• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Buying a new computer. How to move all the good programs from the old one?

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've got this five year old Gateway computer that's getting to the point of running too slowly for what I need it to do. It's got Windows XP SP2, a Pentium 4 1.5GHz, and 1 GB of RAM. The motherboard can only support one processor upgrade (to a 2.0) which probably won't have that much affect for the money/work. It's got two hard drives in it. A 20GB one that holds all of my programs and an 80GB HD that holds all of the music and movies. Both are about 65% full.

So, I wanna buy a new computer, but I've got a lot of programs that I don't want to buy again or can't (the makers no longer exist) and want them to work on the new one. What's the best way to do all of that?

Look in the directories of the current programs you'd like to keep...If there is a file that says "Setup" or some other file with the extension of "zip"(program.zip), that's the one you want to put on a CD for tansfer to the new PC.

Some older programs or smaller programs will work with just one file...That file will have an extension of "exe"(program.exe)...Depending on the program, that may be the only file you need...

cnredd said:
Look in the directories of the current programs you'd like to keep...If there is a file that says "Setup" or some other file with the extension of "zip"(program.zip), that's the one you want to put on a CD for tansfer to the new PC.

Some older programs or smaller programs will work with just one file...That file will have an extension of "exe"(program.exe)...Depending on the program, that may be the only file you need...
I tried that before with one of my progs that came with a license file that doesn't work when it's on another pc. (I tried that when I copied the prog to my laptop and I had to buy a second license for it).

shuamort said:
I tried that before with one of my progs that came with a license file that doesn't work when it's on another pc. (I tried that when I copied the prog to my laptop and I had to buy a second license for it).
There may be certain rules or things to perform on certain programs...What works for program "A" won't for program "B"...

Go to the individual program's website and see if they have special instructions...

Will do. I should start another thread, but what brand of computer should I get? I'm working off a Gateway and have never had a problem. I just need something powerful for home recording (and the standard internet use too)

shuamort said:
Will do. I should start another thread, but what brand of computer should I get? I'm working off a Gateway and have never had a problem. I just need something powerful for home recording (and the standard internet use too)

Why not just build your own? its not that hard to build a system...
Its really easy....

shuamort said:
I build my own....very easy...you don't need to be a PC whiz to do it either...saves a TON of cash...If you go that route, check locally to see if there are any computer expos coming up in the area...That's the best way to get a deal...

So I don't go by brand, but I will say this...

Don't go for any software packages they offer...Buy a "barebones" PC...You can always add on your own later...

If I built my own, could i just take HD out of the old one and pop it in the new one?

(If so, could i then get a large hard drive and move the whole contents to that?)

shuamort said:
If I built my own, could i just take HD out of the old one and pop it in the new one?

(If so, could i then get a large hard drive and move the whole contents to that?)

yes you can....

shuamort said:

Not only is cherokee right, but I'll go one further...

PCs can hold two hard drives...more with external ones added...

If you build a new PC, make your new hard drive the "master"(primary) and your old hard drive the "slave"(secondary)...copy the WHOLE old hard drive to the new one and run the programs...If/when they all work, you can erase/reuse/remove/throw out your old one...

BTW - when throwing out a hard drive which may have personal info on it, I suggest opening it up and physically destroying the discs inside...

So, conceivably, I could move everything over from my 20gb to my 80gb and get the computer to boot off of that to test it, right? If so, can i just go to windows explorer and move everything like that?

cnredd said:
BTW - when throwing out a hard drive which may have personal info on it, I suggest opening it up and physically destroying the discs inside...

I have a copy of the same software that the US gov uses to demag the HDD's...;) But your idea is the best..same goes for floppies and cd's or dvd's

shuamort said:
So, conceivably, I could move everything over from my 20gb to my 80gb and get the computer to boot off of that to test it, right? If so, can i just go to windows explorer and move everything like that?

no you just cant copy the files over because it wont copy some of the system files you will need. I have software that runs in dos that will copy the entire 20g to the 80g hdd. Then you can boot on the 80g and run the 20 as a slave

shuamort said:
To be honest, I've never done it that way...although that probably is an option...

Here's what I would do...

Format the new hard drive...Add Windows XP(from a CD...upgraded if possible) to the new hard drive...

Then "pick and choose" the programs you want from the old hard drive and copy them to the new one...

It's alot easier to just grab stuff individually and keep your newer hard drive clean than copying an operating system over and having it trip over itself...

cherokee said:
no you just cant copy the files over because it wont copy some of the system files you will need. I have software that runs in dos that will copy the entire 20g to the 80g hdd. Then you can boot on the 80g and run the 20 as a slave
I've got Norton Ghost as part of a package. It looks like it can do it.

For buying stuff if you dont have a wholesellers lic you can check out this website. http://www.tigerdirect.com
I have used them about 15 orders without a problem.

Sometimes they have deals I cant get wholesale....

shuamort said:
I've got Norton Ghost as part of a package. It looks like it can do it.

yes it does look that way...sweet!

"Your system will reboot and load up Ghost's DOS environment and the cloning will be performed."

if your 80 is empty you can test it now...

shuamort said:
Sweet, thanks y'all!

Anytime...buddy
If you need any help let me know...

If cnredd doesnt beat me to it first...lol...

cherokee said:
Anytime...buddy
If you need any help let me know...

If cnredd doesnt beat me to it first...lol...
You know I will...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom