• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Class, today's lesson? Raw ignorance.

NatMorton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This will need to remain a personal observation as I don't share detailed personal or family info in a medium like this, but I have a close relative who has been a public school history teacher in a poor, urban area for the last 25 years. This week my relative was informed by their department head that starting next year US history students at that high school will no longer be taught about Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, and several other Presidents because "... they owned slaves."

Woke-ism and ignorance, rapidly becoming two sides of the same coin.

This will need to remain a personal observation as I don't share detailed personal or family info in a medium like this, but I have a close relative who has been a public school history teacher in a poor, urban area for the last 25 years. This week my relative was informed by their department head that starting next year US history students at that high school will no longer be taught about Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, and several other Presidents because "... they owned slaves."

Sounds like BS to me. Probably explains why you can't link to anything on this.

Sounds like BS to me. Probably explains why you can't link to anything on this.
It’s not, and I’ve explained why I haven’t provided details. You’re welcome to believe it, or not.

more inclined to believe this thread will turn into another racist objection to the 1619 project, in which the history of our nation's founding is to be shared, warts and all

hope that relative does not choke after becoming responsible for telling students that the so called American 'exceptionalism' was due in large part because of our nation's exploitation of humans as slaves

And this on top of US citizens being less well informed than those of any other advanced country - in my estimation which might of course be over negative. It seems to me that the very best US education, particularly in technical subjects, is as good as anywhere, but the average is poor.

more inclined to believe this thread will turn into another racist objection to the 1619 project, in which the history of our nation's founding is to be shared, warts and all

hope that relative does not choke after becoming responsible for telling students that the so called American 'exceptionalism' was due in large part because of our nation's exploitation of humans as slaves
That relative probably has does more to help poor, urban kids in a week than you’ve done in your entire life, so you can park the snark.

I doubt it.

It’s not, and I’ve explained why I haven’t provided details. You’re welcome to believe it, or not.
A decision like that would be national news and yet there is not one single link to that statement. You stated clearly "This week my relative was informed by their department head" and for something of this magnitude there would be a written order to that effect. This country is built on laws and as such, it is impossible that anything can get done without it being legal and there is nothing out there that supports your contention.

Of course, it is always possible that "some" school in "some" city and in "some" state can tell "some" of their teachers not to teach something but this is not a "trend" or an official position and therefore not of interest other than the people of that area. Even then, if taken to court for it, it would not stand up.

As such, I would venture to think and say that the reason for you posting this OP is to "create" anger and resentment towards those talking about slavery being punished.

That relative probably has does more to help poor, urban kids in a week than you’ve done in your entire life, so you can park the snark.
yea, expect me to accept your 'objective' representation of your relative's good works [/s]
if you posted that he chained himself to a confederate statute tagged for destruction, i would find that characterization more in keeping with your posts

Is teaching creationism in public school ok?

There is some factual information that supports the OP's anecdote.

A decision like that would be national news and yet there is not one single link to that statement. You stated clearly "This week my relative was informed by their department head" and for something of this magnitude there would be a written order to that effect. This country is built on laws and as such, it is impossible that anything can get done without it being legal and there is nothing out there that supports your contention.

Of course, it is always possible that "some" school in "some" city and in "some" state can tell "some" of their teachers not to teach something but this is not a "trend" or an official position and therefore not of interest other than the people of that area. Even then, if taken to court for it, it would not stand up.

As such, I would venture to think and say that the reason for you posting this OP is to "create" anger and resentment towards those talking about slavery being punished.
Nailed it.

Can't tell you why it hasn't been reported, though my guess would be because it's not yet public. I've related an intra department directive.

That's not likely to be ..... you guys seem not to understand, the system of slavery had many prongs... none as severe as what happen to black people, but poor whites from various different countries were worked for less than enough to live on to any quality standards, and that could be done because it was easy to low pay people, and threaten them with being replaced by slave labor. If anything poor whites should have been the first group to stand up "against slavery", and bond and work with black people not only to end slavery but to fight together for fair living wage pay.
See... I don't think many of you guys get the fact, that when I write, I have as much concern and interest to see poor and working poor whites advance as I do for seeing black people advance. The two groups are linked together and one used against the other by wealthy people who know, the "divide and conquer game" is a win for the wealthy, and has been for centuries.

I don't ever see working poor and poor white people coming to this understanding, but it is time. Black people are not an enemy of poor whites or working poor whites. History has showing that these groups built this country "together" and the wealthy profited from their combined labors.

I speak a lot against white nationalism and white supremacy, because it abuses both white and black alike, with more violence thrust toward black, but economic violence and social class and caste violence against poor whites and working poor whites. again, that system is profitable to the wealthy.

So... its far past time to stop the promotion of racism and see it for what it is, its a system used to enrich some at the expense of poor whites, working poor whites and non whites and the focus goes to attack black people, as a means to keep the system of racism in place. It needs to be vanquished from this society.

The wealthy have pushed voter repression, that too works against poor whites, working poor whites and minorities, and when white people in these groups see it they will then become awake to stand up, they need to become "woke" if that words makes people understand the need for change, then they need to become "woke".

Woke is a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice

Now, you and others should ask yourself, why you are not "Woke".... instead of buying into the programming that continue to create a serfdom class for poor and working poor whites.

You create threads meant to sow discord, because you seem to get some kind of twisted delight out of it, while you are a member of the poor and working poor white group that continues to suffer the challenges. If you were not among this group, you likely would not be on this site or any other, because the well to do and wealthy don't spend all day, on these kind of forums, because they already control the narrative by the power of their money and their ability to influence poor and working poor whites by other means.

I share here, to help share in the promotion of "information" that can bring the mind to pursue understanding, awareness and historical information and respect for civil and civic principles of America and American Democracy. My posting are examples of those principles, and anyone is welcome to go through them and they will find that theme throughout the whole of what I write here and on other forums. .

It is Republicanism's leading Right Winger Mentality that does not want the full scope of history taught, but no matter how hard they try to smother over the truth, the truth cannot be destroy by man's denials, omission of discussion, or his fight against its exposure.

Last edited:
As cultural history, yes. As science, no.

But why on earth do you think that question is at all relevant to this discussion?
I thought this thread was about what's being taught in public schools?

Now, you and others should ask yourself, why you are not "Woke".... instead of buying into the programming that continue to create a serfdom class for poor and working poor whites.
Okay, that's easy. I am not woke because I don't buy into the myth that in 2021 systemic racism is the primary driver behind the wealth gap between black and white.

In more general terms, I am not woke because I cannot ignore facts. I am not woke because I rely on those facts and reason to form my opinions. I am not woke because I reject left-wing social orthodoxy. Lastly, I am not woke because I do not concern myself with accusations that I am a racist for holding the opinions I do made by partisan yahoos who lack intelligence and/or basic honesty.

Can't tell you why it hasn't been reported, though my guess would be because it's not yet public. I've related an intra department directive.
If made public, it would not stand up. This is illegal at this time. Laws would need to be changed for this to happen.

I thought this thread was about what's being taught in public schools?
You thought you'd reflexively chime in with some non sequitur about Christian teaching in public schools as a kind of "Conservatives do stupid stuff, too" rejoinder. It was a weak attempt at deflection via whataboutism.

You thought you'd reflexively chime in with some non sequitur about Christian teaching in public schools as a kind of "Conservatives do stupid stuff, too" rejoinder. It was a weak attempt at deflection via whataboutism.
Don't blame me, I don't want it taught in public school. The right has a nasty habit of criticizing others but don't take criticism very well at all.

Back
Top Bottom