• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Changing sales tax exemptions for food

actually it does and it isn't meaningless.

clothing is clothing no matter if you are in FL or alaska or hawaii.
you are trying to piecemeal something that isn't.

so it addresses everything.

Cold weather clothing is necessarily more expensive. Though it is a minor issue it is a legitimate/relevant one to discuss.

So the poor should be punished because they have to spend a higher percentage of their income to survive?

the rebate offsets or do you not even know what you argue?

Cold weather clothing is necessarily more expensive. Though it is a minor issue it is a legitimate/relevant one to discuss.

i don't care. clothing is clothing. there is no reason that this clothing should or shouldn't.
you treat all clothing equally.

No it's not. A winter coat in Minnesota is a necessity. In Florida it's frivolity.

not really i live in FL i have used a winter coat here. you as usual don't know what you are talking about.

Currently uncooked food is exempt from sales taxes. This is because taxes on necessities at a flat rate is regressive to the poor because they pay a higher proportion of their income to necessities. However, this falls short for a number of reasons:

1. Other necessities like clothing and housing are not tax exempt.
2. Unnecessary expenditures like more exorbitant foods are also tax exempt.

Instead, we ought to tax those goods, but offset with a set amount to each person per month. This way there is effectively zero tax on necessities without giving a tax break on luxuries. It's a relatively minor change, yes, but this is a significant flaw in our tax system.

Not all states exempt food items and the amounts vary.

i don't care. clothing is clothing. there is no reason that this clothing should or shouldn't.

‘I don’t care. Clothing is clothing’ does not address the actual point, but I’m not in this thread to persuade you to my position, so... have a nice day.

the rebate offsets or do you not even know what you argue?
That's been my point, that is why you need to have these rebates to deal with that problem.

This isn't a response to his objection.

Currently uncooked food is exempt from sales taxes. This is because taxes on necessities at a flat rate is regressive to the poor because they pay a higher proportion of their income to necessities. However, this falls short for a number of reasons:

Instead, we ought to tax those goods, but offset with a set amount to each person per month. This way there is effectively zero tax on necessities without giving a tax break on luxuries. It's a relatively minor change, yes, but this is a significant flaw in our tax system.
Sales taxes are determined by the states and each decided for themselves what should be taxed and exempt.

Sales taxes used to be tax-deductible federally prior to the 1986 tax code changes. Now, one can either deduct sales tax or state income and property taxes, but not both.

You do realize that sales taxes are state and local taxes, and they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, don’t you?

You do realize that sales taxes are state and local taxes, and they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, don’t you?
Yes. So what?

it depends, food it taxed or un taxed under state laws

Sales taxes are determined by the states and each decided for themselves what should be taxed and exempt.

Sales taxes used to be tax-deductible federally prior to the 1986 tax code changes. Now, one can either deduct sales tax or state income and property taxes, but not both.

And thanks to Trump, you’re limited on that.

‘I don’t care. Clothing is clothing’ does not address the actual point, but I’m not in this thread to persuade you to my position, so... have a nice day.

your position is to micro manage ever item based on where it is located compared to another area. that is not only not possible but costly and highly maintainable.
your position lacks logic and reason to support it that is why.

This isn't a response to his objection.

actually it is the perfect response to his position.

this position is not logical. a Jack that sells for 20 bucks in FL sales for 20 bucks in MN. the cost to make the jacket doesn't change.
his position is to micro manage trillion of products based on subjective need of the area. not only is that not possible it is 100% un-managable.

I don't care if you live in FL or MN my jack costs 20 bucks to buy it. businesses don't care.
if you want extreme cold weather jackets they cost the same in MN as they do in FL.

I don't care where you live the cost of the jacket is the cost of the jacket.

your position is to micro manage ever item based on where it is located compared to another area. that is not only not possible but costly and highly maintainable.
your position lacks logic and reason to support it that is why.

How is it costly and 'highly maintainable?'

How is it costly and 'highly maintainable?'

who is going to maintain what to charge every single item that we have on a matter of location? no business does this.

who is going to maintain what to charge every single item that we have on a matter of location? no business does this.

I never said anything about every single item. My question was whether citizens of colder climates should get a slightly higher dividend due to their need for winter clothing. As I understand it, Phattonez's proposal would be a dividend that offsets the costs of necessities for citizens. Personally, I don't really care if they just give every citizen the same dividend no matter their location. I know it is nitpicking but I think it is a fair question to consider. How much that dividend is would be determined by the lawmakers of course.

Last edited:

uncooked food is subject to sales tax in my state

New Jersey isn't the most regressive State when it comes to TAXES; however, New Jersey does not charge sales tax on unprepared food, household paper products, medicine, and clothing. However, medical cannabis and fur clothing are subject to sales tax. ... Cigarettes are subject to a $2.70/per pack excise tax in addition to sales tax.

I think any state that taxes food (unless some restaurant), clothing or toilet paper is ridiculously greedy. And there are ways to boycott such greed. For instance, I do not pay taxes for second hand items. I offer to pay cash and that will usually end the "requirement". My feeling is that a sales tax was more than likely paid on any item that is now being resold as is. I'm not going to give into the greed of any State that imagine that simply because they pass a law makes it proper or correct. Yes, States need revenue to survive. Yes, much of this revenue must come from taxation. Yes, I do believe in paying taxes. I HOWEVER, also feel the government is of the people, by the people and for the people, and not to make "professional" POLITICIANS wealthy. When government becomes sloppy and imprudent with the pay it receives from its citizens, citizens can and should treat them with the contempt they deserve. It is called ignoring their threats. The easy way to get around any New Jersey tax of internet purchases is very easy. Have them delivered out of state and then pick them up from friends, relatives, etc., in the adjoining state... It's called thumbing one's nose at bureaucracy.

The reality is that when a nearby State offers lower or no sales tax, that State will receive the added bonus of people coming from adjoining States to make purchases. If ones cutting the sales tax in half cause sales to TRIPLE, that State is actually gaining MORE revenue.

Last edited:

In our world of bar codes its much more easily doable that it was years ago with ten different types of luxury goods buttons, but slicing and dicing the tax code gets confusing, and with confusion comes gaming the system.

I never said anything about every single item. My question was whether citizens of colder climates should get a slightly higher dividend due to their need for winter clothing. As I understand it, Phattonez's proposal would be a dividend that offsets the costs of necessities for citizens. Personally, I don't really care if they just give every citizen the same dividend no matter their location. I know it is nitpicking but I think it is a fair question to consider. How much that dividend is would be determined by the lawmakers of course.

coats, food, other products. what difference does it make? who is going to keep track of all of it.
why should they get a higher divided?

what about people where food has to be constantly shipped in vs being near a farmer? should they get a higher dividend as well?
what about every other item that prices depend on location should get they a higher dividend?

who is going to monitor and maintain that? as i said your idea is not feasible nor maintainable.

Our local sales taxes everything at 9.82%. So for big purchases I cross the state line and pay 6.75%. They also exempt food. So I make a regular grocery run at about $600. No tax.

Back
Top Bottom