• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canadian American Journalist Eva Bartlett

phoenyx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
In multiple threads I've been involved in, there has been a litany of repetitive accusations that Eva Bartlett is a Kremlin puppet or things of this nature. I thought instead of repeatedly defending her with evidence in said various threads, it'd make more sense to make a single thread for it. So, I'll start things off with a partial list of her accomplishments from an article she wrote in 2019, long before she moved to Russia.

I am an independent writer and rights activist with extensive experience in Syria and in the Gaza Strip, where I lived a cumulative three years (from late 2008 to June 2010, and back in 2011 off and on to March 2013).

In 2017, I was short-listed for the prestigious Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism. The award rightly was given to the amazing journalist, the late Robert Parry [see his work on Consortium News].

In March 2017, I was awarded “International Journalism Award for International Reporting” granted by the Mexican Journalists’ Press Club (founded in 1951). Co-recipients included: John Pilger and political analyst Thierry Meyssan.

Full article:

Wikipedia's article on Eva Bartlett has frequently been used to criticize her. Since I've been writing about the Ukraine war for a while, there's one paragraph in it that has been used extensively:

Since April 2022, Bartlett has been in Ukraine, reporting on the Russian invasion of Ukraine from a pro-Russian perspective, frequently featuring collaborations with Russian state-owned channel Russia Today.[31] Bartlett has been criticised for spreading Kremlin propaganda, and misinformation.[10] Bartlett regularly collaborates with RT propagandist Roman Kosarev, in her Donbas reports.[12]

Source:

With Wikipedia, it's always important to go to the source articles. In this case, the one I think deserves the most attention is the [10]. Bartlett has certainly been -accused- of "spreading Kremlin propaganda, and misinformation", but by who? If one follows the Wikipedia link, it goes to an article that is allegedly from the BBC, but is in fact from nbcnews.com. Quoting from said article:

ISD also named Eva Bartlett, a Canadian activist who previously pushed conspiracy theories alleging Syrian rescue workers known as the White Helmets were staging fake attacks during the Syrian civil war. Bartlett isn’t employed by RT, the Russian state-controlled news network, but she has written op-eds on RT’s website, makes videos with RT correspondents and shares archived versions of RT content to get around the platforms’ blocking of Russian state media. Facebook has labeled Bartlett’s posts with a disclaimer that she “may be partially or wholly under the editorial control of the Russian government.” Bartlett did not respond to a request for comment.

Source:

Quite the accusations. So who is this ISD that the NBC article points as the source of these allegations. Turns out, ISD stands for the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a London Based think tank:

Sounds all well and good, but the further you dig into this organization, the more red flags it brings up. They've got their fingers in a lot of pies, with strong links to the World Economic Forum:

The World Economic Forum, in turn, is perhaps most well known for a certain statement from its managing director:

Wherever you use Eva Bartlett as a source, I will enlighten our readers of what she is.....

Since April 2022, Bartlett has been in Ukraine, reporting on the Russian invasion of Ukraine from a pro-Russian perspective, frequently featuring collaborations with Russian state-owned channel Russia Today.[31] Bartlett has been criticised for spreading Kremlin propaganda, and misinformation.[10] Bartlett regularly collaborates with RT propagandist Roman Kosarev, in her Donbas reports.[12]

Batlrett also assisted spreading Kremlin propaganda viv-a-vis the Syria War.

Wherever you use Eva Bartlett as a source, I will enlighten our readers of what she is.....

I just addressed this Wikipedia passage in post#2:

Batlrett also assisted spreading Kremlin propaganda viv-a-vis the Syria War.

It's Bartlett, and from the evidence I've seen, I'd say that truth is that she has exposed the mainstream media's lies in regards to the Syria War:

Bartlett also assisted spreading Kremlin propaganda viv-a-vis the Syria War.

Bartlett also assisted spreading Kremlin propaganda viv-a-vis the Syria War.

You have just spammed the exact same post twice, first in Post#3 and then in Post#5, despite my having responded to your post in Post#4. Seemed worthy of a report, so I did so.

You have just spammed the exact same post twice, first in Post#3 and then in Post#5, despite my having responded to your post in Post#4. Seemed worthy of a report, so I did so.

You are spamming the board by your repeated use of Eva Bartlett as a "source" --- she is a known pro-Russia propagandist working for RT.

I have every right to expose your RT "source".

You are spamming the board by your repeated use of Eva Bartlett as a "source" --- she is a known pro-Russia propagandist working for RT.

You saying that she is a "pro-Russia propagandist" doesn't make it so. You repeating the claim without even addressing my counter arguments twice in short succession in a thread that is meant to discuss her credentials is clearly spam.

I have every right to expose your RT "source".
You saying that she is a "pro-Russia propagandist" doesn't make it so. You repeating the claim without even addressing my counter arguments twice in short succession in a thread that is meant to discuss her credentials is clearly spam.
Moderator's Warning:
Both of you cut it out right now. Defend or condemn Bartlett as you please, but do not duplicate post content or play mod.

You saying that she is a "pro-Russia propagandist" doesn't make it so.

A "pro-Russia propagandist" is how she is described in Wikipedia, and also by the content of her Kremlin paid-for RT articles.

If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, etc. etc. etc.

You saying that she is a "pro-Russia propagandist" doesn't make it so.
A "pro-Russia propagandist" is how she is described in Wikipedia

And you, trusting soul that you are, take Wikipedia at its word without a second thought -.-. I, on the other hand, not only determined that Wikipedia misattributed its source, but went to its -source's- source, and found it wanting. It's all there in post#2 in this thread, which you apparently still haven't even bothered to read despite my pointing to it previously.

And you, trusting soul that you are, take Wikipedia at its word without a second thought...

Wikipedia is a far more trustworthy source than your go-to --- RT --- which is owned and managed by the Kremlin.

Wikipedia is a far more trustworthy source than your go-to [snip]

The only reason Wikipedia's even in this conversation is because you kept on bringing up a paragraph from it that makes accusations against Eva Bartlett, which is the subject of this thread. So I went to your Wikipedia article, looked up its source, and then it's source's source and came back with my findings, which you can look at in post#2. Let me know if you ever get around to that.

The only reason Wikipedia's even in this conversation is because you kept on bringing up a paragraph from it that makes accusations against Eva Bartlett, which is the subject of this thread. So I went to your Wikipedia article, looked up its source, and then it's source's source and came back with my findings, which you can look at in post#2. Let me know if you ever get around to that.
RT is RT. No getting around that. The principal propaganda arm of the Kremlin.

Bartlett works for RT, producing articles that must satisfy Editor Margarita Simonyan and Roskomnadzor (The Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media).

Margarita Simonyan giving Vladimir Putin a tour of an RT control room in Moscow.....

iu

You must think all of us fell off the pumpkin truck and have no idea of who and what your Eva Bartlett source is....

She is a paid RT stringer embedded with Russian intelligence/military authorities in the occupied regions of Ukraine.

RT is RT. No getting around that. [snip]

You're still not addressing post#2. Will you ever?

I'm not playing your whataboutism games.

The readers of our exchanges can easily determine that you are using Russian/pro-Russian sources.

As far as I'm concerned, your propaganda here is an extension of Moscow's war in Ukraine.

I'm not playing your whataboutism games.

Post#2 addresses the points in your Wikipedia article you keep on bringing up. If you were truly interested in investigating the truth behind Wikipedia's claims, you would have responded to it a long time ago.

Post#2 addresses the points in your Wikipedia article you keep on bringing up. If you were truly interested in investigating the truth behind Wikipedia's claims, you would have responded to it a long time ago.

It is not MY Wkipedia article. It contains relevant current facts about Eva Bartlett -

Bartlett has been making videos and posts on social media from Ukraine during the Russian invasion, often collaborating with journalists from Russian state media.[12] She has been frequently criticised for spreading Kremlin propaganda and misinformation.[10]

If you don't want folks calling out your pro-Russia sources, then don't use pro-Russia sources. Or - admit that you are using pro-Russia sources and move on.

It is not MY Wkipedia article. It contains relevant current facts about Eva Bartlett

No, it contains unsubstantied assertions by an organization with ties to the World Economic Forum, an organization with issues of its own. I imagine you'd know all that if you'd carefully read my second post in this thread.

No, it contains unsubstantied assertions by an organization with ties to the World Economic Forum, an organization with issues of its own. I imagine you'd know all that if you'd carefully read my second post in this thread.

Look. I have made my position crystal clear.

When you use Bartlett as a source, I will call out that source and alert our readers why I am doing so.

I can do this indefinitely.

Look. I have made my position crystal clear.

On that, we agree.

When you use Bartlett as a source, I will call out that source and alert our readers why I am doing so.

You post the same unsubstantiated assertions every time, yes, while also refusing to address the evidence suggesting the assertions are false and created by a source which may well have ulterior motives for making said assertion.

You post the same unsubstantiated assertions every time

I'm not playing your silly games.

If you continue to use Russian/pro-Russian sources in threads/posts, I will contine to expose them for what they are ....Kremlin assets.

Information is not a one-way street.

If you continue to use Russian/pro-Russian sources in threads/posts, I will contine to expose them for what they are ....Kremlin assets.

From what I've seen, what you will continue to do is cite poorly sourced articles with dubious claims from dubious sources and refuse to respond to the legitimate concerns about these claims and sources, as evidenced by your refusal to address the points I made in the second post of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom