• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colleagues worry Dianne Feinstein is now mentally unfit to serve, citing recent interactions

I think it's right to worry about governing the country. I worry about Feinstien, Biden, Trump, and everyone on this list...

I think when this generation is judged it's biggest faults will be their addiction to power, their various laws designed to keep incumbents in power, and their inability to make room for the next generation.
Yeah thats my biggest complaint about this generation of politicians.

I don’t think the founders envisioned professional politicians.

I would agree that there needs to be an age cap in all parts of government, Senate, Congress, Supreme Court and the Executive office. No older than 75 and a mental acuity test required if you are older than that. People in their old age are supposed to enjoy those golden years, not work through them.
America notoriously doesn't respect it's elderly citizens. I believe some of our youngest members of congress are the craziest.

Did they think that they would do the work of the country for free? Did they?
Tell me that you did not understand my post without saying that you didn’t understand my post.

Tell me that you did not understand my post without saying that you didn’t understand my post.
Yeah you're saying that the founders weren't professional Politicians. I laugh...😄😃😀

Dignity, we must find it somewhere in our hearts.
It’s not dignified to wait for an 88 year old dementia patient to have a meltdown during a committee hearing before she’s removed from office. But maybe it’s what America needs to see to motivate them to make their government less geriatric.

Limit terms to 2 for all elected offices, and eliminate pensions for elected politicians.
Term limits could possibly eliminate making decisions based on an upcoming election. No need to pander, doing what is right instead of holding a wet finger into the wind.

I understood your post, you seem to have missed my point, that many if not most of the founders were professional pols. Did you think they were Amateurs?

I understood your post, you seem to have missed my point, that many if not most of the founders were professional pols. Did you think they were Amateurs?
At the rate of $ 6 per diem, they could hardly be there for the money, The founders were principally farmers, lawyers and merchants among other professions.

Where did the founders cut their teeth? I opine that they were amateurs.

The founders lived during a time when nobody lived long enough to get dementia.

Very good point. They were lucky to see their 40th birthdays back then. And at the age of 70 those who survived would have been very worn down and aged.

At the rate of $ 6 per diem, they could hardly be there for the money, The founders were principally farmers, lawyers and merchants among other professions.

Where did the founders cut their teeth? I opine that they were amateurs.
You forgot Plantation owners i.e. slave owners. They cut their teeth in fermenting & carrying out a Revolution. Many severed more than one term. Seems you have a rather narrow definition of politician.
Was Mandella a politician before he was elected President of S.Africa?
p.s. $6 a day was decent money, back then, in the 1950's $8 a day was typical blue collar, unskilled laborers pay.

You forgot Plantation owners i.e. slave owners. They cut their teeth in fermenting & carrying out a Revolution. Many severed more than one term. Seems you have a rather narrow definition of politician.
Was Mandella a politician before he was elected President of S.Africa?
p.s. $6 a day was decent money, back then, in the 1950's $8 a day was typical blue collar, unskilled laborers pay.
*foment*

fermenting may explain a few things……;)

Last edited:
It’s not dignified to wait for an 88 year old dementia patient to have a meltdown during a committee hearing before she’s removed from office. But maybe it’s what America needs to see to motivate them to make their government less geriatric.
Well, 75 year-old Trump's gone, so I guess that's a start.

America notoriously doesn't respect it's elderly citizens. I believe some of our youngest members of congress are the craziest.
Perhaps that's true, but dementia affects your ability to make a range of decisions and can progress slowly or insanely fast. A neighbor and friend lost his wife to Alzheimers. We watch her slowly fade away. I'd sit with her and play old gospel music on you tube in her final year of life. She'd smile but she no longer could respond to anyone or walk or care for herself. She was a fantastic person and incredibly beautiful and charming. Her 2 sons were educated at Harvard. If a leader has compromised decision making ability we need to know and it's far more common the older a person is.

Perhaps that's true, but dementia affects your ability to make a range of decisions and can progress slowly or insanely fast. A neighbor and friend lost his wife to Alzheimers. We watch her slowly fade away. I'd sit with her and play old gospel music on you tube in her final year of life. She'd smile but she no longer could respond to anyone or walk or care for herself. She was a fantastic person and incredibly beautiful and charming. Her 2 sons were educated at Harvard. If a leader has compromised decision making ability we need to know and it's far more common the older a person is.
Does it matter as long as it doesn't affect her voting on issues?

This is not a gloating or a dunking thread. This is just to make people aware of what is apparently going on with Senator Dianne Feinstein. She's been in office for a very long time and has been a major part of the Senate with her important committee leadership positions. I hope she's okay. And, hopefully, her staff will eventually come clean in regards to her mental state. It's probably time for her to move on. Her seat would obviously be replaced by a Democrat so there would be no shakeup in Congress. However, the Senate will not be the same without her.

Dementia runs in my family. It's not something to mock or to be disrespectful about. Please keep responses respectful.
thanks for this slant on the topic
i had seen very recent mention that she was being pushed to resign
but that article highlighted the ability for the appointment of a replacement for her two remaining years, to create an incumbent for the next term election
possibly that was a smokescreen to avoid publicizing the actual reason
have never been a fan; would be a good opportunity to place some new blood in that senate seat

I don't agree with much of Senator Feinstein politics, but I do think she has long served her constituency and her nation well.

So well in fact that I don't really mind her hanging around in Congress in her seat until she passes, if that is her goal. FDR and Reagan were not really altogether in the ends of their terms, by all accounts FDR's wife was running the nation. No ill came of it, so as long as Senator Feinstein's staff can manage her seat and her constituency understands the situation, I see no reason her life well served should not end without her seat intact.

We owe her that honor, the State funeral, even if it means senior members of her staff are really running the show.
problem is, we did not elect her staff to serve in the senate
a similar situation existed with strom thurmond, who served until he died at 100. he had the best staff in the senate at the time. fortunately

Sen. Feinstein has expressed surprise over the story, claiming the anonymous sources are mistaken. I'll add that it could be character assassination, with a tiny majority in the Senate. I don't know how long it takes yo replace a Sen. as it's up to the Governor. Days, weeks, hours?
Also, if working with diminished capacity, she should step down. Again, my Dad remained sharp until his dying day at 95.

Back
Top Bottom