• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christie: Buffett Should ‘Write a Check and Shut Up’

Yeah, it was a pretty idiotic response, right? And yet a day doesn't go by that conservatives don't lob that piece of turd at liberals.

except many of the left wing mediocrity actually despise successful people

later kids

One of the better tactics against hypocrites is to turn their turd hose back on them so they can see how turd-filled it really is.

IN your case you merely hosed yourself down

major fail again

Yeah, it was a pretty idiotic response, right? And yet a day doesn't go by that conservatives don't lob that piece of turd at liberals.

I've rejected the tribalism of left vs. right.

The article I posted, and the facts I highlighted regarding Buffet's political profit motive was not idiotic. Would you care to respond to this?

I've rejected the tribalism of left vs. right.

The article I posted, and the facts I highlighted regarding Buffet's political profit motive was not idiotic. Would you care to respond to this?

Sorry, but I didn't see any article, and claiming that he has a profit motive in raising his own taxes is idiotic.

Sorry, but I didn't see any article, and claiming that he has a profit motive in raising his own taxes is idiotic.

I think he does have a financial motive and he doesn't want to see his investments lose a dime. I think what he is looking at the the marginal utility of money and if it stagnants in one place to long it is basically useless to him as well as his business structure.

Warren Buffett: Baptist and Bootlegger - Reason Magazine

Well, that has nothing to do with raising taxes on the wealthy.

Aside from that, as the article states, Buffett was taking a considerable risk in backing Goldman ... while helping to stabilize the financial markets at a crucial juncture. I notice that his $5 billion option to by GS at $115 isn't looking so amazing ... with Goldman closing today at $116.

Sure, when your average investor does it, it is considered illegal insider training. When politically connected investors like Buffet get into it, it's perfectly legal and even heroic.

Sure, when your average investor does it, it is considered illegal insider training. When politically connected investors like Buffet get into it, it's perfectly legal and even heroic.

AFAIK there was no prohibition against anyone putting billions of dollars on the line to back investment banks that were teetering on the edge of collapse. He bet that the Fed wouldn't let GS fail, which was not unreasonable given the Lehman experiment. That's why he's the greatest investor in the world.

Read the article...there's more to the story:

The term social compact sounds benign. But when did American voters agree to turn one of the richest men in America into one of the biggest recipients of taxpayer subsidies?

Read the article...there's more to the story:

Yep. And again ... what does that have to do with his position on taxes? He was making the same argument long before the bailouts.

Yep. And again ... what does that have to do with his position on taxes? He was making the same argument long before the bailouts.

So, let me get this straight. He profits from millions of tax-dollar subsidies and then precedes to demand higher taxes on the wealthy- all the while refusing to donate to the national treasury. There's no moral inconsistency here?

So, let me get this straight. He profits from millions of tax-dollar subsidies and then precedes to demand higher taxes on the wealthy- all the while refusing to donate to the national treasury. There's no moral inconsistency here?

He isn't refusing to donate to the treasury. He is lobbying to raise taxes on the wealthy, which would increase his taxes. In other words, he is calling for systemic change. By definition his own actions won't serve that goal.

He isn't refusing to donate to the treasury. He is lobbying to raise taxes on the wealthy, which would increase his taxes. In other words, he is calling for systemic change. By definition his own actions won't serve that goal.

He has not donated a dollar to the Treasury Direct while yearning to pay more taxes. You would think if he truly wanted to pay more taxes, he would not allow the law to prevent him from doing what is possible through TD. Second, why does he continue to claim deductions and therefore pay less each year in taxes? Third, how would you respond to the millions of dollars in back taxes owed by his company?

And finally, with those warning of a higher concentration of wealth in this country, why support millions in subsidies that will line the pockets of yet just another individual wall street investment banker?

He doesn't have the power to change the tax code unilaterally. All he can DO is advocate for his position ... which is what he's doing.

And pay the amount of taxes he sees fit. He is just blowing hot air.

Sorry, but he is not "yearning to pay more taxes." What he is arguing is that, from a fiscal/budgetary perspective, taxes on the wealthy should go up -- even if that means he will pay more taxes too. He is not calling for a voluntary tax system. If he was your point would have some merit. But he isn't, so it doesn't.

As far as subsidies for bankers goes, it was necessary to save the financial system. That's the price we had to pay for foolishly dismantling common sense, effective bank regulations that were put in place following the Great Depression. Of course that huge cost does answer the complaint that the wealthy don't get much in return for their higher tax burden.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…