• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California throws lifeline to PG&E over potential Camp Fire liability

If they caused some fires which killed some people?

What would we do with a person who did this?

Jail them for life, or maybe put them in a mental institution.

I doubt the corporation will get that punishment though.

Its good to he a corporate "person".

What problem are you eluding too? Cause of the Camp fire has yet to be determined. I can agree the President has been talking out his butt regarding the CA fires.

Here is a wildland firefighters take (mine) on what you posted. Why didn't the homeowners Firewise their property. We have been educating the public for over 10+ years. Why didn't the local government in charge of zoning require the developer to construct houses to Firewise standards? Why didn't the town/community of Paradise have an active Firewise program to work with the State, County, Federal and Private companies to reduce the risk surrounding the community.

The President is not wrong in that our land needs better management at all levels. Many of our forested areas are overgrown and need of fuel reduction. This problem did not start with the current administration. It has been going on for decades. You can blame Congress for not adequately funding resource management on Federal Land. You can blame the State government for not adequately funding resource management on State land. You can blame local/county government for not funding fuel management on land they are responsible for. You can also blame the home owner for not taking care of their property. You can blame Private companies (utilities) if they failed to maintain powerlines and right of way to code.

Bottom line. With the fuels, the temps and wind once a fire started it was going to be tough. From the scenes I have seen of Paradise the fire quickly became a house to house fire. The house were pretty packed in to a heavily forested area. Not good.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/11/0...se-california-forcing-evacuations/#more-62042

The simple answer to all your questions is the same people who don't want to pay taxes also want to make maximum profits.

So they buy politicians to cut their taxes and regulations. Give them variances, etc.

And here we are.

Its an example of one of the flaws in the capitalist model.

And what happens when you try to build the most profitable society ever seen.

The donor class gets greedy, cuts corners, doesn't get held responsible like an individual would.

And the voter class eats the damages.

This has been an ongoing issue for CA way before Trump said anything. I know it's hard for those who worship government to understand but, sometimes they make bad choices.

And I know its hard for those who worship capitalism to understand that capitalists lie to you to get what they want.

I posted a link to the other side of this argument. But its scientists so I don't expect you to believe it.

And 57% is owned by the federal government.

So trump better get out his rake, right?

And I know its hard for those who worship capitalism to understand that capitalists lie to you to get what they want.

I posted a link to the other side of this argument. But its scientists so I don't expect you to believe it.

And 57% is owned by the federal government.

So trump better get out his rake, right?

“I think for a number of years the feds were more ahead of this dilemma, at least in discussions,” said Scott Stephens, a professor of fire science at the University of California, Berkeley. But “I have to say right now, I think the state is moving ahead. It’s certainly being more innovative, it’s doing more policy work.”

It will be hard to dramatically alter the status quo, however, without more help from the federal government. Through the national forests, national parks, Bureau of Land Management, and others, the federal government manages more than 40 percent of California’s total acreage, as of 2015. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, by comparison, manages a little more than 30 percent.

Neither federal nor state authorities have been doing enough to respond to the historic 100 million-plus dead trees littering the state’s forests, experts say. “California’s forests suffer from neglect and mismanagement, resulting in overcrowding that leaves them susceptible to disease, insects and wildfire,” the independent Little Hoover Commission wrote in a February report. And a 2017 report by two U.S. Forest Service officials found that “the current scale and pace of treatment implementation is not keeping up with the current needs or addressing the backlog” of overgrown forests.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article216160995.html

“I think for a number of years the feds were more ahead of this dilemma, at least in discussions,” said Scott Stephens, a professor of fire science at the University of California, Berkeley. But “I have to say right now, I think the state is moving ahead. It’s certainly being more innovative, it’s doing more policy work.”

It will be hard to dramatically alter the status quo, however, without more help from the federal government. Through the national forests, national parks, Bureau of Land Management, and others, the federal government manages more than 40 percent of California’s total acreage, as of 2015. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, by comparison, manages a little more than 30 percent.

Neither federal nor state authorities have been doing enough to respond to the historic 100 million-plus dead trees littering the state’s forests, experts say. “California’s forests suffer from neglect and mismanagement, resulting in overcrowding that leaves them susceptible to disease, insects and wildfire,” the independent Little Hoover Commission wrote in a February report. And a 2017 report by two U.S. Forest Service officials found that “the current scale and pace of treatment implementation is not keeping up with the current needs or addressing the backlog” of overgrown forests.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article216160995.html

You have to remember that the operative philosophy is "It doesn't matter that what I am doing is wrong because you did it too (and it was horribly wrong for you to do it).".

You have to remember that the operative philosophy is "It doesn't matter that what I am doing is wrong because you did it too (and it was horribly wrong for you to do it).".

Sounds like status quo to me.

Back
Top Bottom