• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can someone please tell me what a "globalist" is?

Answer #1. One who subscribes to globalism: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/globalist

Answer #2. Samsung.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
These definitions aren't really helpful.

a national policy of treating the whole world as a proper sphere for political influence

What is a 'proper sphere?'

Again, international politics goes back to the dawn of civilization.

it's a term that became popular in Republican Media, they saw how effective it was and they ran with it to help brainwash the marks and take more of their money (while convincing them who to vote for, etc).

plus the world isn't all white. that just makes their use of the term more genius (saying it without saying it).

And when you're done with that, please let me know what brand of flat-screen TV you own.

Throwing around idiotic jargony phrases can really make you look and sound stupid.

We live in an interconnected world. Well over half (if not more) of our consumer goods are manufactured elsewhere. In spite of our most sincere wet dream wishes there are myriad basic goods and materials that we don't have here in the US. That means we have to trade for those goods and materials. And unless you want to start paying 3-4x what you're now paying for your TV's, shirts, shoes, cell phones, refrigerators perhaps you imbeciles should reconsider throwing around terms you obviously don't comprehend.
Words often have a wide semantic range, and this range changes over time often as well.
Globalist has come to mean in some circles as someone willing to have a loss of national soveriegnty to international power it seems.

These definitions aren't really helpful.

a national policy of treating the whole world as a proper sphere for political influence

What is a 'proper sphere?'

Again, international politics goes back to the dawn of civilization.

Hi, Michael.

Read the definition again and give it time to rumble around in your wetware. It is quite clear.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Words often have a wide semantic range, and this range changes over time often as well.
Globalist has come to mean in some circles as someone willing to have a loss of national soveriegnty to international power it seems.
That's a good description. The problem is defining national sovereignty and international power. To some, illegal immigration indicates a loss of national sovereignty. To others it doesn't. International power exists in many areas, economic, military and political being three.

Hi, Michael.

Read the definition again and give it time to rumble around in your wetware. It is quite clear.

It's quite clear theoretically, and worded as such. So theoretical as to be simplistic. Not helpful. The hypothesis does not superimpose on the real world.

What nation has or has ever had such a policy?

(That you missed the irony of a dictionary definition using undefined terms is not as issue with my wetware. Cheers, bravo and all that.)

Last edited:
It's quite clear theoretically, and worded as such. So theoretical as to be simplistic. Not helpful. The hypothesis does not superimpose on the real world.

Even if you took that definition to its fullest extent, it still makes Republicans running around calling others "globalists" as hypocritical.

Hi again, Michael.

Let's see. If a nation, in its political position, does not subscribe to the globalist concept, it must exempt at least some other nations from consideration as a nation to interact with as either a political friend or political foe. For the United States of America, those nations include: ?

Hi again, Michael.

Let's see. If a nation, in its political position, does not subscribe to the globalist concept, it must exempt at least some other nations from consideration as a nation to interact with as either a political friend or political foe. For the United States of America, those nations include: ?

I have a better question. It will answer yours. It's the question I asked. Which you've answered with several.

What nation in the history of nations, including the US, has ever held a position that does not interact with other nations as friend or foe?

Someone who thinks the UN should dictate US policy (or anyone's policy) would be a globalist. Must be a tiny club. Who are they?

I have a better question. It will answer yours. It's the question I asked. Which you've answered with several.

What nation in the history of nations, including the US, has ever held a position that does not interact with other nations as friend or foe?

Someone who thinks the UN should dictate US policy (or anyone's policy) would be a globalist. Must be a tiny club. Who are they?

Hi again, Michael.

Your question elides the concept of 'global', which was where we started.

It's been nice chatting. I'll sign off now.

Hi again, Michael.

Your question elides the concept of 'global', which was where we started.

It's been nice chatting. I'll sign off now.

No, not at all. Just seeking a real-world example. Got any?

I think it refers to people who believe in the free market for global trade,

It definitely does not mean that. Trump uses the term and he is very much against free market globalism.

It definitely does not mean that. Trump uses the term and he is very much against free market globalism.

Huh? I am getting confused now- because obviously that’s what Trump and his supporters mean when they use that word “globalism” in such scary terms: according to them, globalism= anti-free market globalism; economic nationalism.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to believe that based on his record with the China trade war. I'm not really sure what Trump's basis for a tariff war was.

Okay. Trump wasn't a globalist in the geopolitical sense, but what was he? Did the nation benefit or suffer from the policy?

As far as commerce is concerned, Trump is a proud globalist.

Huh? I am getting confused now- because obviously that’s what Trump and his supporters mean when they use that term “globalism” when they use it in such scary term: according to them, globalism= anti-free market globalism; economic nationalism.

Sorry, you're right, I misconstrued what you wrote.

I'm tempted to believe that based on his record with the China trade war. I'm not really sure what Trump's basis for a tariff war was.

Trump, like many economic illiterates, believes the economy is a jobs program.

Okay. Trump wasn't a globalist in the geopolitical sense, but what was he? Did the nation benefit or suffer from the policy?

Tariffs make Americans worse off on net.

Here you go. I answered your question before you asked in this other thread.

And, in this one...

As you can see, this has nothing to do with what brand of TV someone buys. It's about control and money.
I checked your definitions. Sounds like a good approach to the world, one followed by both US conservatives and liberals since at least the late 1930s. To be fair, there has always been a passing isolationist (anti- globalist) sentiment in US politics, almost always trumped by reality: the US battleship "Maine" blows up in Havana, and when the dust settles, we own the Phillippines. One can't be a world power, trading with everyone, overthrowing annoying governments, using whatever pressure is necessary -- even foreign aid -- to allow our businesses access to foreign markets, importing workers to do jobs Americans shy away from, and then with a straight face disparage "globalism." People may say "America first," and all our leaders do consider the interests of the country first --albeit in different, debateable ways -- excepting our former prez whose approach was of course "Trump First."

Tariffs are always a net negative, unless they're used strategically to enhance national security.

And when you're done with that, please let me know what brand of flat-screen TV you own.

Throwing around idiotic jargony phrases can really make you look and sound stupid.

We live in an interconnected world. Well over half (if not more) of our consumer goods are manufactured elsewhere. In spite of our most sincere wet dream wishes there are myriad basic goods and materials that we don't have here in the US. That means we have to trade for those goods and materials. And unless you want to start paying 3-4x what you're now paying for your TV's, shirts, shoes, cell phones, refrigerators perhaps you imbeciles should reconsider throwing around terms you obviously don't comprehend.

Why is globalist a bad word? This, I have never understood.

Agreed.

Impotent taxes that bring counter-tariffs that result in more taxes to rescue the domestic victims. Rather stupid.

Jobs program. Lol. And he'll get Mexico to pay for it....or China...or somebody but him. Lol.

Let me tell you what a bad word is. Isolationist.
Its bad because it is inherently ignorant. Much like sticking ones head in the ground with their ass in the air.

A globalist supports free trade, putting corporate profits above the good of the people of their country.
Trump never pushed for isolationism.
It should be FAIR trade, not free trade. For the benefit of the nation.

A globalist supports free trade, putting corporate profits above the good of the people of their country.
Trump never pushed for isolationism.
It should be FAIR trade, not free trade. For the benefit of the nation.

Forcing companies to hire more expensive domestic labor is, on net, economically hurtful- to both countries involved. It only helps artificially protect the unskilled labor force in the original country, and only in the very short term. It’s like appeasing a kid who just doesn’t want to go to school. That country would do a lot better on net if they gave the market free rein and exported their unskilled work. They could then invest in educating their own pool of unskilled labor. That would be a win-win for both countries. That was what Hillary wanted to do in 2016, but was roundly rejected by the unskilled labor in this country:

The unskilled labor force in this country just doesn’t want to hear that. They just want to call everyone else stupid and lazy. They think they were doing just fine in the 1950s and America will be great just like in the 1950s if they keep doing the same thing. Going back to that is what they think will “Make America Great Again”.

It won’t. It’s a sure-fire recipe for making sure America stays behind.

From climate change and Covid recommendations to such short-sighted economic and labor policy, this is what characterizes Trumpism : doing what is easy and expedient in the short term, and just telling uneducated and ignorant people what they want to hear rather than the truth, just to win the next election; but not caring about any long term consequences. That’s why such dangerously popular but imprudent demagoguery by politicians like Trump needs to be called out and rejected.

Long-distance trade pre-dates the nation-state. Pre-historic societies traded with each other.

From Egypt to Greece to Rome in the West, the nation-state evolved both as a trading partner and conqueror. Perhaps this is the dichotomy we're seeing here. Trading resources vs taking them.

The US is by no means self-sufficient. Thinking otherwise is batshit crazy, so I'm not sure what a nationalist economy would look like.

I'd love to see how the isolationists think the US would grow all the crops you import from all over the world.
Do you grow much rice in the US for example as that's a pretty popular food item.

It's about control and money.

Certainly that's true in many ways and on many levels, including the global level. But what definition of 'globalist' are you going on about? 'Globalist' seems to have replaced the spooky connotation of 'new world order.'

Capitalism doesn’t work forever. Humans cheat. There will always be humans that cheat, whether “actually” breaking the law, or violating the “spirit” of the law. In its early days, when chattel slavery was a “normal” part of life, we used humans to make more profit than we would have been able to make if we’d had to pay people for their work. Of course slaves had to be bought or traded or acquired, and “maintained” like you would a horse or a “working dog” but those investments could be leveraged.

As chattel slavery became frowned upon in public opinion, capitalism moved towards other forms like indentured servitude, and eventually wage slavery. Wage slavery is a liberal buzz word, though, and many libs use it in the wrong context, or are too easy to label things that aren’t wage slavery, that.

Globalism introduces the idea of “wage slavery” into a global context. This runs afoul of capitalist “cheaters” because there are huge numbers of industries that would collapse almost overnight if they couldn't get cheap labor anywhere. If they had to pay people in other parts of the world (or benefit from someone who does) something like a global wage.

I know the counter-argument: yeah, but $100 US per day would be a fortune for someone living in say Bangeladesh or China, or Mexico, or some other poor country, but it would also allow them to pay more in taxes, and more into their local economies, raising the entire countries status (economically). It would allow their populations to participate in a global economy. Human intelligence is universal among humans, conditions being equal. There are geniuses living in every country, and hard workers too. Giving those people access to global resources so that WE can benefit from their gifts would be better for everyone in the world… except the strict capitalists.

That’s what globalism is. It’s happening now whether we want it to or not. The internet has allowed people everywhere to start in this direction. The world is also noticing these areas of growth and opportunity. The capitalists are on board only because they can still get “geniuses” from other countries cheaper, but that won’t be forever. The HB1 visas and other schemes is testament to this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom