in the article says the guy had a history of violence. Nothing in the article says he has a history of mental illness. Nothing says he was selling arms without a license. If he did any of that then I can understand, to some extent, where the cops are coming from. If, however, his only crime was owning firearms....that's just plain wrong.

There isn't a lot of additional information in the article but it appears that Mr. Harvy's crime was simple possession of firearms deemed illegal in NY.

Looks like there's a PS90 there with a can. If he purchased it legally the can, at any rate, would have been known to law enforcement.

It looks like at least two of the rifles are air rifles. Nothing in that collection looks particularly exotic.

Anyway, if his only crime was not registering the firearms with the state then this should be a serious wake up call for what "common sense" gun control is all about. Nothing in the article says the guy had a history of violence. Nothing in the article says he has a history of mental illness. Nothing says he was selling arms without a license. If he did any of that then I can understand, to some extent, where the cops are coming from. If, however, his only crime was owning firearms....that's just plain wrong.

The law is the law. If the people don't like it, they can change it. What do you want the police to do, not enforce the law?

This is going to end badly. Someone is going to take umbrage, and the cops are going to bear the brunt.

The law is the law. If the people don't like it, they can change it. What do you want the police to do, not enforce the law?

The is the law, is the law you are correct, but apparently New York officials cant read, because the second amendment is quite clear on the matter of weapons ownership and use, it shall NOT be infringed. That is THE law of the land. Period. The cops doing this quite frankly, are ****ing stupid. This is asking to run into a buzz saw.

The is the law, is the law you are correct, but apparently New York officials cant read, because the second amendment is quite clear on the matter of weapons ownership and use, it shall NOT be infringed. That is THE law of the land. Period.

Nope, no period.

I am afraid you have misunderstood The Second Amendment, or have just been watching too much Fox News. That is not my personal opinion. That is the opinion of justice Antonin Scalia and the conservative majority of SCOTUS justices in the Heller vs. DC Supreme Court decision.

“Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”
-Chief Justice Antonin Scalia, opinion in Heller vs. DC decision

Which makes sense. Can you imagine any crazy person being able to carry any crazy weapon he/she wanted in any crazy old place they wanted? It would be pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
Uh, yeah, that's kind of how the law works. It was his responsibility to know what firearms are legal in New York State.

Anyway, if his only crime was not registering the firearms with the state then this should be a serious wake up call for what "common sense" gun control is all about.
Whatever, dude. He had illegal firearms; he had a responsibility to know the law; and last I checked, there is no "Good Guy" exception to our laws.

A law which criminalizes the exercise of a Constitutionally protected right by an otherwise law abiding citizen is COMPLETELY unacceptable. Reasonable people should understand that. They should also understand that criminalizing the exercise of one right could easily lead to the criminalizing of other rights. If, and I don't know all the facts in this case, the only crime this guy committed was not registering the firearms I suspect there will be a significant backlash not just in New York but everywhere that "common sense" rules are being promoted by elected officials and candidates for office.

Uh, yeah, that's kind of how the law works. It was his responsibility to know what firearms are legal in New York State.

Whatever, dude. He had illegal firearms; he had a responsibility to know the law; and last I checked, there is no "Good Guy" exception to our laws.

"Nobody is coming for your guns."

Yeah, let's arrest this guy and ignore the 30,000 felons who lied on the Form 4473 trying to buy a gun every year. Priorities, you know.

you mean like illegal immigration

those laws?

A law which criminalizes the exercise of a Constitutionally protected right by an otherwise law abiding citizen is COMPLETELY unacceptable. Reasonable people should understand that. They should also understand that criminalizing the exercise of one right could easily lead to the criminalizing of other rights. If, and I don't know all the facts in this case, the only crime this guy committed was not registering the firearms I suspect there will be a significant backlash not just in New York but everywhere that "common sense" rules are being promoted by elected officials and candidates for office.

This is assuming that there should never be any limits to any kind of weapons civilians can carry under the second amendment. As I quoted Justice Scalia above, that is an incorrect assumption. I can understand how, if you didn't know that, you would be so outraged and upset and ready for some backlash. But really, no reasonable person thinks that any crazy person can or should own their own Apache attack helicopters armed with live weapons, or their second amendment is under siege.

I have to wonder what the wording is on the particular law he is charged with violating?
If this is based on New York's SAFE Act, They would have to prove that the weapons were not owned before 2013.

how about not making bad laws in the first place? Which is the point that lutherf was making.

how about not making bad laws in the first place? Which is the point that lutherf was making.

That would be in violation of the mantra that all gun control laws are good laws.

This is assuming that there should never be any limits to any kind of weapons civilians can carry under the second amendment. As I quoted Justice Scalia above, that is an incorrect assumption. I can understand how, if you didn't know that, you would be so outraged and upset and ready for some backlash. But really, no reasonable person thinks that any crazy person can or should own their own Apache attack helicopters armed with live weapons, or their second amendment is under siege.

Did you see an Apache loaded down with Hellfires in that photo? There was nothing in that photo which was uncommon.

Nope, no period.

I am afraid you have misunderstood The Second Amendment, or have just been watching too much Fox News. That is not my personal opinion. That is the opinion of justice Antonin Scalia and the conservative majority of SCOTUS justices in the Heller vs. DC Supreme Court decision.

Which makes sense. Can you imagine any crazy person being able to carry any crazy weapon he/she wanted in any crazy old place they wanted? It would be pretty ridiculous.

Scalia and et al are were illiterate boobs because until the 20th century around 1934 or so you could own or carry pretty much what you wanted. Any English teacher can break down that sentence and come up with the exact same meaning as any other English teacher, bottom line the right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed. There is no nuance whatsoever. Its plain and clear with NO exceptions. The people in the black robes apparently are illiterate.

In the constitution there is a clause for congress being able issue Letters of Marque and Reprisal which were used by privateers and mercenaries to hunt down either a countries ships or a particular group for fun and profit. When the constitution was signed the private citizens of this country had more naval and land artillery than the US government did. Hell the citizenry out gunned the military of the time by a wide margin both in quantity of arms and quality, not to mention destructive potential. Wasn't very ridiculous notion then either.

Yep.. which goes to show just how stupid and irresponsible such a law is. If you are spending police efforts locking up people who are not dangerous or violent and have committed no harm to anyone.. including themselves..

that law does not make sense.

Did you see an Apache loaded down with Hellfires in that photo? There was nothing in that photo which was uncommon.

Just making a point. It seemed like you were trying to suggest that any gun control or infringement on any arms is unconstitutional. I was just pointing out that with modern weapons technology, a line has to be drawn SOMEWHERE. It seems we agree with attack helicopters. So the state of NY has chosen to draw the line at some arbitrary place. If the people of the state don't like it, they can erase it and draw it somewhere else. But the argument that the 2nd A means no lines should ever be drawn is, I think you agree, ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yep.. which goes to show just how stupid and irresponsible such a law is. If you are spending police efforts locking up people who are not dangerous or violent and have committed no harm to anyone.. including themselves..

that law does not make sense.

There are lots of laws like that. Some cars are not street legal. People found owning and driving them will be locked up, even if they are not dangerous or violent and have committed no harm to anyone.

Though the article doesn't say one way or another I will note that NYC, unlike the rest of the state, requires a permit to possess long guns. NYS does outlaw so called "assault weapons" and magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Just another reason New York is a ****hole, once you leave the tourist traps. I have family there and know, never seen a place get so ****ed up as Brentwood Long Island has, It was a really nice place in the 70-80's.

Thankfully, I don't see Michigan passing any laws like that.

Just another reason New York is a ****hole, once you leave the tourist traps. I have family there and know, never seen a place get so ****ed up as Brentwood Long Island has, It was a really nice place in the 70-80's.

Thankfully, I don't see Michigan passing any laws like that.

Brentwood isn't particularly screwed up. I have friends who live there. There are far worse neighborhoods on LI and in just about every major city.

And some people wonder why gun owners don't want them registered or otherwise documented. All it takes is a change in laws and they come for them

Sure, you mean like the bad laws about drug use and possession?

Back
Top Bottom