• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Rock

And how often is to often?

You know what they say....its not the crime, its the coverup.

I get that mistakes are going to happen. I'm not looking for perfection from the cops themselves, I'm looking for close to perfection in the handling of those mistakes. Plain and simple, if a guy kills someone needlessly, there shouldn't be a coverup. We should be able to admit that what happened shouldn't have happened, not looking for every excuse to make the indefensible okay.

I'm as concerned for cops as the next guy, which is why I have proposed a few changes that would make it better for good cops and help get rid of the bad ones.

1. Better pay. If you pay them better, they don't have to work so many hours, hence allowing them LESS contact with the worst among us.

2. Hours restrictions. Along with better pay, they wouldn't have to work as much to make ends meet, leading to less stressed out officers wading into his tension situations already on edge.

3. Better vetting of potential candidates. Just because a guy carried a gun in previous work doesn't make him a fit for police work. The likelyhood is that in thier previous work, they were in a position to view everyone as a potential target, and that does not lead to good policing....at least in my opinion.

4. Better oversight of police shootings. Letting the police police themselves has not worked out so well for the public so far.

5. Mandatory body cams. Protects both the officers and the public.

This happens every year and doesnt happen very often. The washington post has been keeping tabs on this on thier website. Also people have been getting upset even when the use of force is justified, so how can we trust the publics judgement?

Who is it again that is determining if the use of force is justifed? Oh yeah, a group of that cops buddies and friends. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Whats the old adage.....would be better to let 100 guilty men go free than have 1 innocent man in jail.

Converted to apply to what we are talking about.....would be better that 100 actual criminals walk away from a bad situation than 1 actually innocent person get killed when they shouldn't have.

Get rid of bad cops...well isn’t that some deep stuff? Hollywood is simply made up of regular people with money. Many just excel at some talent in the big talent show that is entertainment in America.

I’ve seen maybe two movies with Eastwood. Don’t know much about him really.

Is it really that deep? I mean, you can't have it both ways. Let me explain....

On the one hand, you asking the question implies that getting rid of bad cops would be some sort of monumental task. That means that it would require getting rid of lots of people or something like that.

On the other hand, we keep hearing that the number of bad cops is small compared to the overall number of cops. Okay....then getting rid of them shouldn't be that hard.

It cannot be both a small problem and a monumental task at the same time.

So which is it?

Can somebody please tell me why Chris Rock has a thread.

Some people think Chris Rock was funny when he did this routine many years ago.

Is it really that deep? I mean, you can't have it both ways. Let me explain....

On the one hand, you asking the question implies that getting rid of bad cops would be some sort of monumental task. That means that it would require getting rid of lots of people or something like that.

On the other hand, we keep hearing that the number of bad cops is small compared to the overall number of cops. Okay....then getting rid of them shouldn't be that hard.

It cannot be both a small problem and a monumental task at the same time.

So which is it?

Actually, it can be. There are a few bad cops (small problem). The vast majority of good cops will not under any circumstances speak out or betray their brothers in blue (monumental task).

The problem lies in the priorities. Any major institution (police, hospital, university, etc.) is more interested in protecting both the reputation and liability of the institution than in protecting the victims of bad actors. Therefore the system is designed in such a way as to let them control how investigations of allegations are conducted. When they come out to the media and declare "we have determined that our people did nothing wrong" people who support the institution will believe them and those who believe the victims won't.

The problem the police face these days is everyone has a damn video camera. It's tough to protect a bad cop when the whole world sees what he did in a matter of minutes.

You totally missed the actual point of what he was saying. Let me clear it up for you.

It not about the safety of pilots. They are pretty well protected. The analogy was about the fact that nobody would be okay with an airline allowing a pilot who routinely shows up drunk to continue flying. His choice of crashing the plane was an admittedly bad way of trying to get that point across, but that aside, was still a very apt analogy.

That having been said, even if we looked at it the way you did, it still shows the lunacy of your apparent stance. For the analogy to be accurate from your point of view, it would require that you are okay with a pilot crashing the plane because he didn't like the way you spoke to him.

Doesn't sound so smart, does it?

You seem to completely miss the point that pilots deal with a highly controlled environment while cops deal with a generally uncontrolled environment. We would have much fewer "bad cops" if we had fewer criminals for them to deal with. A pilot intentionally crashing a plane (and that HAS happened) would be akin to a cop going into a neighborhood and shooting random people.

Let's use the Rayshard Brooks case as an example of a "bad cop". The cop was 100% right to engage Brooks who was blocking the linee at the fast food joint because he was passed out in his car. The cop was 100% right to have Brooks conduct field sobriety tests and interview him. The cop was 100% right to apprehend Brooks for DUI. The cop was 100% right to fight back when Brooks attacked him and, finally, the cop was 100% right to use deadly force to stop Brooks who had just assaulted two cops, stole a weapon and discharged that weapon at the cops in an effort to effect his escape. The left, however, looks at Brooks from the perspective of "he didn't do nothin'! Just let the man be so he can go home to his side piece".

If a cop can be "bad" because you hold him to impossible standards while holding the people he deals with to no behavioral standard whatsoever then the whole idea of "bad cop" is purely subjective and has no rational meaning.

Nothing a "bad cop" does that is bad is excused by the people he deals with or what you say about them (usually based on what the cop told you, not that you ever paused to consider that).

The reason to respect them is that they are held to a higher standard.

Unfortunately that reason does not exist, thanks to the Lutherfs of the world. You hold them to a lower standard than citizens. Your excuse is that their job is dangerous.

Be honest. All this is about is that it's a lot less likely that a cop will kill one of your family because of skin color, and perhaps economic standing. This stuff happens to poor people, especially poor black people. So why do you care?

"he didn't do nothin'! Just let the man be so he can go home to his side piece".

See that? You give it all away, thinking you're being funny.

Actually, it can be. There are a few bad cops (small problem). The vast majority of good cops will not under any circumstances speak out or betray their brothers in blue (monumental task).

The problem lies in the priorities. Any major institution (police, hospital, university, etc.) is more interested in protecting both the reputation and liability of the institution than in protecting the victims of bad actors. Therefore the system is designed in such a way as to let them control how investigations of allegations are conducted. When they come out to the media and declare "we have determined that our people did nothing wrong" people who support the institution will believe them and those who believe the victims won't.

The problem the police face these days is everyone has a damn video camera. It's tough to protect a bad cop when the whole world sees what he did in a matter of minutes.

Indeed, per ex-Baltimore-cop:

15% always do the right thing
15% do the wrong thing whenever they think they can get away with it.
70% go along with whatever, don't report bad cops, etc.

I'm a black ex-cop, and this is the real truth about race and policing - Vox

Do the math. Thanks to that 70%, we're talking 50/50 on average. And I don't think a cop who goes along with / does not report bad cops is any better than the bad cops. "A few bad apples" my ass.

Back
Top Bottom