• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN Coming out of the Closet?

i watched fox for years; it isn't news. it is confirmation bias for Republicans and conservatives. they cherry pick stories that reinforce right wing views. they are a superior MSNBC for the right. MSNBC sucks even as liberal entertainment.

CNN is being sucked into the whole joke news thing, and it makes me sad. they are still the best to watch for live coverage, but the opinion thing is taking up more and more of the broadcast. it's like watching the history channel or A&E go down the tubes, only this is even worse.

the saddest part of all is that fox exists because enough people don't want their preexisting bias challenged. MSNBC exists for exactly the same reason. even the nightly newscasts are being pulled in that direction. as Americans, we've lost some of our intellectual curiosity. it has become more "go team," and both of the teams really suck.

i'm not lambasting you for watching fox. just realize and understand what you're watching. they aren't some bastion of fairness against an evil mainstream media. they are selling confirmation bias, and sales are good. get your information from a wide variety of sources.

as for the rest of the post, i watched Dobbs until he went Glenn Beck. i also listened to Glenn Beck's radio program until he Glenn Becked himself into utter nutbaggery i completely agree that CNN should get back to its roots. unfortunately not enough people want that. they want opinion shows and selective news excoriating "those evil conservatives / liberals."

Overview
>" In 2012, a continued erosion of news reporting resources converged with growing opportunities for those in politics, government agencies, companies and others to take their messages directly to the public.

Signs of the shrinking reporting power are documented throughout this year’s report. Estimates for newspaper newsroom cutbacks in 2012 put the industry down 30% since 2000 and below 40,000 full-time professional employees for the first time since 1978. In local TV, our special content report reveals, sports, weather and traffic now account on average for 40% of the content produced on the newscasts studied while story lengths shrink. On CNN, the cable channel that has branded itself around deep reporting, produced story packages were cut nearly in half from 2007 to 2012. Across the three cable channels, coverage of live events and live reports during the day, which often require a crew and correspondent, fell 30% from 2007 to 2012 while interview segments, which tend to take fewer resources and can be scheduled in advance, were up 31%. Time magazine, the only major print news weekly left standing, cut roughly 5% of its staff in early 2013 as a part of broader company layoffs. And in African-American news media, the Chicago Defender has winnowed its editorial staff to just four while The Afro cut back the number of pages in its papers from 28-32 in 2008 to around 16-20 in 2012. A growing list of media outlets, such as Forbes magazine, use technology by a company called Narrative Science to produce content by way of algorithm, no human reporting necessary. And some of the newer nonprofit entrants into the industry, such as the Chicago News Cooperative, have, after launching with much fanfare, shut their doors..."<

Overview | State of the Media

Cable: A Growing Medium Reaching its Ceiling

>" Cable news continues to operate with more stability than most other news sectors today. But financial growth tapered off in 2012, and audience figures started to show signs of languishing—at least raising the question of whether there is a ceiling for this niche news genre.

The three main news channels—CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC—saw a less positive revenue picture than in years past. Fox and MSNBC continued to grow both total revenues and profits in 2012, but at slower rates. Total revenues at CNN, meanwhile, were flat and for the second time in three years the channel’s cash flow decreased.

The total day and prime-time viewership inched only slightly upward in 2012, an election- year gain that paled in comparison to the audience growth that occurred during the previous presidential race. Individually, MSNBC saw the greatest audience gains and for the first time, surpassed CNN in two key ratings metrics, daytime and total day viewership.

There were more signs in 2012 that CNN’s continued ratings woes were impacting the channel financially. In addition to declines in ad revenue, subscriber revenue—which has accounted for a bigger slice of CNN’s revenue pie in recent years —also grew at a weaker rate. While CNN has been a leader online, with a strong audience and a slate of digital products and experiments under its belt, that has yet to translate into a cash cow. Digital sales and advertising account for about 10% of CNN Worldwide’s total revenue, which includes its sibling cable channel, HLN.1 And though the hiring of former NBCUniversal chief Jeff Zucker to head CNN Worldwide signals an opportunity for CNN to reset its trajectory, it will still be a big challenge to turn CNN’s brand of straight news and global reporting back into a cable success story..."<

Fox News Channel

>" Though there was strikingly little change in program hosts across cable news over all in 2012, that was especially true at Fox. The conservative news channel’s prime-time lineup remained the same as it has for years, and there were also no notable changes during the daytime hours. Fox renewed the contract of its political news anchor Brett Baier through the 2016 election, as well as the contracts of Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity.28

Fox arguably has little incentive to tinker with a lineup that consistently delivered more viewers, revenue and cash flow than CNN or MSNBC combined..."<

Cable: A Growing Medium Reaching its Ceiling | State of the Media

1-On-MSNBC-Opinion-Dominates-Reporting.png

Pew Study Finds MSNBC the Most Opinionated Cable News Channel By Far - Forbes

Overview
>" In 2012, a continued erosion of news reporting resources converged with growing opportunities for those in politics, government agencies, companies and others to take their messages directly to the public.

Signs of the shrinking reporting power are documented throughout this year’s report. Estimates for newspaper newsroom cutbacks in 2012 put the industry down 30% since 2000 and below 40,000 full-time professional employees for the first time since 1978. In local TV, our special content report reveals, sports, weather and traffic now account on average for 40% of the content produced on the newscasts studied while story lengths shrink. On CNN, the cable channel that has branded itself around deep reporting, produced story packages were cut nearly in half from 2007 to 2012. Across the three cable channels, coverage of live events and live reports during the day, which often require a crew and correspondent, fell 30% from 2007 to 2012 while interview segments, which tend to take fewer resources and can be scheduled in advance, were up 31%. Time magazine, the only major print news weekly left standing, cut roughly 5% of its staff in early 2013 as a part of broader company layoffs. And in African-American news media, the Chicago Defender has winnowed its editorial staff to just four while The Afro cut back the number of pages in its papers from 28-32 in 2008 to around 16-20 in 2012. A growing list of media outlets, such as Forbes magazine, use technology by a company called Narrative Science to produce content by way of algorithm, no human reporting necessary. And some of the newer nonprofit entrants into the industry, such as the Chicago News Cooperative, have, after launching with much fanfare, shut their doors..."<

>" Cable news continues to operate with more stability than most other news sectors today. But financial growth tapered off in 2012, and audience figures started to show signs of languishing—at least raising the question of whether there is a ceiling for this niche news genre.

The three main news channels—CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC—saw a less positive revenue picture than in years past. Fox and MSNBC continued to grow both total revenues and profits in 2012, but at slower rates. Total revenues at CNN, meanwhile, were flat and for the second time in three years the channel’s cash flow decreased.

The total day and prime-time viewership inched only slightly upward in 2012, an election- year gain that paled in comparison to the audience growth that occurred during the previous presidential race. Individually, MSNBC saw the greatest audience gains and for the first time, surpassed CNN in two key ratings metrics, daytime and total day viewership.

There were more signs in 2012 that CNN’s continued ratings woes were impacting the channel financially. In addition to declines in ad revenue, subscriber revenue—which has accounted for a bigger slice of CNN’s revenue pie in recent years —also grew at a weaker rate. While CNN has been a leader online, with a strong audience and a slate of digital products and experiments under its belt, that has yet to translate into a cash cow. Digital sales and advertising account for about 10% of CNN Worldwide’s total revenue, which includes its sibling cable channel, HLN.1 And though the hiring of former NBCUniversal chief Jeff Zucker to head CNN Worldwide signals an opportunity for CNN to reset its trajectory, it will still be a big challenge to turn CNN’s brand of straight news and global reporting back into a cable success story..."<

Fox News Channel

>" Though there was strikingly little change in program hosts across cable news over all in 2012, that was especially true at Fox. The conservative news channel’s prime-time lineup remained the same as it has for years, and there were also no notable changes during the daytime hours. Fox renewed the contract of its political news anchor Brett Baier through the 2016 election, as well as the contracts of Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity.28

Fox arguably has little incentive to tinker with a lineup that consistently delivered more viewers, revenue and cash flow than CNN or MSNBC combined..."<

View attachment 67159955

MSNBC is a useless collection of liberal talk shows and celebrity prison sex. fox cherry picks stories to stir up and excite conservatives.

both are nearly worthless, but i'll agree with you : MSNBC loses the costume contest. Dr. Nancy was the only good show i ever saw on that network. she whipped the **** out of idiot anti-vaxer woo woos. her show was, of course, cancelled.

still, fox is designed to tell you what you want to hear. take the red pill.

to start, here's a good news gateway. gives you every story and pretty much every slant :

https://news.google.com/

after that, check out tune in radio :

TuneIn: Listen to Online Radio, Music and Talk Stations

use that to listen to some non-American news sources. gives you a chance to look in from outside the fishbowl. plus, it covers every single radio station that streams, which includes most of them, plus podcasts. Stuff You Should Know rules the barren earth.

There's nothing wrong with getting your news from a viewpoint that you agree with. Most of the bias you see isn't the flamethrowers who are obvious demagogues, its the decisions on what they decide to cover. The current situation with Chrisie and Robert Gates and Obamacare is a perfect example. I personally want to hear about Obamacare and what Robert Gates has to say. I don't care about what some governor of NJ is doing even if he is a potential candidate for an election thats 2 years away. So, why should I have to sit through a bunch of news about Christie in the interest of getting my news unslanted?

Roberts Gates will be confirming what many have been saying about Barack Obama. He's an incompetent, narcissist, community organizer who's second rate and is derelict in his duties as Commander in Chief of our military.

It will show that Fox News Channel was closer to getting it right than CNN, ABC and CBS and NBC/MSNBC may have been in collusion with the Obama White House of lying to the American people.

I'm waiting for the Secret Service Agent who was on Obama's security detail and his book, "that it's worse than we think."

Overview

Fox News Channel

View attachment 67159955

Tell you what, you watch what you want to watch and I'll watch what I want to watch. I happen to like MSNBC and I couldn't care less what you or Forbes thinks.

Tell you what, you watch what you want to watch and I'll watch what I want to watch. I happen to like MSNBC and I couldn't care less what you or Forbes thinks.

I think they're both awful.

Why not just to to a mirror and watch that.

Back
Top Bottom